• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The End of Day Light Saving Time

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is now 5:00AM and it is dark outside. My body thanks and feel it is 6:00AM .
LOL :ponder:

Plus, my Sunday’s newspaper is not in my newspaper box.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I hate the darkness when it turns 5pm. Ugh....

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
And I hate having it light at 5 am. Ugh...

Kurt

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I wish DST would end. Permanently.

There is really no compelling reason to have it anymore. One of my main gripes about DST is it makes early morning travel more dangerous during the school year since more of the school year morning commute is in darkness.

Just for the fun of it, can anyone point to a positive reason to continue DST?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this one of TUG's contentious issues? It can't be solved here, so. . .

Enjoy the extra hour of sleep you got last night. :)

Jim

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was 101 years ago (in 1918) when Daylight Savings Time was first adapted in the United States for those not familiar with the history of DST.

What's happened with it over the last 101 years proves to be a very interesting read. If anyone wants to read the details of it then you can Google: "History of Daylight Savings Time"

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
No DST is one of my favorite things about AZ. :) Our body clock only has to adjust when we travel. :)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Is this one of TUG's contentious issues? It can't be solved here, so. . .

Enjoy the extra hour of sleep you got last night. :)

Jim

I don't know, Jim. We've solve many problems around here on a daily basis..... :D

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
No DST is one of my favorite things about AZ. :) Our body clock only has to adjust when we travel. :)
I am also fortunate. No DST in Saskatchewan all summer (heck, it is still light at 11:00pm even without it) and no DST when we move south to AZ for the winter!

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know the concern is schoolchildren on dark mornings. I would just as soon it end too.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know, Jim. We've solve many problems around here on a daily basis..... :D

Reminds me of a 9 yr old daughter of a friend. When a teacher asked if she could have anything she wanted her reply......

I wish everyone would listen to me. This world would be a better place.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Ben Franklin first introduced the basic idea way back in 1784, but he did so with tongue planted firmly in cheek."

"Money would be saved, Franklin argued, if people rose with the sun and turned in earlier at night, replacing hours of expensive candle use with free morning daylight."

Was Franklin serious?

“It's easy to say Franklin was just joking, and of course he was spoofing the French for being lazy,” says Tufts University professor Michael Downing, author of Spring Forward: The Annual Madness of Daylight Saving Time."

“But he was a big thrift guy. He constantly wrote about conservation issues, things like the amount of tallow used for candles. He couldn't stop noticing things that could be done more efficiently if they were done his way. So I think in the end it wasn't entirely a joke.”

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...ht-saving-savings-time-nation-science-sunday/

Okay Mr. Franklin, we get the idea. I think it's time to move on. :rolleyes:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Washington State voted to end DST here, but I guess Congress has to approve it? Seems odd, since it’s State business. So we turned clocks back again this morning.

Dave

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I am a morning person, so the earlier the sun comes up, the better as far as I am concerned. We were just in France for two weeks. My absolute least favorite thing was the sunrise at almost 8:30. I just couldn't wake up without an alarm, and I hate, hate, hate waking up to an alarm. I think that it's the absolute worst way to start your day, followed by walking in dark streets to get to the metro ;). You almost needed a flashlight. Other than the dog park, the only thing that I do after work is prepare dinner, do dishes, and get ready for the next day so it doesn't bother me a bit if it's dark or light because I'm inside working.

I'll never be a person wants to have extra night time in the morning.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

I guess it depends at what latitude you live. The farther you are from the equator, the more variance in daylight hours there are between spring/summer and autumn/winter.

I, for one, like what is currently done (spring ahead, fall back) because it makes best use of the limited daylight hours in the autumn and winter and longer daylight hours in the spring and summer? I know this is also a somewhat controversial issue here in British Columbia as there is serious talk about permanently moving to daylight time. That means we would set our clocks ahead one hour next March and then leave them there.

As for those who wish DST would end, I keep asking but no one can give me a straight answer to this question. Is your problem with DST:

1) The hassle to change your clocks?
2) The confusions that it creates (eg., you agreed to meet someone at 9:00 but that person showed up at 10:00 because he forgot to set his clocks ahead)?
3) The sun rises/sets one hour too early or too late for your liking?
4) It screws up your body clock and sleep patter? or
5) Apparently there are some statistics from insurance companies that say car accidents tend to spike the day after we set our clocks ahead/back?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends at what latitude you live. The farther you are from the equator, the more variance in daylight hours there are between spring/summer and autumn/winter.

I, for one, like what is currently done (spring ahead, fall back) because it makes best use of the limited daylight hours in the autumn and winter and longer daylight hours in the spring and summer? I know this is also a somewhat controversial issue here in British Columbia as there is serious talk about permanently moving to daylight time. That means we would set our clocks ahead one hour next March and then leave them there.

As for those who wish DST would end, I keep asking but no one can give me a straight answer to this question. Is your problem with DST:

1) The hassle to change your clocks?
2) The confusions that it creates (eg., you agreed to meet someone at 9:00 but that person showed up at 10:00 because he forgot to set his clocks ahead)?
3) The sun rises/sets one hour too early or too late for your liking?
4) It screws up your body clock and sleep patter? or
5) Apparently there are some statistics from insurance companies that say car accidents tend to spike the day after we set our clocks ahead/back?
Agree whole heartedly with this well considered post. Perhaps a better configuration would be to have a line of demarcation of states along the southern tier that would settle on either DST or Standard time, because of the lesser seasonal variation in daylight hours, and frankly, in summer, they don't need more daylight. In more northern regions, there is benefit to not having the sun rise at 3:00 a.m. In Summer.

Jim

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

That would be fine with because then school start times could be set without having to account for the darkness in the morning. To answer your other questions, none of them really bother me (clock adjustment, confusion, sleep pattern, etc) but when your morning commute has to be done in darkness, that simply is not as safe as it could be. Commutes to/from school should always be in daylight hours and while most of this problem is the unwise decision by many schools to adhere to a far too early start time, DST magnifies this issue during 2-3 months each year around here.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is one of the dumbest things we do in the U.S. It's right up there with having weekends. Please don't whip me with a wet noodle for that last part, but I'll bet they don't exist in a couple hundred years.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

There is really no compelling reason to have it anymore. One of my main gripes about DST is it makes early morning travel more dangerous during the school year since more of the school year morning commute is in darkness.

And I would prefer Daylight Savings all of the time.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing here. I did like when the shows/sports cane on an hour earlier. But now with Netflix not as big an issue. We may get about 30 minutes difference in sunset all year. A blessing and a curse as once the sun goes down it’s cooler but the sidewalks roll up outside of a few places. I prefer it getting dark at 10pm but being bearable. Cannot have it all.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Changing clocks for Daylight Savings is just dumb and I wish this twice a year of clock change will be eliminated. It is not as though you get longer daylight just by changing time on the clock.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
First time without the change here on Hawaii. Now I have to remember it's only a four hour difference when I want to communicate with friends and family in Wisconsin.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I wish the earth wasn’t tilted and not round so none of this was so complicated.

Is that too much to ask?

Well, when you thnk about it, it's probably a good thing that the earth isn't flat. If it was, cats everywhere would have pushed everything off the edge. LOL! :)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Changing clocks for Daylight Savings is just dumb and I wish this twice a year of clock change will be eliminated. It is not as though you get longer daylight just by changing time on the clock.
You'd have to love living in China. ONE time zone for the whole country. If you travel from China to the West into say, Afghanistan, there's a 7 1/2 hour clock adjustment to be made. :)

Jim