• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Royal Mayan after 2013 ?

gmdds1

TUG Member
Reaction score
On this thread everyone is only guessing as to when usage of the Mayan will cease. I own week 4 at the Mayan and my contract states that I will have usage of my unit, week 4, 2014 (1/25/14 - 2/1/14). (That will be my last week 4 usage)

I will consider buying back in, but have never rec'd any so-called survey nor ever rec'd any information from the Royals as of yet. However, if the residuals are messed with and/or not paid in full.....I would predict a major drop in other Royals values.

Last edited:

Ellis2ca

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
"If the residuals are messed with and/or not paid..."

> if the residuals are messed with and/or not paid in full.....I would predict a major drop in other Royals values.

That is precisely why the residuals will not be messed with and/or not paid in full.

The developers have the BEST REPUTATION in the timeshare industry, not only for running 6 great resorts in a manner that NOBODY ELSE in the industry does, (fixed weeks, fixed villas, no hanky panky with "points" which allows them to sell more than 100% of their property... residual values... they help you to sell your timeshare, if you want to sell it... etc...) but also because (to the surprise of all who said it wouldn't happen...) they ALREADY PAID the residual values at Vacation Clubs...

NOTE: I, myself, got $34,500 residuals, which I chose to reinvest in three duplex Villas for another 30 years... I could have received the $34,500 cash, (I think they repaid those who chose to receive their residuals in three years) all in peak peak season (Christmas and New Year)... The renewal cost me $13,000 for all three duplex villas, and I make a profit renting them out.

And they are not going to throw it down the drain.

What do the developers want? They want to get THEIR SHARE OF THE PIE...

And they won't get their share of the pie if we don't get ours, first.

When THEY wrote the contract, they wrote that WE GET the first part of the pie... they don't get a nickle, unless WE get paid 100% of our residual value.

So you CAN BE 100% CERTAIN that they will NOT sell the Royal Mayan for $40,000,000 or any such sum that would not be enough to pay US our residual values FIRST...

And HOW can they do that? They cannot sell the Royal Mayan as a whole, to somebody else, because they will never get paid enough to pay us all our residual value... So they have to sell it as timeshare AGAIN.

STOP WORRYING about them pulling a fast stunt... they have NEVER played a dirty trick on us, and I am sure they are not planning to start now. Did we EVER get a "special assessment" on top of the maintainance fees? Not even AFTER HURRICANE WILMA, which caused considerable damage (but not "serious" damage at any of the 5 Royal Resorts... Serious damage caused to the Fiesta Americanas... Hilton... Hyatt... Omni... Marriott... etc.)

They wrote the contract with our best interest in their mind. And the BEST STUNT they can pull (again) is for ALL OF US to get our residual value, and THEN THEY WILL GET an equal part, AFTER we have gotten our part...

The ONLY way to do that is to RESELL IT AS A TIMESHARE AGAIN.

When they built the Royal Mayan, they BORROWED MONEY FROM MEMBERS of Vacation Clubs and they built the Royal Mayan and gave the persons who lent them money either their money back with a very high interest rate, or they could buy with a very good discount. They had what they called "investor special" which is the F building, which was sold dirt cheap, and I am sure anybody who bought there has made an excellent investment.

This time around, they don't have to borrow money. The buildings are all there, they have been improved since we received them 30 years ago, and maintainance is perfect. Maybe they will renovate a bit, and surely the swimming pools will be heated, and the Villas redecorated, perhaps the drainage and some infrastructure will be repaired, but in essence, it is all there.... This time around they already have thousands of people who KNOW THEM and are willing to buy, and their reputation is as perfect as it can be.

If each week sells for more than twice the residual value, there is nothing difficult to understand about the math: there will be money for us to get our residual value half, and the developers will get their share, too. My week 52 has a residual value of $12,000 and I am PRETTY SURE that it will re-sell for much more than $24,000... So I am VERY SURE that I will receive my $12,000.

So DON'T EVEN THINK "If the residuals are messed with and/or not paid..." because it is not an option for the developers.

Ellis

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Forgive me for stating the obvious, but for any sale to take place, there must be a buyer(s) willing to pay the negotiated selling price.

Members of the Royal Mayan will be given a choice at the end of the term, 1. reinvest in another term or 2. cash out. I have zero data other than intestinal feedback to support this, but I would predict the majority will choose to cash out. If more members choose to cash out, the resort will be sold to the highest bidder. The question then is, in today's market, and given the surplus of TS units in Cancun, who is going to buy the Royal Mayan at a pice that will support members investment payout, plus developer fees?

In the case of VCI, the majority of members expressed they would reinvest, but in the end, many backed out of their end of the deal, and chose instead to cash out. The RR management have learned from this experience, and won't be fooled again. Expect a different scenario to play out at the Royal Mayan. ;)

Last edited:

gmdds1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's hope you're correct.

Why were those at VCI who wanted their residual cash paid over 3 years vs. written a check. It seems that that could have been handled better, especially with 30 years to plan for that eventual obligation....the same thing will go for the Mayan (however, we don't yet know how the Mayan will be handled).

I have enjoyed all my Royals through the years and will certainly look to "re-up", depending on the offer.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score

Why were those at VCI who wanted their residual cash paid over 3 years vs. written a check. It seems that that could have been handled better, especially with 30 years to plan for that eventual obligation....the same thing will go for the Mayan (however, we don't yet know how the Mayan will be handled).

I have enjoyed all my Royals through the years and will certainly look to "re-up", depending on the offer.

Times have changed. Again, there's a surplus of TS units in Cancun and the Riviera Maya. When you can rent any week you wish for less than the cost of the annual maintenance fee, it surprises me that anyone would be happy to shell out a large sum of money to purchase, then pay annual maintenance fees on top of that. The only benefit I see for members, if it even is one, is that they know what villa they'll be checking into. That's it.

But hey, to each their own.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score

The answer is in my post, above.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

I believe it was because they needed to raise cash with resales in order to pay back those who wanted out. :confused: :confused:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
.....Why were those at VCI who wanted their residual cash paid over 3 years vs. written a check. .....

"In the case of VCI, the majority of members expressed they would reinvest, but in the end, many backed out of their end of the deal, and chose instead to cash out"

gejone

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the Royals as I traded in to the Royal Mayan and arrived on Feb. 25, 2012. Today we took a tour and they mentioned how the RM would be closing in 2013. I had a disussion with one of the senior guides and he advised me the RM would be sold to the highest bidder. They will follow the procedure called for within the orignial contract. More than likely, they can't guarantee this, each owner would receive their initial investment plus a percentage of any money left after that computation. The contract ties their hands and like the OP said, they have their hands filled with other properties to sell. So far we are really impressed with the RM, it's helps we're in the M building, ocean front. We will trade back to a Royal on our next trip to Cancun.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the Royals as I traded in to the Royal Mayan and arrived on Feb. 25, 2012. Today we took a tour and they mentioned how the RM would be closing in 2013. I had a disussion with one of the senior guides and he advised me the RM would be sold to the highest bidder. They will follow the procedure called for within the orignial contract. More than likely, they can't guarantee this, each owner would receive their initial investment plus a percentage of any money left after that computation. The contract ties their hands and like the OP said, they have their hands filled with other properties to sell. So far we are really impressed with the RM, it's helps we're in the M building, ocean front. We will trade back to a Royal on our next trip to Cancun.

It's good to hear that you like the Royals and have a chance to enjoy the Mayan! Don't miss the Mexican buffet and dance show at the Palapa on Monday, and be sure to wander through all the Tris as well. :hi:

goodjobwm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm considering trading an II week to stay at ROYAL MAYAN.
Among all The ROYAL Resorts (CANCUN, CARIBBEAN, ISLANDER, MAYAN, SAND), would the Royal Mayan be the best of all ?
If it's a traded week, can we sign up for all-inclusive ? is it expensive ?
We're a family of 5, 2 teenagers and a little toddler.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :)

moonlightgraham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Among all The ROYAL Resorts (CANCUN, CARIBBEAN, ISLANDER, MAYAN, SAND), would the Royal Mayan be the best of all ?

The Royals are not all-inclusive but the Tri's do offer a variety of restaurants on the three properties (and bars too!) with the charges being assessed to your account, which you settle-up at week's end.

That being said, I suggest listing all three properties (RM,RC, RI) in your II request to improve your chances of getting filled as all three are very similar plus you'll be able to use the facilities at all three no matter which villa you are assigned to. All three resorts pools have nice shallow childrens areas for the toddlers (RI has a separate kiddie pool) and plenty of sunning and "showing off" areas for the teens. It's a great place and again I wouldn't limit your request to the Mayan, go for all three to improve your chances!

The Sands and Royal Cancun are standalone and nice properties and many here will swear they are their favorites with the Sands having a noticeably large contingent of rabid fans. And you may want to add the Sands to the list of requested resorts. It's the newest of the Cancun properties and nice but it always seemed to lack a little of the charm that the Tri's have in abundunce, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

gejone

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've walked thru all three resorts and from the pool deck they all pretty much look the same. The Mayan pool is not heated, but it is pretty close to the Carbbean pool which is. All of the units in all three resorts are two bedrooms. I would definitely suggest a 2 bed for your crew. The one bedroom has two Murphy beds in the living room and cribs are available. None of the Royals are all inclusive. There is a small grocery market on site and the prices aren't bad. Walmart is a 30 min. bus ride. The bus system is very easy. It's 8.5 pesos, about $.75 vs. a $12 cab ride. We've waited more than 5 min. for a bus. You will have a full kitchen so if you want to save money on food, it is very easy. We've really enjoyed the Royals and will come back to one of them on the next trip.

One of the TUG reviews said the Mayan is dated, maybe in some units, mine is definitely not. Some don't like the Mexican style and that may look dated to some.

Enjoy

goodjobwm

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've walked thru all three resorts and from the pool deck they all pretty much look the same. The Mayan pool is not heated, but it is pretty close to the Carbbean pool which is. All of the units in all three resorts are two bedrooms. I would definitely suggest a 2 bed for your crew. The one bedroom has two Murphy beds in the living room and cribs are available. None of the Royals are all inclusive. There is a small grocery market on site and the prices aren't bad. Walmart is a 30 min. bus ride. The bus system is very easy. It's 8.5 pesos, about $.75 vs. a $12 cab ride. We've waited more than 5 min. for a bus. You will have a full kitchen so if you want to save money on food, it is very easy. We've really enjoyed the Royals and will come back to one of them on the next trip.

One of the TUG reviews said the Mayan is dated, maybe in some units, mine is definitely not. Some don't like the Mexican style and that may look dated to some.

Enjoy

Thanks guys. It'll be our first trip to Mexico. So, I'll probably go with all-in-inclusive deal in Mexico. :)

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you do decide on one of the Royals, either choose one of the Tri-Royals (Caribbean, Mayan, Islander) OR the Sands OR the Royal Cancun. The Tris are interconnected and it makes little difference where you sleep - the layout is basically the same in all villas, and you can and should wander among them and use all the facilities. There are more restaurants and pool areas to choose among than at the others.

The Sands is newer and a bit more upscale, some prefer it, some don't. Research it on this forum.

The Royal Cancun is formerly VCI (Vacation Clubs Internaçional); very very quiet, shallow flat water - again, some prefer it, some don't, and read the reviews as well as look on this forum.

The teens will likely prefer the Sands or the Tris (ANY of the Tris - but "teen central" is the pool volleyball net at the Caribbean, it attracts teens and adults from all three resorts). The shallow beach at the Cancun would be great for the toddler, but I'm afraid the teens wouldn't like it as much. All the Royals have kiddie pools; the one at the Caribbean is best - biggest and has an Island.

Last edited:

CoteauPlatte

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question about which Royal to choose

I agree with PJRose - all the Royals are great but your choice depends on your family group. My family has owned units at VCI since 1979 so my children --youngest is now 30 -- loved VCI when they were little, loved the Tri-Royals when they were teenagers, and now they love VCI again since they have small children.

By the way, although the Tri-Royals have much more activity for teenagers and young adults, I never noticed that the social lives of my children or our cousins suffered by being at VCI. The fact that there were not as many young adults seemed to make it easier to form a small group. This also encouraged them to make friends with members from Merida and other areas of Mexico.