• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Kindle

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't, though I'm fascinated with it. It's been out long enough that it may be time for an upgrade and/or price cut - perhaps just in time for the Holidays?

There are tons of reviews on Amazon.com

Besides the expense of the Kindle itself, you are (so far) locked into the expense of buying books - not a good proposition for those of us who usually get our books for free from the library.

jimbosee

TUG Member
Reaction score
"The Kindle"

Hi Glynda,jimbosee,from Melbourne Australia here.I have a kindle and my wife enjoyed it so much I have bought her one also,We cannot buy them outside of America,however we have a wonderful friend who lives in America,who took delivery and on-posted them to us,and allows the use of a credit card to buy books..I think that the Kindle is the most useful leisure invention of my time.Just think of the space and weight you will save ,if you read a lot,when you fly,and the Kindle is so small and easy to handle.Regards Jim Seedsman:hi:

jimbosee:hi:

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My friend's son lives in Kyoto, and I was urging her to get one for him. She wants to, but it's a big bunch of money for her (especially considering what she spends just to go to Japan and see him!).

If you read and speak English but live in a foreign country, it's not always easy to get English-language books. This is such a great way to get many of the books you would get in an American bookstore.

For me, in the United States, I don't feel like I need to buy a $360 gadget to read a book. I lose stuff way too easily! It's hard enough to keep track of my cell phone, my keys, my dog, my cup of coffee....

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought one for my daughter's 16th birthday. She loves it. It is very nice and you change the font so if like me who just started using reading glasses its great and now I'd love to have one too.

neash

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a great tool for readers. For people like me who read several books simultaneously, it is a boon. Aslo, the ability to get your magazine and newspaper subscriptions directly is awesome. I would love to own one, but the reasons I have not bought one yet are the following:
1. No ability to share the books you buy on amazon. No kindle to kindle sharing allowed.
2. No wifi connectivity
3. No color screen
4. No backlight -to allow reading in a low light situation.
5. No media player

I have spoken to an Amazon insider and they are working on my last 4 points.
The next version of kindle will have wifi (and most likely wimax) built in. This will be great for people who travel abroad, and are not near a computer when they want to buy books.
It will also have the ability to show the color pictures you see on print versions of magazines and newspapers. There will be a built-in media player.

I will buy one once I get all these features :)

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't watch Oprah, but for some reason, I caught the segment with Jeff Bezos about the Kindle. There's a limited time $50 off coupon on Oprah's web site for the pricey Kindle.

http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/oprahshow/20081024_tows_kindle

The amazon coupon code is OPRAHWINFREY and it's good through Nov 1, 2008.

-David

Last edited:

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
A good friend has one and she just loves it. I wasn't keen on the idea so she brought it over for me to try out and I ended up loving it too. Not enough to buy one for $350, but I was really impressed. Even though it's not backlit, I could read it in anywhere I can read a regular book, and actually better. Even though I have bifocal contacts, in low light it's sometimes difficult to read for long periods, but with the Kindle I just made the font a little bigger and had no problem. Most new release or bestsellers are less than $10, which is decent but still more than borrowing from the library. If the price drops to the $200 range I'll probably buy one.

The best thing, IMO, is being able to take enough reading material for a week's vacation in a device smaller than one paperback. I love to read on vacation and with the cost of checking baggage this is definitely a huge plus.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Kindle

I'm really wanting one for all the reasons everyone has mentioned (plus I just love electronic gadgets) but I am wondering when they will come up with an upgrade and am thinking I should wait. I'd hate to buy it and then wham, after the first of the year, a new one is announced (after Oprah helped clear out all the old inventory).

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would have bought one (or two) but they don't work in Canada which is a drag. The biggest positives were the reading in high light situations and the ability to adjust the font - find me a paperback that can adjust the font! I'm forced to buy hardcovers (I hate using glasses for reading) and taking them on vacation is such a pain - weight and bulk.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Too pricey for me! I get books from the library or paperbackswap.com so I really can't justify the expense.

It would bug me that you can't share or trade the books with others. Once I've paid for it, it should be mine. I'd like to be able to pass it on to my husband or daughter. I have the same problem with audible books. I buy from audible.com but these also can't be shared with others.

Deb

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE mine! I just bought a couple of books from the NY Times booklist. I am an avid reader and this thing is soooo easy! I read an average of a book a day or two days (depending on length of course). When we travel my carryon is full of books!!! Not now!!! When I am out of the country I simply attach it to my laptop via USB and download from there. When in country it takes about 3 minutes to download. Very easy to read!!! I just got a backup for more memory although I don't have anywhere near 200 books downloaded yet :cheer: Linda

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read an article in the Baltimore Sun about one month ago. A new kindle is on the way! Don't know when for sure - but I am interested and will wait for the newer , better, and probably cheaper version. That is the one sure thing about digital gadgets - they always get cheaper and better. Right now, it is out of my price range.

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if its cheaper but I'm sure it'll have more features. The reason for no backlight is so its similar to reading a book in regards to eye strain. If its backlit you will not be able to read at the beach or any bright area. I guess if you like to read in the dark though it would be a nice feature to have. What would be ideal and is probably the case is the light can be turned off and on.

My understanding is like an IPOD you have several kindles registered to one account and share books that way. You could also loan your kindle out if you want to share. :)

Last edited:

Malibu Sky

Reaction score
I have wanted on for soooo long but it just couldn't pull the trigger because of the cost. I almost bought one a few weeks back but looked at the reviews on Amazon and it seemded best for the upgrade. Now, i read all the gook things here and i want one again...no fiar.

Should I wait or not or maybe go for it with the $50 coupon? :annoyed: