• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking of visiting Tahiti

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We did the Paul Gauguin cruise a couple of years ago (seems like a past lifetime). Expensive and absolutely wonderful. Paul Gauguin was a one-ship cruise line, and they were acquired last year by Ponant. I don't know if any changes are being planned, or how this fits in the new world of coronavirus. https://us.ponant.com/paul-gauguin

If I were doing a land-based tour and not a cruise, I would spend most of my time on Moorea, an easy ferry ride from Tahiti where the international airport is located.
moorea-2_resized.jpg

Bora Bora is probably a must-see if you're going all that distance (and you're willing to pay Air Tahiti's ridiculous fare for a 40-minute flight), but unlike Moorea there's next-to-nothing of interest on Bora Bora's mountain main island so expect to spend all your time at whatever luxe hotel you choose on one or another of the little islets ("motus") that surround it.
bora_bora.jpg

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Buy a multi island package is always an idea. Prior to my Tradewinds cruises I picked an air line package from Air Tahiti. That is the airline that provides flights within FP. (Which is different from Air Tahiti Nui, which is the international carrier.)

Air Tahiti offer multi island packages. https://www.airtahiti.com/multiisland-fares

So I did the Tuamotu Pass. I stayed in Tahiti, then stayed in Tikehau, then back to Raiatea for the cruise, then I stayed in Bora Bora, then back to Tahiti for the international flight. I too used the Pearl as it was a bit more modestly priced. I had a beach bungalow in Tikehau and got upgraded to an Overwater bungalow in Bora Bora.

If you do a lot of island hopping, this is one destination where luggage weight matter. They weigh carry on and luggage. You can buy the pass in two forms, one with a lower weight limit and one with a higher. I bought the lower, but which I had purchased the higher weight one. Those bag charges are expensive, and I had scuba gear with me.

View from room....
Sunrise BB Pearl 2.jpg

Last edited:

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only thing holding me back is not knowing the weather in January. Does rainy season mean cloudy/rainy all day, or just brief showers that pass through on a daily basis?
We sailed with Windstar, previously, on their smallest boat with 148 passengers, and loved it. The guests we met praised the Tahiti cruise so much that we want to experience it as well.

Based on a little temperature and precipitation research, it looks like January in Tahiti is similar to July in Pensacola FL. Expect it to be stormy many afternoons, but not a complete washout.

We met a couple in Tahiti who had just come off the Windstar. Although it was one of the drier months, they had a couple of stormy days and said because it's a small ship, about 50% of the passengers were seasick those days.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'd forgotten I'd started this thread. Seems like a million years ago, pre-Covid-19. Thanks for the bump. Now I need to go back and see if this is even feasible to try and plan. :)

Dave

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We have been to Tahiti twice. The first time was on a Windstar cruise and it was wonderful. We went back two years later and stayed in a beach bungalow at the Intercontinental in Moorea for 5 nights, overwater bungalow at Le Meridien in Bora Bora for 4 nights, and an overwater bungalow at La Tahaa for 4 nights. Plus on each trip we stayed at the Intercontinental in Tahiti on the arrival night. Of all the islands, I loved Tahaa the most. It is remote and hard to get to but idyllic. It has a great reef right in front of the resort. You can see Bora Bora from Le Tahaa. It is pretty upscale so an indulgence. I liked Moorea the second most. There is a lot to do in Moorea compared to the other islands. I liked the location of the Intercontinental because it is close to some motus that are within kayaking distance or a short boat ride away. Windstar also went to some lesser visited islands. For a first trip, you can't beat Windstar as you will get to see a little bit of everything. I would also highly recommend a Tradewinds cruise. We did Tradewinds in St Vincent and the Grenadines and it was fabulous. Next year, we are visiting Fiji on a Tradewinds cruise (assuming it is clear to travel). I was tempted to go to Tahiti again but decided to visit a new place.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
Only thing holding me back is not knowing the weather in January. Does rainy season mean cloudy/rainy all day, or just brief showers that pass through on a daily basis? @Hobokie, you were there in January...would you go again in that month?
@dmbrand, I ABSOLUTELY would go back again. Keep in mind we went LATE Jan (1/29, I believe) and into Feb. We didn't have a single day marked by all rain/all clouds, but I do think it rained at least a little bit every day. It did not feel muggy/humid (I am from Florida originally though, so perhaps my tolerance for annoying humidity is higher than average). I was also concerned about weather when I booked, but read many tripadvisor reviews from folks that said January was fine. Would ABSOLUTELY return in late January/early Feb! Please come back and let us know how your trip was since it sounds like you are ready to pull that trigger!

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
[/QUOTE]
I would also highly recommend a Tradewinds cruise. We did Tradewinds in St Vincent and the Grenadines and it was fabulous. Next year, we are visiting Fiji on a Tradewinds cruise (assuming it is clear to travel). I was tempted to go to Tahiti again but decided to visit a new place.
Question on these Tradewinds cruises... I have seen these on RCI (can only book once every 4 years), is this how you are booking these? Or are you booking independently (not via timeshare)?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

Question on these Tradewinds cruises... I have seen these on RCI (can only book once every 4 years), is this how you are booking these? Or are you booking independently (not via timeshare)?
[/QUOTE]

I booked the first one through RCI. The second one will be through a Tradewinds member on TUG who sold me the points. It is more expensive than RCI but less than buying it on their website.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
I booked the first one through RCI. The second one will be through a Tradewinds member on TUG who sold me the points. It is more expensive than RCI but less than buying it on their website.
Follow up question: is the AI more expensive via RCI vs what a Tradewinds member gets?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Follow up question: is the AI more expensive via RCI vs what a Tradewinds member gets?

I am not sure. @Sandy VDH do you know if the AI is the same for TW members vs the RCI program?

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went to Tahiti for my 30th wedding anniversary three years ago. Great trip. Swam with sharks and manta rays. We took a cruise on a small cruise line called Paul Gauguin. You dont want to go on a big ship. If you want to island hop, take a cruise. We went to a lot of islands and seen a lot. It was 12 day cruise. Went to the famous islands Bora Bora, Morrea and a few others I cant pronounce. Was the most expensive trip I ever took. Cost us about $25K and that included airfare (Washington DC - LAX - Tahiti)..

I would say this. Tahiti was on my bucket list and I'm glad we did it. I probably wouldn't do it a second time because of cost and distance. But it really is beautiful. The nice thing about the cruise was all he snorkeling we could do. We are expert snorkelers and it met every expectation. The small ship (about 300-400 people I believe) made it more personable and real. One of my favorite trips ever and I've been all over the world.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not sure. @Sandy VDH do you know if the AI is the same for TW members vs the RCI program?
The AI is slightly more expensive if you exchange in via RCI than it is for TW members. Diving also included for TW members and it is NOT included via an RCI exchange.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Booking via RCI is basically a 1 in 4 but for ALL bases, not just the location you booked at. So you can exchange in via RCI but only 1 every 4 years.