• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Mad Musician sings Hallelujah

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
He was ok, got better later on. Me, I prefer Leonard Cohen's original.
Thanks for sharing!

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've heard better voices singing this song--Kurt Nilsen and k.d. lang come to mind among others--but what I liked about this version was the emotional authenticity. I liked it better the second time. I was fascinated with the way he used his hands. He seemed to be channeling Michael Jackson and Prince at times.

A family member showed this video to me. He is a singer himself and liked the way this guy arranged and phrased the song.

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I liked it!
At first I was expecting the Hallelujah Chorus :p
It carried a whole different meaning with him, compared to Shrek et al.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do agree about the way his emotions came across in the song, and meant to mention that. At any rate, I enjoy most performances of Cohen's songs.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
He was ok, got better later on. Me, I prefer Leonard Cohen's original.
Thanks for sharing!
And Cohen wrote more verses than what is usually sung by others. If anyone is interested, look up Cohen's versions on youtube.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer Jeff Buckley's version over any others. It's especially poignant on how and when he died before he could realize the success of his recording. His voice careening between glory and sadness, beauty and pain adds another dimension considering his death.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I love both Leonard Cohen's version and K.D. Lang's version. Totally different and both are totally mesmerizing.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Not sure about the Mad Musician. I think the song should be sung, with humility. I thought it too over the top for what the song is trying to convey.

Bon Jovi's voice is just right for this song, but he has never released it as a recorded version, there is however a youtube version. It is my favorite, it I could get it onto my iPod I would love it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34nrWcUglVg

Let me know if anyone has heard this version before, since no one has mentioned it. He actually sings the whole song, as written by Leonard Cohen, and didn't skip the 3rd verse like most do.

But I do think that the Canadian Tenors do a good version,which I also really like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTx8IGPwrIk

k d lang does a good version, but I think it is a little too polished, I like the acoustic versions better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJlFAcSaoSY

Last edited:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just found this one from Il Divo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzB8xC_CwH8&feature=related

I didn't care for Bon Jovi. The music seemed louder than he was. It could have been the way it was recorded. He seemed to get the emotion but his speech was too slurred for my taste. OTOH, the Canadian Tenors had good diction but I didn't think they had the emotion that Bon Jovi put into it.

I also think it depends on my mood which version I like best at any given time. :D

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have no idea who this is. Way too much drama for me... :)

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have no idea who this is. Way too much drama for me... :)
I don't know who he is, either. As I mentioned previously, a family member who is an amateur singer shared it with me with his comments and I enjoyed the performance the second time I watched it, not as much the first time--it had to grow on me.

I tried looking up more of his music but was not impressed. I'm not much into music for some time now but I do like Hallelujah and seeing the various ways it is interpreted.

Edited to add that listening to it without watching it is not as satisfactory for me--this particular performance needs to be visual as well. Others I can simply listen to and still enjoy.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Thanks! I loved it but there aren't really any versions of this song that I don't like.

Who is this guy, though?! Like a few of you I've never heard of him but it seems like there's a story we're missing ...