• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The BEST shave ice

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure whether I should have posted this link here or in the lounge as part of the coffee thread (since this is about what true connoisseurs prefer), but here is an article on the very best shave ice to be had in Hawaii. (Love the map suggesting one fly from Washington to Hawaii for shave ice. I thought that the people who fly from Honolulu to Kauai just for the best saimen was extreme.)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We were recently disappointed by the so-called "shave ice," at Brenneke's at Poipu. They are now using a snow cone machine and calling it "shave ice."

The sanitation practices there were not acceptable either. The person making the shave ice had gloves on, but they went outside and brought ice in, and then continued to pat on the shave ice with the same gloves that they wore outside, where they touched the exterior door, the freezer, and who knows what else.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We were recently disappointed by the so-called "shave ice," at Brenneke's at Poipu. They are now using a snow cone machine and calling it "shave ice."

The sanitation practices there were not acceptable either. The person making the shave ice had gloves on, but they went outside and brought ice in, and then continued to pat on the shave ice with the same gloves that they wore outside, where they touched the exterior door, the freezer, and who knows what else.
Sounds like the gloves were just to keep their hands clean, not your ice. :eek:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. My wife and I will be going to Kauai in about two weeks (first time in about eight or ten years). Since we think this might be our last trip to Kauai (the fights from the Midwest are just too long), we will be staying a few days on the south side (we are north siders in that debate) as well as the north side. I'll be sure to give this place a wide berth.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Ono Ono Shave Ice store in Kauai, in particular Halo Halo which is a Philippines style shave ice which has taro ice cream, custard all mixed in.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Thanks for the article. We're due for a return to the Big Island and will try this
For sure. On Kauai, I'm partial to Ono's. There is a new truck parked on an open
Lot by the Pono Market that I haven't tried yet though.

Karenann

TUG Member
Reaction score
JoJo's shave ice

I was in Kauai a week ago and had shave ice (my first one!) at JoJo's in Waimea. It was good and came in so many combinations of flavors. We stopped on the way to Waimea Canyon. On the way back, we had shrimp at Shrimp Station - also very good.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Jojo's was really good!

sent from my cell phone...

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best shaved ice may be in Hawaii but I like sno cones better and the best sno cones are found on the street corners of Baltimore ( some in the "Penn-North" area of west Baltimore we all saw on TV recently

And gloved hands and hairnets are the last things I'd worry about buying from a street vendor

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
On Maui, I really like Ululani's in Lahaina.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I was in Kauai a week ago and had shave ice (my first one!) at JoJo's in Waimea. It was good and came in so many combinations of flavors. We stopped on the way to Waimea Canyon. On the way back, we had shrimp at Shrimp Station - also very good.

Thanks for reminding me of the name. We have stopped at JoJo's twice over the years and really enjoyed it. I couldn't remember the name. We will be there in June, so will definitely make that part of our trip. Great shave ice.

Mike

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
And gloved hands and hairnets are the last things I'd worry about buying from a street vendor

This pretty much describes your philosophy of life, doesn't it? :D

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
This pretty much describes your philosophy of life, doesn't it? :D

Pretty much

I know when I'm buying lunch from a street vendor I'm not looking for his latest health dept inspection report

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

taffy19

Reaction score
On Maui, I really like Ululani's in Lahaina.
We only had one experience of having "Shave Ice" on Maui and it was on a corner in Lahaina near the Big Banyon Tree. We walked over there to enjoy it and I have never heard so many birds chirping away all at the same time just before it was getting completely dark. I will never forget this experience in Lahaina as long as I live.

We are used to this in Puerto Vallarta where they have the same Banyon trees and the noise of the birds all at once but it always reminds me of having our first "Shave Ice" in Lahaina.

Only a couple more weeks and we will be there again and visit Lahaina, etc. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Glad to hear your headed back. Enjoy your trip Emmy!!

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We like Jojo's in the south and wishing well in the north on Kauai

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For me, I find shaved ice to be unimpressive. It is okay, but it isn't sweet enough for me. Just colored snow with a tinge of flavor. The best part about Hawaiian shaved ice is that you are in Hawaii when eating it...

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love Ululani's and have made good use of the frequent buyer cards in the past. :p We go to the north Kihei location. My favorite flavor combo is the Sunset Beach. http://www.ululanishawaiianshaveice.com/

Another vote for Ululani's - any day that we spent on-property (Marriott's Maui Ocean Club) we made an expedition to the stand on the beachwalk in front of the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali, and eventually filled up our "frequent flyer" cards. :whoopie: It was a great activity to do with kids (even though they're in their thirties - shave ice knows no age limit!)

However, a caveat - we discovered that a few of the shavers were not as good as the others, and would time our visits to coincide with the ones that seemed to pack the ice best and drench it the most effectively.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trip Advisor rates Ululani's the number 1 (of 128) restaurants in Kihei, number 3 (of 8) in Ka'anapali. It is number 2 of 250 places to eat and number 1 of 18 dessert places in Lahaina. It has built quite a reputation. I like their Haleakala flavor.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see so many others who have found the same favorites that we've found!

On Kauai, Jo Jo's was good, but Ono Ono was our favorite.

On Oahu, we thought Matsumoto was just okay, and recently discovered Mountain Magic and it has been our favorite there.

On Maui, we definitely liked Ululani's.

But on our most recent trip to the Big Island, we found our favorite of all! Original Big Island Shave Ice was INCREDIBLE! Such creative, tasty combinations. We tried just about every one of their special combinations. We drove 30-60 minutes (each way) numerous times on our trip to enjoy it. And we've joked about flying over there just to have more.

I wish we could get real shave ice here. Snow cones, snow balls, etc. just aren't the same.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
For me, I find shaved ice to be unimpressive. It is okay, but it isn't sweet enough for me. Just colored snow with a tinge of flavor. The best part about Hawaiian shaved ice is that you are in Hawaii when eating it...

Have you tried the JoJo's combinations? This one was our favorite. Sweet creme on top, sweet Mac ice cream on bottom. I certainly wouldn't say it lacked sweetness... I realize I'm not a purist, but, 'I like what I like..' :eek:

TROPICAL BREEZE

Guava, Lilikoi, Mango
with Mac Nut Ice Cream & Haupia Cream

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The least messy

Having had colored drips on my Hawaiian shirts every time I tried shaved ice I have to say the best shaved ice would be either the one where the drips didn't show up or a dripless shaved ice.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Having had colored drips on my Hawaiian shirts every time I tried shaved ice I have to say the best shaved ice would be either the one where the drips didn't show up or a dripless shaved ice.
And this would be precisely why I frequently wear my crazy shirts wine dyed t shirt

sent from my cell phone...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

If your Aloha shirt has the same colors as the shave ice drips, you're all set. Nobody will notice. :)