• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Hidden History of a Rock 'n' Roll Hitmaker

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find this article fascinating! Now I am searching all over about Carol Kaye!

Who knew! Everyone else gets the credit, while she records the hits!

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I'm ordering the book. I've always tried to know as much as I could about session musicians, and I've never heard of her, or if I have it's been in the background.

edited to add, the book gets 5 stars on Amazon; 9 5-star shots and 1 4-star. That means that this is not only a great subject, but also a well written book. One reviewer writes, "When I started the book I expected a great history lesson and I certainly got that. What I didn't expect was a page turner...it was hard to put down and I finished this in a couple of days."

Some songs The Wrecking Crew played on:

"The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel
"Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys
"The Beat Goes On" by Sonny and Cher,
"Dream a Little Dream of Me" by the Mamas & the Papas,
"MacArthur Park" by Richard Harris and many, many more.

I say, go for it.

Last edited:

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I finished it last night. Great read, highly recommended.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to see that documentary?

Just wondering if this is just intriguing to just mosca and I? I would think more people would be interested in this subject matter? I am fascinated by this whole story!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Very interesting article. She has a website, too.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to see that documentary?

Just wondering if this is just intriguing to just mosca and I? I would think more people would be interested in this subject matter? I am fascinated by this whole story!

It's not just Carol Kaye, it's the entire group of musicians, between 20 and 30 of them, who actually made the AM radio sound of the '60s.

I had my eyes opened. She played 12 string guitar on the first two Mothers of Invention LPs!

From her website (she looks like she could be one of us, btw); all these are documented by union records. Carol played bass on:

Whipped Cream - Herb Alpert
Spanish Eyes - Al Martino
Good Vibrations, Help Me Rhonda, Sloop John B, I Get Around, Wouldn't It Be Nice (dano), Calif. Girls, God Only Knows, Pet Sounds lp, Heroes & Villains, Caroline No, Surf's Up, Child Is The Father Of The Man, Do You Like Worms?, Smile lp, Cabinessence, Fire sessions, I Was Made To Love Her, Let Him Run Wild - Beach Boys
Little Green Apples, Hickory Hollar - O.C. Smith
Goin' Out Of My Head/Can't Take my Eyes Off Of You medley, Hurt So Bad, Shangrila, When I Fall in Love, More, Theme from Summer Place, etc. - Lettermen
Something Stupid - Frank & Nancy Sinatra
Boots, Sugar Town, You Only Live Twice theme, etc. - Nancy Sinatra
Feelin' Alright - Joe Cocker
The Way We Were - Barbra Streisand
Tell Her You Love Her, The World We Knew (OD dano fuzz on "World"), etc. - Frank Sinatra
Hold Me Thrill Me etc. - Mel Carter
Godfather Theme, Love Story, Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You, etc. - Andy Williams
In The Heat Of The Night, I Don't Need No Doctor, America The Beautiful, Eleanor Rigby, I Chose To Sing The Blues, Here We Go Again, Don't Change
On Me, Feel So Bad, Understanding etc. - Ray Charles
Romeo & Juliet Theme (A Time For Love), Willow Weep For Me, Godfather Theme, others & Doc Severinson lp etc. - Henry Mancini
Mercy Mercy Mercy etc. - Buckinghams
Indian Reservation etc. - Paul Revere & Raiders
Natural Man, Love Is A Hurtin' Thing, Unforgettable, Your Good Thing etc. - Lou Rawls
John Gummoe's Rhythm Of The Rain - Cascades
Song Of Innocence - David Axelrod I Was Made To Love Her - Stevie Wonder
What'd I Say, A Little Less Conversation, Suspicious Minds etc. - Elvis Presley (this cut is claimed by 4 others too)
Bless The Beasts And The Children - Perry Botkin
Little GTO, Go Little Honda - Hondels
Candy Man, Have A Little Talk, Mr. Bojangles, Legend In My Time, I'm Not Anyone - Sammy Davis Jr.
Shaft Theme - movie OD MGM w/J.J.Johnson (credited on sheet music)
You Gave Me A Mountain, To Each His Own etc. - Frankie Laine
Games People Play, Happy Together, Comin' Home etc. - Mel Torme
Wichita Lineman, Galveston, etc. - Glen Campbell
Someday We'll Be together Again, Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross (w/Temps, cut 1968 RCA, Paul Humphrey on drums released 1970, you hear my improvising on this after my music fell down on take)
If I Could Build My Whole World Around You, Ain't Nothin' But The Real Thing - Marvin Gaye & Tami Terrell (Steiner's studio - LA)
Don't Pull Your Love Out On Me baby - Hamilton, Joe Franks & Reynolds (ABC Paramount OD)
It Must Be Him etc. - Vickie Carr
12th Of Never, Alone Again, Memories, etc. - Johnny Mathis
Tiny Bubbles etc. - Don Ho
When I Die - Motherlode (Toronto)
Batman Theme & others - Marketts
I'm A Believer, Last Train To Clarksville & others - Monkees
Homeward Bound, I Am A Rock, Scarborough Fair - Simon & Garfunkle
Call Me etc. - Chris Montez
Straight Life, Honey etc. - Bobby Goldsboro
River Deep, Mountain High - Tina Turner
No Matter What Shape Your Stomach's In - T-Bones
This Diamond Ring, Just My Style, etc. - Gary Lewis and Playboys
Soul & Inspiration - Righteous Bros.
Elusive Butterfly - Bob Lind
Hikky Burr - Bill Cosby TV Theme/Quincy Jones (TV and single) "Livin' It Up" lp - Jimmy Smith
Chump Change - Quincy Jones
Red Roses For A Blue Lady etc. - Vic Dana
Up A Lazy River (rock part) etc. - Bobby Darin
It's A Small World - Mike Curb & Congregation (at Disneyworld too)
Light My Fire - Doors (listed in book)
In Crowd, Going To The Gogo, etc. (dano, el. bass) - Dobie Gray
Bonnie Jean - Ed Ames
Love Child, Baby Love, Stop In The Name Of Love, Back In My Arms Again, You Can't Hurry Love, My World Is Empty Without You, Reflections, Love Is Here And Now You're Gone, You're All I Need To Get By etc. - Supremes
GIT On Broadway TV Show - Diana Ross/Temptations cut 1969 NBC, Al Lapin contractor
Come Together - Count Basie
I Can't Help Myself, Bernadette etc. - 4 Tops
Peace Of Mind, Out Of This World - Nancy Wilson
Willow Weep For Me - Chad & Jeremy
This Is My Song - Pet Clarke
Joe Williams Live lp
Big Man lp - Cannonball Adderly
A Time For Love - Tony Bennett
Northern Windows lp - Hampton Hawes Trio
Get Ready, I Second That Emotion - Temptations
Doo Ron Ron - Crystals
Count Me In etc. - Bobby Vee
Yellow Balloon - Gary Zekeley
Baby The Rain Must Fall - Glenn Yarborough
Midnight Confessions, etc. - Grass Roots
Home Of The Brave - Jody Miller
David Axlerod produced lps
You Made Me So Very Happy - Brenda Holloway
Sixteen Tons (60s recut heard now on radio, others) - Tenn. Ernie Ford
Alone Again Or, Dailey Planet - Love
Bang Bang, Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves - Cher
Winter Wonderland - Darlene Love
Expected to Fly - Buffalo Springfield
The Summer Wind - Wayne Newton
Universal Jones Vol. I - Gene McDaniels
Do I Love You? - Ronnie Spector & The Ronettes
Fastman Raiderman - Frank Black NEW
Frummenn - The Original Studmenn (VIP Iceland group) NEW
Rhythm Of The Rain - John Gummoe and Cascades
I've Got Everything I Need - Gerald & Nancy Ray
Endless Summer CD, Beach Boys
Spotlight On Bobby Darin, Bobby Darin
16 Most Requested Songs, Robert Goulet
Greatest Hits Vols. 1 & 2, Billy Joel
The Very Best of Frank Sinatra
The Hit Years, Frank & Nancy Sinatra
Ballads Blues & Big Bands, Nancy Wilson
All Time Greatest Hits, Barry White
How Can You Mend a Broken Heart - Roger Williams
Do I Love You - Frank Wilson Motown Soul
1960s Love Unlimited Orchestra - Barry White,
Urizen - Dave Axelrdod
Kaye's sampled bass lines on:
Puffin on a Cloud - Beatnuts
A Day at The Races - Jurassic 5
Man And Boy - Bill Withers/Quincy Jones
Midnight Cowboy - Percy Faith
"The Good Life" - Bobby Darin
"Our Town" - Frank Sinatra

