• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Point at Poipu, our home away from home.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
The Crown Princess sailing into port at 6:30 AM. We took a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Crown Princess.
2023-02-07%2006.36.28-X4.jpg

The Crown Princess sailing out of port at 5:00 PM. TIP: If you're playing a dinner at Duke's Kauai, check the cruise ship departure times for Nāwiliwili Harbor. It's fun watching them try to wiggle their way out.
2023-02-07%2017.04.11-X4.jpg

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
View from unit 8-405 where our son's family is staying.
2023-02-08%2011.21.43-X4.jpg

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gotta love a sunset. :cool: At the sunset groupie wall in front of the Nihi Kai Villas.
2023-02-08%2018.28.25-X4.jpg

2023-02-08%2018.30.37-X2.jpg

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was sad to leave Poipu yesterday, but on our first morning in Maui, we were greeted by a very bright double rainbow with Lanai and Molokai in the distance. Maui is good too.
2023-02-12%2008.50.31-X4.jpg

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
It was sad to leave Poipu yesterday, but on our first morning in Maui, we were greeted by a very bright double rainbow with Lanai and Molokai in the distance. Maui is good too.
2023-02-12%2008.50.31-X4.jpg

I'm sure you'll survive on Maui. :D
Hold on though, we still have this wind blowing strong. shaka

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm sure you'll survive on Maui. :D
Hold on though, we still have this wind blowing strong. shaka
Aloha from Maui. I don't remember any pictures I've taken of Molokai without clouds on the peaks.
2023-02-13%2009.33.20-X4.jpg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Aloha from Maui. I don't remember any pictures I've taken of Molokai without clouds on the peaks.
2023-02-13%2009.33.20-X4.jpg

Aloha from Molokai.

Yep, it's pretty rare not having clouds at our peaks. Nice day today. We had some morning rain but the sun is out now. It's cloudy by Maui because we can barely see Maui. :D

20230213_122647.jpg

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aloha from Molokai.

Yep, it's pretty rare not having clouds at our peaks. Nice day today. We had some morning rain but the sun is out now. It's cloudy by Maui because we can barely see Maui. :D

View attachment 73061
Plenty of sun at our pool. I was careful not to get too much though, I hope.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Plenty of sun at our pool. I was careful not to get too much though, I hope.

We have some people at the pool too. This is a busy time at WaveCrest. The snowbird owners are here for about another month. Then it will slow down. :D
Since we have some sun. I am going to walk down to the office and get the mail. Busy day today. :D:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I got lucky and grabbed an exchange for this resort today! We are going very off-season - do we have any hope of getting a view? What would you request?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I got lucky and grabbed an exchange for this resort today! We are going very off-season - do we have any hope of getting a view? What would would you request?
What are your priorities? Would you rather be close to the adult hot tub, the pool and bar/grill, or a unit a short walk from parking? With an exchange, you probably won't get a great view of the ocean. If you'll need the 2nd bedroom, definitely ask not to be put in an elbow room. The window faces the hallway, and the room doesn't have AC, just an overhead fan and a box fan. Normally, the AC units are only in the bedrooms.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Our priority is a quiet area with a nice view of something. We don't care about the adult hot tub, the pool, bar/grill, or parking.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our priority is a quiet area with a nice view of something. We don't care about the adult hot tub, the pool, bar/grill, or parking.
For a quiet area, buildings 5, 6, 9 or 10 are the best choices. You could also ask for the highest floor available in those buildings. The ones next to the pool and hot tub can get noisy. Except for the units facing the lobby entrance, all the views are nice. Over the years, we've stayed in many view categories, and never had a bad view. Here's a map of the property.

2013-01-22%2021-41-36_0001-X3.jpg

If you haven't seen this album before, there's plenty of pictures.

caligal

Reaction score
I will be staying there next year in a Garden view.
1. Rooms in buildings 3 and 10 face the parking lot and are they loud?
2. The elbow rooms you are talking about, they don't have AC at all? Should I request a non-elbow room, is that the term?

I might request "Quiet room, away from parking lot, high floor is possible". Thanks so much!

jrb916

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in building 3 facing the adult hot tub. It was not noisy & we really enjoyed our time there. The unit was clean, the ac’s in the bedrooms & breeze from deck kept the living/dining room cool. We followed advise from here to avoid the elbow rooms.

