• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The District by Hilton

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

This week is Jack’s excursion week at his high school, so he is off on an adventure to Santa Barbara (happy for him!). Jonell and I took advantage of his trip by sneaking out to Washington DC for a few days. We debated between staying at the Marriott property (the Mayflower) or HGVC’s The District, and opted for the HGVC.

It is an interesting property — very well located and the 1BR that we are staying in is a classic 1BR suite with a kitchenette. This property is part of an Embassy Suites hotel, and they have reserved the top two floors to be the HGVC timeshare conversion. It is very well located, at 22nd and N, and was about a 25 minute walk to the Mall (and another 25 minute walk to the Spy Museum, which is very cool).

The stay includes two happy hour drinks per person (5:30-7pm) and also a breakfast per person. What intrigues me the most is the physical infrastructure — this is an Embassy Suites Hotel where they’ve taken 25% of the available rooms and converted them to timeshare. If any of you have ever stayed at an Embassy Suites Hotel (large square with an atrium in the middle) then you know exactly what to expect from this property. It’s a good room — and they clearly renovated the top two floors (all floors?) at the expense of HGVC and I’m glad they did. But it definitely feels like a hotel.

I am curious if we will see more Embassy Suites conversions because it’s easy to carve out the top two floors and make them timeshares, and then renovate the entire property. Great locations and immediate cost sharing of the overhead from the timeshare owners.

We will see — I love the location and we will come again to this property when we visit DC again. I welcome the views of others who have stayed it, there is much to like about this property.

Best,

Greg

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
All,

This week is Jack’s excursion week at his high school, so he is off on an adventure to Santa Barbara (happy for him!). Jonell and I took advantage of his trip by sneaking out to Washington DC for a few days. We debated between staying at the Marriott property (the Mayflower) or HGVC’s The District, and opted for the HGVC.

It is an interesting property — very well located and the 1BR that we are staying in is a classic 1BR suite with a kitchenette. This property is part of an Embassy Suites hotel, and they have reserved the top two floors to be the HGVC timeshare conversion. It is very well located, at 22nd and N, and was about a 25 minute walk to the Mall (and another 25 minute walk to the Spy Museum, which is very cool).

The stay includes two happy hour drinks per person (5:30-7pm) and also a breakfast per person. What intrigues me the most is the physical infrastructure — this is an Embassy Suites Hotel where they’ve taken 25% of the available rooms and converted them to timeshare. If any of you have ever stayed at an Embassy Suites Hotel (large square with an atrium in the middle) then you know exactly what to expect from this property. It’s a good room — and they clearly renovated the top two floors (all floors?) at the expense of HGVC and I’m glad they did. But it definitely feels like a hotel.

I am curious if we will see more Embassy Suites conversions because it’s easy to carve out the top two floors and make them timeshares, and then renovate the entire property. Great locations and immediate cost sharing of the overhead from the timeshare owners.

We will see — I love the location and we will come again to this property when we visit DC again. I welcome the views of others who have stayed it, there is much to like about this property.

Best,

Greg

Sounds like a great resort. While not an Embassy, the Chicago property was done in a similar fashion, they took the top several floors and made them into suites. It’s like they took two rooms and converted them into 1 bedroom suites. Small kitchenette (stoked with 2 coffee mugs, 2 stemless wine glasses and a wine corkscrew) and a nice stand up shower round out the room.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I wish they would do that to the Embassy Suites in Old Town Alexandia (VA) that is right next to the King Street Metro station and very close to the Old Town Alexandia Club Wyndham. (I live about two miles from there.) I suspect I will be waiting a good, long while.

I am not a pro on knowing what is a moneymaker for HGVC, but I am not sure the District has been a big commercial success. It almost always has ample inventory to book online using regular HGVC points if one is willing to wait until the later window. It also seems resale demand is fairly lackluster by bHC standards. Would love to know if it has been a big success as measured by developer sales .... but I am suspect.

All,

Best,

Greg

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
The stay includes two happy hour drinks per person (5:30-7pm) and also a breakfast per person. What intrigues me the most is the physical infrastructure — this is an Embassy Suites Hotel where they’ve taken 25% of the available rooms and converted them to timeshare. If any of you have ever stayed at an Embassy Suites Hotel (large square with an atrium in the middle) then you know exactly what to expect from this property.

Thanks for the review. One note is that not all Embassy suites fit this physical model (we've stayed at a few :)). La Jolla definitely does. We were just at Embassy Suites Napa and it was quite different. There was an outdoor enclosed area, and an indoor atrium as well, but it has a double enclosure, basically. When we have stayed at La Jolla and New Orleans, there were no drink limits. Napa did have tickets. Breakfast, of course, is as many as one wants, although one suffices :)

Cheers.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
All,

Best,

Greg

Greg, thanks for your insights. Sounds like a fun trip.

I don't recall if you have stayed at the Mayflower, but if you have, which resort between the two do you prefer and why? Thanks.

Best regards.

Mike

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Greg, thanks for your insights. Sounds like a fun trip.