Many other hit recordings with: April & Nino, Spiral Staircase, Beach Boys, Lou Rawls, Association, Del Shannon, Bobby Vee, Gary Puckett & Union Gap, Monkees, First Edition, We 3, Dino-Desi-Billy, Dick & DeeDee, Association, Soulstrings, Hollywood Strings, PF Sloan, Van Dyke Parkes, Brenda Holloway, Parris Sisters, Judd & Lisa, Blossoms, New Seekers, Wayne Newton, Vic Dana, Timi Yuro, Deep 6, Harper's Bazaar, Gary Usher, Liverpool 5, Animals, Invinceables, Buckinghams, Young Americans, John Davidson, Mel Taylor, Quincy Jones, Rod McKuen, Harry Nilsson, Grass Roots, T-Bones, Bobby Paris, Doodletown Pipers, John Gary, Vogues, Hedge & Donna, Bobby Sherman, Isley Bros., Frankie Avalon, GoGos, Clydie King, Bobby Rydell, Peter & Gordon, Goodtime Singers, Billy Storm, Kenny Rogers, Buce & Terry, Bobby Sheen, Barbara McCair, Terry Melchior, Young Folk, Jericho Brown, Kim Weston, Al Kooper, Phil Spector prod's, Trombones Unlimited, Osmond Bros., Buckinghams, Michelle Lee, Monk Higgins, Robert Goulet, Judy Carne, Hugo Montenegro, Dody Stevens, Darlene Love, Ripchords, Jody Daniels, Lola Falana, Ralke Strings, Gilbert Becaud, 4 Preps, Fred Astair, Dorsey Burnett, Don Ellis, Ray Conniff, Nelson Riddle, Ian Whitcomb, Billy Strange, Oopie McKurn, Back Porch Majority, Ernie Andrews, Little Richard, Tony Martin, Billy May, Odetta, King Family, Stan Freberg, Tom & John Bahler, Jimmie Griffin, Annette Funicello, Gloria Lynne, Wilder Bros., John Cole, Willie John, Irma Thomas, Donna Loren, Randy Sparks, Tutti's Trombones, Frank Zappa, Beau Brummels, Jerry Vale, Claudine Longet, Sue Raney, Ella Fitzgerald, Bing Crosby, Vic Damone, Billy Eckstein, Buffalo Springfield, Eartha Kitt, Ann Margaret, Doris Day, Patti Page, Howard Roberts, Bill Medley, Dee Irvin, Johnny Otis, Coasters, Elmer Bernstein, Stevie Wonder, Bobby Adano, Honey Bees, Bonnie Guitar, Don Crawford, Stu Phillips, Joey Paige, Johnny Guitar Watson, Sims Twins, Baker Knight, Tyrone & Jerome, Fran Jeffries, Noel Harris, Meredith McCrea, Joey Paige, Barry Young, Piccolo Pupa, Jackie & Gayle, Johnny Ray, Liza Minelli, Peter & Gordon, Billy Preston, Joannie Sommers, Curtis Mayfield, Dean Martin, Rosemary Clooney, Eddie Arnold, Roger Miller, Dusty Springfield, Roger Williams, Shirley Bassey, Adam West, Neil Diamond, Kingston Trio, Lorne Greene, Kay Starr, Alan Copeland, Margaret Whiting, Jo Stafford, Richard Roundtree, Gene McDaniels, Don Ellis, Eddy Fisher, David Rose, Willie Bobo, George Burns, Four Freshmen, Electric Prunes, Bettye Swan, Robie Porter, Elvis Presley, Kelly Gordon, Bob Crosby, Paul Anka, Laurindo Almeida, Gogi Grant, Jerry Butler, Hollies, Mahalia Jackson, Reader's Digest, Charlie Wrights 110th St. Band, Mills Bros., Bud Shank, Gabor Szabor, Sally Fields, Pet Clarke, Duayne Eddy, Rudy Vallee, Brook Benton, Les Baxter, John Wayne, Mae West, Burt Bacharach, Carol Burnett, Dick Smothers, Johnny Burnett, Nellie Lutcher, Bobby Sands, Kip Tyler, Kim Fowley, Wynonna Carr, Toni Harper, Guy Mitchell, Modernaires, Soupy Sales, Louie Jordan, Ray Anthony, Jan & Dean, Damita Jo, Bishops, Chuck & Joe, Ray Conniff, Tommy Oliver, Sandy Nelson, Keely Smith, 5th Dimension, Peter-Paul-Mary, Marty Robbins, Peggy Lee, Johnny Ray, Margaret Whiting, Tommy Leonetti, Howard Roberts, Berl Davis, Patti Duke, Freddie Cannon, Fred Smith, Frank Ortega, Johnny Magnus, Al Martino, Mike Lloyd prods', Don Costa, J.J. Hohnson, Dee Irwin, Johnny Mann Singers, Billy Daniels, Lalo Shifrin, Tony Bruno, Arthur Prysock, Jimmie Rodgers, John Klemmer, Santo & Johnny, Jerry Vail, Ferrante & Teicher, Eddie Hodges, Hub Cap & Wheels, Honey Bees, Rosie Grier, Dymiktri Tiomkin, Fess Parker, Les Poupees De Paris, Tom Vaughn, Barry Young, C. C. Jones, Charles Cunard, Carroll Connors, Georgia Carr, Buckshots, Gary Bowman, Billy Mize, Bishops, Ken Clarke, Blood Bros., Marty Robbins, Dean Holly, Tigers, John Wayne, The Girlfriends, Jack Nitzchie, Jean King, Eddie Beal, Dallas Smith, Barbara McNair, Troy Donahue, Cookie Jackson, Peter Ford, Little Joe, Pete King, Eddie Hodges, Dynatones, Vince Edwards, Tammy Grimes, Little Joe, Sun Rays, Platters, Don Robertson, Keith Allison, Bonnie & Treasures, Percy Faith, Jimmie Lewis, Frankie Randall, Joe Reisman, Michel LeGrand, Tiny Tim, Andy Russell, Group Therapy, Morgana King, Kitty Lester, Marvelettees, Miracles, H.B. Barnum prod's, Esquival, Marketts, Hollywood Strings, Rouvan, Jody Miller, Leslie Gore, George Chikaris, Trombones Unlimited, Pat Boone, Hollyridge Singers, Jewel Akens, Bobby Sherman, Shacklefords, Barry Young, Gene Daniels, Gene Ammons, Della Reese, Stan Kenton, Don Ellis, Joe Pass, Janis Ian, Johnny Rivers, Cass Elliot, Hampton Hawes, Jimmy Smith, Tom Scott, Cannonball Adderly, Howlin' Wolf etc. and more.

