• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

There's a new list of best airports, and this is the only U.S. airport on it

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is your wake up call? Where have you been for the last 25 years?
I've been here!!! I realize it's been something that's declining for a long time. Still sad . I would like to see more presence for one if the richest and powerful countries that's all. Shrug .

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's fine. But there are "easy" airports and "not at all easy" airports. OAK, SJC, LAS and PHX are all examples of easy airports. They're easy to get to and from the city they service. OAK aside, they're in fairly nice areas of town -- or at least close enough to fairly nice areas that if there is a big change in itinerary, there's someplace decent to camp. (Hofbrauhaus or Lotus of Siam in Las Vegas are ideal examples of "I don't want to spend airport prices but I have three hours to kill.) They're easy to get around once inside and through security. They have amenities which make sense for their location -- such as smoking areas for Las Vegas nicotine addicts.

And then you have the super easy airports -- always small venues -- such as GJT, EYW, or ASE.

And most US airports pale in comparison to foreign airports -- which boast non-stop light rail transit to "the good part of the city," food and drink which is not only tasty, it's often around the same price as what you'd pay outside the airport. Germany, for instance, charges the same amount for a beer no matter where the beer is purchased.

And even the big foreign airports which are a pain are less of a pain than the big US airports. I'd fly into CDG every day and twice on Sunday over JFK. PEK is far away from Beijing, but has a bullet train linking it to the city center. I'd take PEK any day over LAX or SFO. I can get to my favorite little town in Germany in 30 minutes flat after getting out of my seat at FRA.

And these are cities that never had the wide streets, open spaces and infrastructure that we enjoy. If they can make it work, why can't we?
My thoughts exactly... what's our problem?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
What? No ATL? <ducking>
Actually, for larger airports, I like Salt Lake City & Phoenix.
For a small regional, I like Bozeman-Yellowstone.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I've been here!!! I realize it's been something that's declining for a long time. Still sad . I would like to see more presence for one if the richest and powerful countries that's all. Shrug .

It's difficult to be objective about one's own country when compared to others. While this is especially true for those who don't travel, there's this innate belief among many that "we" are/should be better/best, when history proves otherwise.

I actually think many airports in the US are quite good, though there are some which utterly fail. I changed planes at HOU in January for the first time and I found it quite decent for many reasons, though for the last ~5 years I tend to only travel non-stop within the US for the very reasons mentioned above. Most airports are okay if I'm not transiting, but then... I use LAX as a benchmark, and it's not the best.

FWIW, I thought LIS was just okay.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's difficult to be objective about one's own country when compared to others. While this is especially true for those who don't travel, there's this innate belief among many that "we" are/should be better/best, when history proves otherwise.

I actually think many airports in the US are quite good, though there are some which utterly fail. I changed planes at HOU in January for the first time and I found it quite decent for many reasons, though for the last ~5 years I tend to only travel non-stop within the US for the very reasons mentioned above. Most airports are okay if I'm not transiting, but then... I use LAX as a benchmark, and it's not the best.

I agree. Lisbon is just OK but there are many beautiful airports around the world..many I've never seen!! Didn't make the list either. I just expect more from the USA that's all.... I also like the convenience of train access and subways into the downtowns I'm many countries aside from Europe... even Lisbon has the metro into town but sadly no train.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I agree. Lisbon is just OK but there are many beautiful airports around the world..many I've never seen!! Didn't make the list either. I just expect more from the USA that's all.... I also like the convenience of train access and subways into the downtowns I'm many countries aside from Europe... even Lisbon has the metro into town but sadly no train.

I’ve been to Portugal several times, but when I arrived a few months ago I was exhausted when I got off the plane and grabbed a taxi. The airport taxi line sent me to a large taxi, and only when I arrived at the hotel did the driver bother to tell me that the large taxis charge more. I remember this in some countries in the past, but hadn’t experienced this in Portugal previously. I was irritated since the taxi ultimately cost more than the hotel limo and a smaller taxi would have been less than half the cost. Signage was poor, though the driver pointed to a small line on the outside of the taxi which said something about it being more expensive (of course, I couldn’t see it since I wasn’t wearing my glasses at the time). I blame the airport for directing me to it and the driver for not confirming before the ride, when it was obvious I would have fit in a smaller taxi. Yup, this is what I remember from my time at LIS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Ken
..that's why Lisbon didn't make the cut... alot of improvements needed. The only larger taxis that charge more are handicapped that I'm aware of. Havent heard about this mor ever experienced it... signage is a problem... agree There's also the Metro directly into town. Or Uber across the street... I agree the driver should have told you. There's been growing resentment here with the taxis vs Uber and influx of tourists.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve been to Portugal several times, but when I arrived a few months ago I was exhausted when I got off the plane and grabbed a taxi. The airport taxi line sent me to a large taxi, and only when I arrived at the hotel did the driver bother to tell me that the large taxis charge more. I remember this in some countries in the past, but hadn’t experienced this in Portugal previously. I was irritated since the taxi ultimately cost more than the hotel limo and a smaller taxi would have been less than half the cost. Signage was poor, though the driver pointed to a small line on the outside of the taxi which said something about it being more expensive (of course, I couldn’t see it since I wasn’t wearing my glasses at the time). I blame the airport for directing me to it and the driver for not confirming before the ride, when it was obvious I would have fit in a smaller taxi. Yup, this is what I remember from my time at LIS.

Lisbon isn't the airport on the list!! Why focus on that particular airport? Munich , Amsterdam, Helsinki all have great transportation options and run well... also none made list so it's a matter of preference for the writer. :) sorry to hear you had a lousy experience.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score

I like Bradley International in Hartford, CT. Small and compact and has gotten a bit of a facelift!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Lisbon isn't the airport on the list!! Why focus on that particular airport? Munich , Amsterdam, Helsinki all have great transportation options and run well... also none made list so it's a matter of preference for the writer. :) sorry to hear you had a lousy experience.

Haha. Just commenting about it since I know you're in Portugal.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haha. Just commenting about it since I know you're in Portugal.
Ah I see !!! Newsflash... there's talk about building a new airport across the river... of course the usual back and forth ... so even further away from the city !

Another discussion.. dire need for a direct train to Madrid. Talk of tracks from Porto... :)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Another discussion.. dire need for a direct train to Madrid. Talk of tracks from Porto... :)

Yes! I was looking at trains from/to Lisbon and it's not easy.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes! I was looking at trains from/to Lisbon and it's not easy.
Not easy at all... Portugal can be quite isolated. Friends and I were just discussing even a direct train ftom Madrid to Paris... there isn't one and it's a long journey wuth a change. This part of Europe has some catching up to fo with Switzerland, France, Germany, Etc etc.. up and down Portugal isn't too bad but again you can muss the smaller places with no service...

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Not easy at all... Portugal can be quite isolated. Friends and I were just discussing even a direct train ftom Madrid to Paris... there isn't one and it's a long journey wuth a change. This part of Europe has some catching up to fo with Switzerland, France, Germany, Etc etc.. up and down Portugal isn't too bad but again you can muss the smaller places with no service...

Be careful what you wish for.

I remember when nobody really cared about the Amalfi coast. It took several train changes in order to get to the vicinity. And going there meant a lot of hiking. Then it got easier to visit and pictures of the five most famous villages starting leaking out all over the Internet.

Now there are thousands of people, being led by tour guides shouting into megaphones.

Last time I was there, I took the first train away from the craziness and went to a town Rick Steves has never mentioned. (And here's hoping he leaves some places undisturbed for the people who dislike selfie-crazed tour groups.)

My favorite thing about the Douro is that it's like the Amalfi coast was 30 years ago. Not as well traveled. Not as convenient. Not jam-packed with selfie-crazed tour groups.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

I remember when nobody really cared about the Amalfi coast. It took several train changes in order to get to the vicinity. And going there meant a lot of hiking. Then it got easier to visit and pictures of the five most famous villages starting leaking out all over the Internet.

Now there are thousands of people, being led by tour guides shouting into megaphones.

Last time I was there, I took the first train away from the craziness and went to a town Rick Steves has never mentioned. (And here's hoping he leaves some places undisturbed for the people who dislike selfie-crazed tour groups.)

My favorite thing about the Douro is that it's like the Amalfi coast was 30 years ago. Not as well traveled. Not as convenient. Not jam-packed with selfie-crazed tour groups.

Flights to Lisbon and Porto are cheap. It’s not like tourists don’t have options. And fwiw, when I visited the Amalfi Coast I did it by car…Portugal is not Italy.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Flights to Lisbon and Porto are cheap. It’s not like tourists don’t have options. And fwiw, when I visited the Amalfi Coast I did it by car…Portugal is not Italy.

Most people are like water, or herd animals -- they take the path of least resistance. Imagine what Mt. Everest would be like if there was a pressurized cable car to the top.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Most people are like water, or herd animals -- they take the path of least resistance. Imagine what Mt. Everest would be like if there was a pressurized cable car to the top.

Why are you always so negative? We were discussing fast trains to one of Europe’s major cities, and you are comparing it to the Amalfi Coast. I haven’t seen such a misguided comparison in a long time.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
We were discussing fast trains to one of Europe’s major cities, and you are comparing it to the Amalfi Coast.

Lisbon is also one of Europe's most charming cities. Mass tourism hasn't spoiled it yet. Travelers should be thankful that Portugal isn't on the average tourist's radar. Making it easy to visit will be a boon to residents. And businesses. But there's always the flip side.

For instance, the amount of fast food joints has exploded in the last few years. It's still not as bad as elsewhere in Europe. That's the canary in the coal mine.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Lisbon is also one of Europe's most charming cities. Mass tourism hasn't spoiled it yet. Travelers should be thankful that Portugal isn't on the average tourist's radar. Making it easy to visit will be a boon to residents. And businesses. But there's always the flip side.

For instance, the amount of fast food joints has exploded in the last few years. It's still not as bad as elsewhere in Europe. That's the canary in the coal mine.

I was in Lisbon a few months ago, and will be again next month. There are lots of tourists there. Your info is outdated.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I was in Lisbon a few months ago, and will be again next month. There are lots of tourists there. Your info is outdated.

Los Angeles wouldn't notice if 50,000 more people started visiting each month, thanks to rail improvements. Lisbon would be swamped. How much is too much? Depends on the city.

For real-world examples, see Key West, Maui, Venice, Monterosso.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Los Angeles wouldn't notice if 50,000 more people started visiting each month, thanks to rail improvements. Lisbon would be swamped. How much is too much? Depends on the city.

For real-world examples, see Key West, Maui, Venice, Monterosso.

Once again, you jump to conclusions. Do you have any idea how many tourists Lisbon has now? Likely not.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Once again, you jump to conclusions. Do you have any idea how many tourists Lisbon has now? Likely not.

I know it isn't as tourist crazy as London or Pisa. What's the population there? Half a million? Pretty sure it's close to half a million. It's like Dublin, with far fewer visitors.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't hate LA at all. Just driving there. I'd rather have a root canal than be stuck in an LA traffic jam.

When I first started going there, I loved the metro, too -- usually had an entire car to myself because everyone else was in a car. Now the metro is basically a homeless shelter. I have a standard itinerary on my Los Angeles trips which starts with either the best ramen soup on the mainland or the best sandwich in North America. (New Orleans comes in second.) And then it ends in Hollywood at the Star Wars bar. Loads of craft beer, outstanding restaurants and record stores in between.

Whatever direction they've been going with their homeless and metro problems over the past five years is the wrong direction. San Francisco is tame and polite, comparatively.
Where is the 3rd best? Or 15th? I and other are interested.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
V

My favorite thing about the Douro is that it's like the Amalfi coast was 30 years ago. Not as well traveled. Not as convenient. Not jam-packed with selfie-crazed tour grougroups

So true ..yet people here in Portugal do not have the same wages and are finding it difficult to make ends meet. I know what you mean, easy access means more people and loss of charm. Algarve is still nice and not as built up as Costa del Sol