Try out the breakfast buffet @ the hyatt nearby when you are there. It was expensive but worth it!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The elbow rooms you are talking about, they don't have AC at all? Should I request a non-elbow room, is that the term?
The elbow rooms have AC in the living room and the master bedroom. The second bedroom does not have AC. That differs from non-elbow rooms, where the two bedrooms have AC and the living room doesn't.

Elbow rooms are actually better if you don't need the second bedroom, because then you will have living room AC, which you wouldn't in a regular room.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks for the information. We will be there on an exchange in May and have two rooms for a family reunion.

I am also confused about the term Elbow Room because there are a lot of rooms on corners based on the map. Some appear that they would be better some worse. How best to advise when we request?

Also how many days in advance of check in to request? Is there someone specifically we should speak with or just the front desk?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Rooms in buildings 3 and 10 face the parking lot and are they loud?
None of them face the parking lot. The only units that face the parking lot are in building 1 - see below.

1682266593555.png

In my opinion garden view units in building 10 are fine, especially those that are not on ground level. They give a nice view of the grounds and the koi ponds. And they are very close to parking. The only disadvantage with those is that if you like hearing the sound of the ocean, those are furthest from the water.

The one and only sound complaint that I've heard in over 20 years of visiting the resort was from a party that had a ground-level unit in Building 4, and during the night a flock of chickens was hanging out in the grounds near their unit, and apparently a rooster was crowing next to their unit. And some feral cats were hanging out, begging for handouts. Not likely that the roosters and chickens were visiting at the same time, though.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am also confused about the term Elbow Room because there are a lot of rooms on corners based on the map. Some appear that they would be better some worse. How best to advise when we request?
follow the link below.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the information. We will be there on an exchange in May and have two rooms for a family reunion.

Also how many days in advance of check in to request? Is there someone specifically we should speak with or just the front desk?
The elbow rooms have a corner that is not 90 degrees. It means that the window in the second bedroom faces the hallway. Buildings 1, 3, 4, 6, and 8 don't have any elbow rooms and the corner rooms in those buildings are larger and have better views.

We have been in rooms facing the adult hot tub where it can get rowdy after dark. It was never bad enough to call security. In 20+ years we've never heard any noise in the parking lot.

I agree with T_R_Oglodyte that the garden views from building 10 are nice. Here's a picture from 2022. Building 10 is the first one left of center (click to enlarge).

005%20The%20Point%20at%20Poipu-X3.jpg

Between building 10 and the pool is sacred ground. When we first stayed in building 10 the ironwood pines were 20' tall and that's all you could see. Fortunately, they've been keeping them trimmed much closer to the ground so the views are better.

The best time to make a room request is ASAP. If you get a welcome message from the resort several days before your trip, you can respond with a repeat of the request. Don't expect much. because we make our room requests a year in advance and don't always get what we want. They do try their best to provide something similar to what you ask for. I suspect that requests from exchangers get the lowest priority.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@artringwald Thanks for the detail. Sounds like I should contact them now. (to compare, for HGVC we only call a week in advance, and Vistana we place our request in the owner reservation 12 months prior).

Is it best to email them? If so, what is a good email address? FWIW We are HGVC Elite owners but do not own HVC/DRI. These are RCI trades using our HGVC points.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@artringwald Thanks for the detail. Sounds like I should contact them now. (to compare, for HGVC we only call a week in advance, and Vistana we place our request in the owner reservation 12 months prior).

Is it best to email them? If so, what is a good email address? FWIW We are HGVC Elite owners but do not own HVC/DRI. These are RCI trades using our HGVC points.
See my PM.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
These are RCI trades using our HGVC points.
My understanding about exchanges is that the resort notes that there is an incoming exchanger who will be there for seven days, and that gets put into the system, without making any specific assignment to room or view category. There is a specific set of rooms, spanning all view categories, that that are assigned for each check in day. Sum up each view category and that gives you a maximum number of checkins for that day of the week.

When an exchange is set up, for that check in day, one unit debited from the total number of units available for check in on that day. The reservation then continues as normal, except it stops accepting reservations for that check-in day when the total number of units remaining drops to zero. That will result in a set of unassigned units for that check-in day that is equal to the number of incoming exchangers on that day. The exchangers will then be assigned to those units. Note that the remaining inventory that gets assigned to exchangers could be in any view category. It all depends on how reservations are created by owners and Club members.

On a given check-in day, if owners and club members have taken all of the ocean front and garden view units (not uncommon), then the inventory that remains for exchangers will be either ocean view or partial ocean view. In the past, some exchangers have reported being assigned to ocean front, but I suspect that would be rare.