Carol played guitar on:

Unchained Melody, You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling - The Righteous Brothers
La Bamba - Ritchie Valens
The Beat Goes On (Dano bass guitar), He's A Rebel, I Got You Babe, Baby Don't Go, All I Want To Do (backbeat elec. guitar)- Sonny and Cher
Surfin' USA - The Beach Boys (Elec. Rhythm Guitar, Billy Strange on Solo Lead Guitar - Union contract)
What A Wonderful World, Summertime - Sam Cooke
Almost In My Arms - Houseboat movie
What The World Needs Now - Jackie DeShannon
Bang Bang, Alfie, Needles and Pins - Cher
Danke Shoen - Wayne Newton
In the Misty Moonlight - Dean Martin
Comin' In the Back Door - Baja Marimba Band
Mexican Shuffle - Herb Alpert
Do You Love Me - The Isley Brothers
Little Old Lady From Pasadena, Dead Man's Curve, Surf City - Jan and Dean
Long White Room - Nancy Wilson
In Crowd (Dano bass guitar) - Dobie Gray
Smooth Operator - Sara Vaughn
Johnny Angel - Shelly Fabares
My Cup Runneth Over, Try To Remember, Sunrise Sunset - Ed Ames
Deep Purple - April and Nino
Birds and the Bees - Jewel Akens
Husbands and Wives - Roger Miller
Let's Dance - Chris Montez
Zippity Doo Da - Bob B. Soxx and the Blue Jeans
Highland Fling - Marti Barris
1st 2 Frank Zappa LP's (12-string)
Needles and Pins - Jackie DuShannon
Most of the Phil Spector-produced hits with The Righteous Brothers
Ronny and the Ronetttes
The Crystals - And Then He Kissed Me ((Elec. 12-string guitar)
The Paris Sisters
The Blossoms
Many of the early O'Jays hits
Many other early hits with David McCullum (mostly el. 12-string guitar), Harry Nilsson, Chipmonks, Duayne Eddy, Dick Dale, Pat Boone, Rosemary Clooney, Ed Ames, Paul Anka, Sonny & Cher (mostly el. 12-string guitar fills), 25 Guitars lps, Ray Charles, Willie Bobo, Bessie Griffin, Ike and Tina Turner, Ritchie Valens, Sam Cooke, Kris Kristofferson, Ann-Margaret, H. B. Barnum, Sarah Vaughn, Jan & Dean, Isley Bros., Fred Smith, lots of funky soul stuff, as well as the pop, and jazz with Chet Baker, Jack Milman band, Golden Boy lp (w/H.B.Barnum), Cannonball
Adderly mid-60s, Mongo Santamaria, Howard Roberts, Rene Bloch, and some others...

Last edited: