• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking about NYC..... M Marquis or Manhattan Club?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We're considering a trip to NYC this summer, just for about 5 days. For anyone who may have experienced either Marriott Marquis Hotel (or another) on Rewards Points OR staying at Manhattan Club (or both ever, at diff. times), which would you choose and why? We'll have 2 teens, ages 19 and 16, and so 4 people in all. We don't mind the hotel with four, tho, but the other things would make the difference, like overall stuff. May just chunk it all and do a great hotel overlooking Central Park. We may or may not be going back, as we try to do different things. Any strong feelings? Thanks, jme :)

suskey

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the Marriott you would have a great location..pretty much walk to many mid-town activities..Broadway-Times Square,5th Avenue(Rock Center), 34th Street(MSG & Macy's). If you get a hotel overlooking Central Park- you are up on 59th Street or higher. Manhattan Club is at 56-57th.

With teenagers I would opt for Marriott..although 4 in a room would not be my cup of tea. M CLub- your accomodations would be bigger if that is important to you.

Susan

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
A lot of people don't like the Marquis due to VERY slow elevators, but by now they MAY have fixed them. I like the hotel when I was there - room was almost 500 feet and I had a Times Square view that was great even on points for the week. Huge hotel - takes up a whole city block. JW's Steakhouse in hotel has a great garlic encrusted steak. The revolving restaurant on the roof had a great view and good food...with great bar adjacent. There's a Broadway Threatre right in the building - Annie when we were there. Great location for first time visit.

The much smaller Ren is a 5 min walk, on Times Square too and a Cat. 7 hotel, and gets better reviews although there's no parking if you have a car. I"ve not stayed there yet as I got into the former JW Rihga Royal and enjoyed their suites and 'off Times Square' location on 54th. Haven't been to NYC since the Rihga was delisted by Marriott but did book the Ren for New Years week, but had a gallbladder operation instead. :) The Rihga and Ren have only 1 restaurant - the Marquis has about 6 I think. Can't comment on the Manhattan Club but it may not have room service or a built in restaurant...but in NYC you don't have to venture far to find food.

http://www.rihgaroyalny.com/

Brian

taxare

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marty,

I can't speak to the Manhattan Club. I have stayed at the Marquis a couple of times, and I thought it was average and the elevators drove me nuts. Even with their renovation I think they are still a problem. Like Brian, the Rihga was one of my favorites but they are undergoing a significant renovation and I have been warned by my colleagues to stay away. This weekend I am going for a theatre trip and staying at the new Residence Inn near Times Square. So far the rates are quite reasonable. If you want to stay at Times Square because you want to be close to the theatre district I would also look into the Doubletree Suites and the Westin. Otherwise I personally prefer to stay more uptown close to Central Park, Columbus Circle etc. The new Mandarin Oriental is ONLY $750/night! :eek:

anne1125

TUG Member
Reaction score
Used Marriott points to stay at Marquis around Christmas and it was great. No elevator problem at all.

They do a really good breakfast buffet.

We also saw a show there and never had leave the hotel.

Anne

chris5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Been at both -- take the Marriott

You'll get a few extra square feet at the Manhattan Club, but that's about it. With the Marquis, you get great location, especially for many teens, who'd be within a few steps away from TRL (the MTV thing); and you'll be across the street from GMA if you want to try to get on the show, and all of you can get the early jump on the discount ticket line for the theatre. Of course, the Manhattan Club is close to the Museum of Modern Art and Carnegie Hall. Now if you want superior lodging try the Ritz Carlton Central Park for 200,000 reward points for 5 days. I've haven't stayed there, but I've stayed at the Battery Park Ritz, which had excellent lodging.

Tom M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Marbella Beach Club

formerly:
Marriott Sunset Pointe
We have stayed at both the Marriott Marquis and the Manhattan Club.

The Marquis has all the features of a full-service luxury hotel and it is in a prime location. The Manhattan Club, though, will give you a little bit more privacy with not quite the breadth of services of the Marriott (plus you won't get Marriott Reward Points)

The locaton for the Manhattan Club is pretty good. Short walk to Central Park or Times Square and very close to the subway. You might apprecaite the ability for the parents to go to a private room while the kids can stay up watching tv in the living room.

(We stayed at the Parc Central -- which is in the same building as the Manhattan Club -- last February when NYC has in the midst of a blizzard. It was very weird looking down on the almost empty Manhattan streets. The subway entrance was right on the corner and were able to trek down to Union Square for dinner.)

