• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking about the point system-how best to go about it

ljlong15

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
We have 2 weeks-1 special season Marriott Cypress Harbor every year and the other is Sheraton Broadway Plantation every other year also the high season. I know that when it comes to trading I do better on Interval (ex. I trade Marriott Cypress for Hilton Head Grand Ocean in 2nd week of Aug almost every other year.) If I converted to points I would not be able to get that week. I just like the idea of having some points to use on 3/4 night stays at hotels/Vacation clubs. Any suggestions on how best to go about it? Thank you. Also, thinking of buying Marriott Ocean Watch on resale market.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
We have 2 weeks-1 special season Marriott Cypress Harbor every year and the other is Sheraton Broadway Plantation every other year also the high season. I know that when it comes to trading I do better on Interval (ex. I trade Marriott Cypress for Hilton Head Grand Ocean in 2nd week of Aug almost every other year.) If I converted to points I would not be able to get that week. I just like the idea of having some points to use on 3/4 night stays at hotels/Vacation clubs. Any suggestions on how best to go about it? Thank you. Also, thinking of buying Marriott Ocean Watch on resale market.
I agree with renting the points in this situation either transferred or under another members account. If you/re not enrolled, it might be worth enrolling if you can do so for free, then you could have points transferred to you. You could certainly buy 1500 or so points resale if you don't have the option of free enrollment.

ljlong15

TUG Member
Reaction score
No I don't have my weeks enrolled as I wouldn't get the trades(like Cypress Harbour for Grand Ocean Aug week.)

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
What year did you purchase the Cypress Harbour week? Before 2010?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No I don't have my weeks enrolled as I wouldn't get the trades(like Cypress Harbour for Grand Ocean Aug week.)
If you purchase before June, 2010; you could enroll for free, get an included II account and free MVC to MVC exchanges. Then you'd have the option of renting points transferred to you to use without taking points on your owned week.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
You realize that enrolling doesn't commit you to using points- each year you decide what you want to do- stay your ownership, deposit into II or elect points.

ljlong15

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I did purchase both weeks (resale of course) prior to 2010. Hmm, no I didn't realize that. Is there someplace where I can read all about the point system? Thank you

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Yes I did purchase both weeks (resale of course) prior to 2010. Hmm, no I didn't realize that. Is there someplace where I can read all about the point system? Thank you

Go here… https://insider.marriottvacationclub.com/insider/webinars/index.html

Scroll to last webinar….Understanding the Benefits of Enrollment

Take note of the fine print just above the video…
Owners who reside in the U.S. whose weeks were purchased by June 20, 2010, will be offered free enrollment in the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program after viewing this entire presentation.

Additionally, you can watch the Enrolled Owner webinar to learn even more.

Last edited:

ljlong15

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you watched the video. So, I thought initially I would have to pay to enroll as my week at CH as it was purchased in 2004 externally. However, if I interpret this right I can enroll for free by watching the video--correct? Why would someone not enroll then? If I still have the option to trade through Interval as I always do and get my trade to Grande Ocean. Thank you for all the helpful advice.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you watched the video. So, I thought initially I would have to pay to enroll as my week at CH as it was purchased in 2004 externally. However, if I interpret this right I can enroll for free by watching the video--correct? Why would someone not enroll then? If I still have the option to trade through Interval as I always do and get my trade to Grande Ocean. Thank you for all the helpful advice.
Yes it is free for weeks purchased before 2010. Yes each year you can stay your ownership, deposit into II or elect points. And once enrolled you can rent points.

I enrolled myself for the fee savings which were quite substantial since I lock off and exchange both pieces in network.
Club dues are $239 for my 1 week and includes II membership fee, free in network (MVC, Vistana, Westin) exchange (so no need for eplus) and free lock off.