I don't recall if you have stayed at the Mayflower, but if you have, which resort between the two do you prefer and why? Thanks.

Best regards.

Mike
Hey Mike,

I've not stayed at the Mayflower so can't speak to the comparison. I will say that sight unseen, I want to prefer to the HGVC property because the Monday-Thursday discount is so good. I used 2,880 HGVC points or approx $500 in MFs for this visit, and Open Season would be consistent. The Marriott has suites that would be 1,800 for Mon-Fri, which is closer to $720 in MFs. And I do like the 1BR Suite here.

Restaurants are 3-4 blocks away but I do like this property...

Best,

Greg

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I have stayed a couple times at both Mayflower and The District. Disclosure I am an owner at The District. Guess could also say I am an owner at Mayflower because of DC points because Mayflower was never sold as weeks.

I like both properties asboth has it pros and cons. Some things off the top of my head.

Mayflower is close to everything in DC. Steps from the metro and 2 or 3 blocks from White House. Great for sightseeing and everything. While the District is in Georgetown and close to eateries and shops. Have been in a suite and regular rooms at Mayflower The District has bigger rooms as they are all 1br units. Mayflower does not have laundry facilities in hotel while the District does. Their is the concierge lounge at Mayflower (platinum and above) while District has breakfast and evening reception for all guests. There is an owners lounge at District that has snacks and drinks available all day but you have to be an owner there. Parking is expensive at both properties.

I like Mayflower if staying and sightseeing during the weekdays. Weekends I would prefer to be at District since the restaurants are plentiful and open. Downtown DC is a ghost town weekends. If no vehicle the closest metro stop to District is about 20 minutes away. There is a Krispy Kreme and The Halal guys on the walk from the metro station to District . Sorry no Krispy Kreme hear where I live.

If anyone has other questions I would be glad to answer them.

@GregT, wife and I took Amtrack to Philly for a few days this past January. It was great and fun experience as we have never ridden Amtrack. If you liked DC, you will like Philly. We walked around city and had a blast. Walked from our hotel to Genos/Pat's then down to the river. Saw the sister (USS New Jersey) to USS Missouri right across the Philadelphia river. Had a good time walking along the waterfront. We walked a lot of downtown and there sure is a lot of history. Wife and I will be sure to go back to Philly next time we are in DC. Was a quick 3 hour train ride and I believe about the same time as driving. Will be in your neck of the woods third week of Oct.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I’ve stayed at the District twice and booked via Hilton with cash rather than HGV points. It is in a great location for sure.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am here right now. It is actually the top three floors, 7,8 and 9 that are timeshare units. Also, if you are an owner, there is a owners lounge that has snacks and drinks including both Keurig and Nespresso coffee machines. The only real issue with this location is the atrocious charge for parking. It is $54 a night right now. There are some other parking garages nearby that charge about half that, but you have to move your car every day. I would love to see more of these downtown HGVC properties in other major cities, say Boston, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Atlanta for example.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
As an aside, there’s an eBay listing for one right now that is a bit off - it’s for a 1 BR Gold week at 3,750 points vice 5,100. I asked the seller about it and believe it’s really a W 57th Street studio plus gold. I let him know that, but the listing is still up there, so beware. Someone did bid the dollar opening price already.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
The seller would be ahead in every way to list that as what is really being sold if your suspicion is correct.

As an aside, there’s an eBay listing for one right now that is a bit off - it’s for a 1 BR Gold week at 3,750 points vice 5,100. I asked the seller about it and believe it’s really a W 57th Street studio plus gold. I let him know that, but the listing is still up there, so beware. Someone did bid the dollar opening price already.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
The seller would be ahead in every way to list that as what is really being sold if your suspicion is correct.

My suspicion was based on a picture of the HGVC site with the owner logged in listing the contract number with “Street by Hilton” visible in the upper left corner and “New York” right below that. Not really in the market for one of those as I live closer to DC and already have a 1 BR Gold at The District. Here’s the link if anyone is interested:

I have bought from this guy before - a Wyndham Bali Hai contract for a decent price. He delivered on that one, but it took quite a long time and the closing company he used forgot to send in the check for the transfer fee. Fortunately, I lucked out and called the Wyndham title company to check on it on the day they were trashing the transfer application and was able to pay over the phone and get it done; he wound up refunding my transfer fee payment fairly quickly.

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning a Christmas stay at District DC.

What is the difference between regular and plus 1 bedroom unit beside the 100 SF room space?

Any recommendations for Christmas week sight seeing activities? I know the it will be cold for the season.

Thanks,

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
- See Capitol and White House Christmas trees and decorations
- Usually some pretty cool stuff and ice sculptures at National Harbor .... not sure how COVID-19 may impact that.

We are planning a Christmas stay at District DC.

What is the difference between regular and plus 1 bedroom unit beside the 100 SF room space?

Any recommendations for Christmas week sight seeing activities? I know the it will be cold for the season.

Thanks,

Bearster

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club; Marriott Grande Vista; Woodstone at Massanutten, Golden Strand (Kill Devil Hills, NC)
I would be certain to visit the WWII Memorial at night and then take the short walk north to the Willard Hotel for drinks -- or dinner if you have funds to burn. Then the string of hotels wrapping, counterclockwise, 90 degrees around the East and North side of the White House -- including the Willard, W, Hay Adams, St. Regis, and Mayflower -- make for restive rest stops as you take in 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

tomt73

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lake Placid Club Lodges, Las Brisas de Santa Fe.
My wife and I stayed at The District this past May. I have posted a full review on TUG. You just have to search "Hilton Club" and not "The District" to find it. When you do, you'll see a drop-down box that is labeled "The District by Hilton Club". We enjoyed our stay, and saved money by using Uber a lot vs. renting a car and paying the hotel $55/night (!) for parking.

Even though most indoor federal museums were closed, we visited the WWII Memorial (very moving), explored the Lincoln Memorial more thoroughly than ever before, and walked around Lafayette Park the very day it was re-opened to the public.

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Tomt73 for the detailed review.

Escanoe, Buzglyd, Bearster: your suggestions are very helpful for planning the trip.

We decided to stay 3 nights at District by Hilton, followed by 2 nights at Capital Hilton for Christmas Eve & Christmas Day.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just finished up a 3-night stay at The District that I had booked through my RCI points account. We live in Maryland, so it's a convenient location to go to via Metro for the weekend or overnight when going to the Kennedy Center, so I wound up buying a resale week there, but had already booked the RCI stay. When we checked in (our first trip), they welcomed us as owners and gave us access to the Owners Lounge even though it was an RCI stay. Looking at the reviews, there isn't much to add, so I don't plan on writing another. A few miscellaneous observations:

- Owners Lounge isn't equipped for breakfast during the COVID restrictions.
- Evening happy hour for the Owners Lounge was pretty sparsely attended each night; I believe I only saw one other group in there. They had canned wine (Bridge Lane - not bad from the website "The wines aren't meant to be studied and drunk in fancy glasses. They're meant for casual sipping and sharing with friends. BYE, wine snobs."), Bud Light, and Port City beer in bottles (Optimal Wit and Monumental IPA) along with some packaged cheese/crackers, guacamole, and hummus.
- Ventilation in the rooms was generally adequate - I had brought along a CO2 monitor to check during the current situation and found CO2 remained consistently between 500 and 1100 ppm depending on whether we were in the room and for how long. There didn't seem to be any cross ventilation from other occupied rooms based on the low readings when we came from being out for a while.

ngl1020

Reaction score
Thanks for all of this information. We are planning a trip in the Spring to The District. Trying to figure out the difference between 1 bedroom Standard and 1 bedroom Standard Lock off. Points the same, sq ft the same. Cannot find any specific photos. Any help is appreciated!

bengooddeals

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed a couple times at both Mayflower and The District. Disclosure I am an owner at The District. Guess could also say I am an owner at Mayflower because of DC points because Mayflower was never sold as weeks.

I like both properties asboth has it pros and cons. Some things off the top of my head.

Mayflower is close to everything in DC. Steps from the metro and 2 or 3 blocks from White House. Great for sightseeing and everything. While the District is in Georgetown and close to eateries and shops. Have been in a suite and regular rooms at Mayflower The District has bigger rooms as they are all 1br units. Mayflower does not have laundry facilities in hotel while the District does. Their is the concierge lounge at Mayflower (platinum and above) while District has breakfast and evening reception for all guests. There is an owners lounge at District that has snacks and drinks available all day but you have to be an owner there. Parking is expensive at both properties.

I like Mayflower if staying and sightseeing during the weekdays. Weekends I would prefer to be at District since the restaurants are plentiful and open. Downtown DC is a ghost town weekends. If no vehicle the closest metro stop to District is about 20 minutes away. There is a Krispy Kreme and The Halal guys on the walk from the metro station to District . Sorry no Krispy Kreme hear where I live.

If anyone has other questions I would be glad to answer them.

@GregT, wife and I took Amtrack to Philly for a few days this past January. It was great and fun experience as we have never ridden Amtrack. If you liked DC, you will like Philly. We walked around city and had a blast. Walked from our hotel to Genos/Pat's then down to the river. Saw the sister (USS New Jersey) to USS Missouri right across the Philadelphia river. Had a good time walking along the waterfront. We walked a lot of downtown and there sure is a lot of history. Wife and I will be sure to go back to Philly next time we are in DC. Was a quick 3 hour train ride and I believe about the same time as driving. Will be in your neck of the woods third week of Oct.

Thank you for your detailed sharing

I will like to clarify that single night points reservations for District bHC during Club Priority Window do not attract any short stay fee ( like W57 bHC ) ?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
There is not short stay fee at The District that I know of. Though my shortest stay was 3 nights.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can check for the short stay fee by looking in the yellow box labeled "Important Information" on the right side of the page for an individual resort. West 57th includes the following bullet in that box:

• For reservations of three nights or fewer, there is an $85 short stay fee, plus applicable taxes, payable upon check-out.
The District and the other Hilton Club ones I've looked at (and booked at) do not.