Bottom line: either would be great.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Thanks, now...WHEN?

Would you opt for a mid-December (Christmas) experience, given all the travel to NYC then and airport woes and weather, OR would you simply want to go during summer? There are advantages to both, but some disadvantages too. thoughts? jme

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
...but is it also one of the busiest times in New York and prices are very high for rooms. Difficult to reserve also.

suskey said:
I am a native New Yorker..and there is nothing like Christmas here. It is magical...

Susan

taxare

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marty,

I have to agree that New York is wonderful during Christmas time. Radio City, Rockefeller Center, Fifth Ave, etc, etc. If you want to use points I would book something now, without ordering the certificate. You can always cancel. It is tough to get rooms from Thanksgiving to New Years.

Beverley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have stayed at both and I would prefer the Manhatten Club because it has better accommodations considering 4 people; can buy a meal and take left overs easily for snacks; proximity to Central Park, Lincoln Center, Rockefellar Plaza, Trump Tower/ 5th ave shopping; and Time Square are all excellent. I like it better, particularly with teenagers to actually not be staying at 44th Street but a little away yet close enough to easily walk over.

The hotel is a hub of activity/ not all hotel quests, on the lower levels. The checkin level I think is around the 4th or 7th floor. Others can correct that if I am a little off. Although I worked in Manhatten for a few years, I would be concerned if your teenagers do not easily know their way around or have not had prior city experience. Considering they may want to go off a little on their own, I would be concerned with the temptation for them to go off on their own at Times Square. Just me.

Beverley

td0804

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're like my family, you'll spend very little time at the resort - NYC has too much stuff to do - and given the time of the year, you could even venture out to Hamptons/Montauk that that's an all-day trip.

kathleenpeyer

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Beverly.

I am a Marriott addict (own 3 weeks of TS and stay in Marriotts all over the world, by choice), as well as a Manhattan Club owner, and I would choose the MC over the Marriott Marquis any day of the week - especially with 2 teens in tow. We have 3 grown children and you can't beat the savings and the convenience of the MC, especially at Christmas.
BEST TIME OF THE YEAR IN NYC!
There is nothing to compare with the convenience of having your own apartment for the privacy of 2 rooms with 2 full bathrooms and 2 TVs/VCRs etc. And if your teens are reluctant to share the queen size sofa bed, you can have a roll-a-way bed (sturdy with a good thick single bed mattress) free of charge.
Breakfast and an occasional lunch or supper in your apartment can be a big savings, not to mention convenient and comfy. If you are not into that, continental breakfast is available for $10 per person at the MC and the restaurant in the Park Central Hotel (same building) is convenient, as well as the classic diner style cafe (less expensive) across the street in the Wellington Hotel and a more upscale "European" experience at the Cafe Europa 2 blocks north towards Central Park. Associated (grocery store) is a block away and there are plenty of good delis, restaurants, liquor stores, bakeries and bagel shops within 2 or 3 blocks of the MC ....and oh, yes, an absolutely great seafood restaurant across the street. What more can I say? Location! If you want to be in Times Square, go there but don't stay there. It's a short subway ride away (subway stop, 1 block from MC ) or a brisk walk (when in midtown, I ONLY walk). And consider the cost of the Marquis or the amount of points you'll have to give up to accommodate 4 people in a room with 2 double beds and 1 bathroom (with 2 teenagers?? for a whole week??) in a hotel that is as busy as Grand Central Station and charges you an exorbitant price for every little extra. I've done both and the MC is the better choice, by far.

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ditto.

Of course, this is the TIMESHARE Users Group! Most of us prefer (or even demand) the extra room that a timeshare provides.

I've spent 5 days each year for the last five years at the Righa Royal between Christmas and New Year's, all on Marriott Rewards points. Now we have to figure out what to do to replace it. I agree with the above poster - what a great time to be in the city. The RR is two blocks from the MC and I absolutely prefer this area to Times Square. The theaters are all of 6-10 blocks away and I greatly prefer being a small distance from the madness. We NEVER take the subway and have had no problem walking to all the things we do in the area.

My wife and I have very different sleep habits and being in a single room for that amount of time is no vacation to me. Add your two teenagers and it might be nuts.

Now I have to figure out what to do now that the RR is no longer part of the Marriott chain. My guess is that we'll buy a resale at the MC. It was nice while it lasted.