But you can only have enrolled weeks in that II account included with the club dues so you need to still pay for another II membership if you have unenrolled weeks.
It might still be a saving even with out lockoff and only 1 exchange with your Cypress Harbour but you would need to run the numbers- I don’t know exactly what the unenrolled costs are since I’m enrolled.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You would have an annual fee for your enrolled week which would cover your corporate ii account and marriott/westin exchanges for enrolled week but you would also have to continue to pay for a personal ii account for your SBP week.

ljlong15

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't enroll the SBP week even though I purchased it prior to 2010 as it was not a Marriott back then--is that correct understanding? Thank you

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I can't enroll the SBP week even though I purchased it prior to 2010 as it was not a Marriott back then--is that correct understanding? Thank you
That is correct. If it isn't in VSN, then it can't be enrolled. At least not on the cheap. If it is in VSN (with StarOptions), then it should already be in Abound.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is correct. If it isn't in VSN, then it can't be enrolled. At least not on the cheap. If it is in VSN (with StarOptions), then it should already be in Abound.
Could it be in the corporate MVC II account covered by the club dues if it is in abound?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Could it be in the corporate MVC II account covered by the club dues if it is in abound?
Right now, VSN Vistana weeks are in their own Vistana II Corp Account. They theoretically are covered by the VSN fee, which is now the Club Dues. They are also supposed to get $0 exchange fees, but those are apparently not available online and you have to call to get them waived. It wouldn't get put into a MVC Corp II account, even if it is in Abound.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
also this thread is helpful, sometimes you can work a deal to enroll for ownerships purchased after 2010 as well!

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
Only my opinion, but I've lived this experience.

The first issue with respect to buying into the Vacations Club points system should be whether you are able to book the reservations you want. The points program is sold as a "get what you want, where you want it, and at any time" system. This is simply not true. So, make sure you are comfortable with this before you get too far. Also, keep in mind that the success of the program relies heavily on deposits of owned weeks for points by week owners. One way to test availability is to have the sales guy open the computer and show you bookable points reservations you want in the months ahead.

The second issue is the expense of the points alternative in relation to other options such as buying resales for use, trading through Interval, or renting.

It's interesting as I read this forum to note the frequency of serious and seasoned timeshare participants who seem to use means other than points for their timeshare experiences. Many of us seem to own points primarily to enhance our experience with our legacy "owned week base" program.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Only my opinion, but I've lived this experience.

The first issue with respect to buying into the Vacations Club points system should be whether you are able to book the reservations you want. The points program is sold as a "get what you want, where you want it, and at any time" system. This is simply not true. So, make sure you are comfortable with this before you get too far. Also, keep in mind that the success of the program relies heavily on deposits of owned weeks for points by week owners. One way to test availability is to have the sales guy open the computer and show you bookable points reservations you want in the months ahead.
I know you you these but for others benefit that might not, I think that's true with any timeshare option whether it be points, exchanging or a floating weeks system. The only option that totally guarantees availability is a fixed week system, usually those are fixed units as well and for most, far more expensive. For me I feel that the first question is whether I can afford it, to me that's pay cash and be comfortable with the yearly fees. Then the next question is whether timeshares in generally will be a good choice. These include questions like where do I want to go? What unit size do I need? How flexible am I? Will I go there routinely? Can I plan ahead sufficiently, usually 12-13 months out? What length of reservation will I normally need? Then comes the questions of the likelihood and ease of getting reservations I want/need with each option and a financial analysis of the various options.
The second issue is the expense of the points alternative in relation to other options such as buying resales for use, trading through Interval, or renting.
I agree. I do think far too many people try to look at the "perfect" option and overlook options that would be a better balance in the long run considering cost, such as exchanging. IMO one should have some direct experience with timeshares and a given system before taking the plunge. Even then I would tend to prefer the low cost, low risk option that may not work perfectly, usually a good exchanging unit when looking at MVC. It's much easier to undo a $2000 trading purchase than a $50K points option. OTOH, some people try to do something on the cheap that's not very likely to be successful in their situation to avoid paying more for a better option that will be more expensive up front.
It's interesting as I read this forum to note the frequency of serious and seasoned timeshare participants who seem to use means other than points for their timeshare experiences. Many of us seem to own points primarily to enhance our experience with our legacy "owned week base" program.
As I've said several times, I use them all to complement each other (own, exchange, points and also other timeshare systems). But that requires a certain volume and $$$ commitment that isn't reasonable initially for most people starting out. Still, I do think it best to plan 5, 7 even 10 years out rather than looking at the next couple of years only.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I agree with Dean's post. My best use is with exchanging weeks, deeded weeks (some fixed), Abound points, Free Night Awards (from stays and credit cards), Marriott reward points and as a last resort, cash. Have not used much Abound points right now but have in the past for certain weeks.

One thing about timeshares is the always changing landscape.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you purchase before June, 2010; you could enroll for free, get an included II account and free MVC to MVC exchanges. Then you'd have the option of renting points transferred to you to use without taking points on your owned week.
I dont understand the “for free” thing. We purchased a week direct through Marriot resales in 2017 that was a prior to 2010 legacy week…no points. When we sat in on a presentation, they offered us enrollment for free, with a $26,000 purchase of points. What am I missing? Which part of enrollment is free?

We have a gold season week and have used it in either April (Spring break) or October. We specifically wanted outside of the summer months and the season is perfect for us, but we never used it to trade because it seems a bit difficult to do. The only place I would want to trade for is Key West in the Fall, or Myrtle Beach in a summer here and there - for our daughter’s family (shes a teacher).

TIA
Dee

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont understand the “for free” thing. We purchased a week direct through Marriot resales in 2017 that was a prior to 2010 legacy week…no points. When we sat in on a presentation, they offered us enrollment for free, with a $26,000 purchase of points. What am I missing? Which part of enrollment is free?

We have a gold season week and have used it in either April (Spring break) or October. We specifically wanted outside of the summer months and the season is perfect for us, but we never used it to trade because it seems a bit difficult to do. The only place I would want to trade for is Key West in the Fall, or Myrtle Beach in a summer here and there - for our daughter’s family (shes a teacher).

TIA
Dee
If YOU had purchase prior to the cutoff date in 2010, at the time you could have enrolled for a fee. The fee was anywhere from $595 to $1995 IIRC depending on how many weeks and whether ANY of them were resale weeks. Since then one could still do the same thing but the fees have increased. Of recent years there have been 2 ways to enroll for free. One is to watch a webinar online and the other as an incentive to attend a sales presentation. I haven't heard of the latter being offered in a couple of years but the webinar is still an option from what I hear. Since you bought resale in 2017, your week would not qualify for free enrollment if it did not come enrolled since it's based on when you purchased, not the original date of sale.

DeeCee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Since we are not interested in purchasing Marriott points, and cannot enroll our week, we will continue to use it as we had originally intended when we bought it; enjoying our Spring or Fall week on the beach!

Dee

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If YOU had purchase prior to the cutoff date in 2010, at the time you could have enrolled for a fee. The fee was anywhere from $595 to $1995 IIRC depending on how many weeks and whether ANY of them were resale weeks. Since then one could still do the same thing but the fees have increased. Of recent years there have been 2 ways to enroll for free. One is to watch a webinar online and the other as an incentive to attend a sales presentation. I haven't heard of the latter being offered in a couple of years but the webinar is still an option from what I hear. Since you bought resale in 2017, your week would not qualify for free enrollment if it did not come enrolled since it's based on when you purchased, not the original date of sale.
I beleive the fee went up to something like $2,395 for a while regardless of how many you enrolled or where they came from. They also came with a big bundle of Plus Points. Though it looks like the fee has been back to the $595 to $1995 for a while now. The free with webinar is pretty buried in the website, though the fee for enrollment is still promoted if you go through the regular enrollment flow. The webinar option is only available to US residents.