• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Texting etiquette question

Hemlock65

Reaction score
When you are texting with close friends/family (not a casual text to someone you don't see often or know well) do you always text "Hi XXX" before your message? I have one friend who always responds with Hi! first, followed by her message. She insists it’s rude to not say hi before a message. Am I being rude by not saying their name or Hi first?

*please don‘t respond to this question if you‘re under the age of 20:ROFLMAO:

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I generally start with "Howdy!" or similar. I don't use their name ... but somehow take comfort in starting with a greeting and a transition rather than barging directly into the message.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hi I usually say it on TUG too!

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Grand Desert, Kingsgate, Bali Hai, Oceanside
The more frequently I text someone, the less likely I am to start with “Hi xxx.” So my husband, kids, sister, SIL, parents of my school-age kids’ friends with whom I regularly schedule get-togethers, etc - generally don’t get a preliminary greeting. People whom I rarely text or am texting for the first time, yes, it’s a good indicator that I know who I’m communicating with.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
not rude at all not to say hi.
However, I usually do if I'm texting someone I haven't texted in weeks/month, like for playdates for my kids or distant friends

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
I'm with your friend, it is polite to start 1-on-1 conversations with a Hello x, im wondering blah blah blah

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
No hi or any other greeting.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I start with a greeting, then add my message on the same text. To just launch into the message without a greeting is rude, especially if it's someone I haven't communicated with in some time.

Sort of how I end every post on Tug with my name. Yes, it's right there with my avatar, and yes, it was me sending it, but to not sign off the posting is kind of like not saying Goodbye when you hang up on a phone call. To just hang up is also rude. :)

Dave (See - I did it again! :))

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
With personal texts or email, I usually start with a 'Hi', but here and on social media, I just plunge right in with the message.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only thing that would ever bother me with a text is stupid abbreviations such "r u" instead of "are you". That makes me want to poke out my eyes. Otherwise I don't care at all. Unless you're not in my contract list, I know that it's you when I receive your message. Emails require more formalities, imo. Texting is far more casual to me, with very few rules.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sort of how I end every out on Tug with my name. Yes, it's right there with my avatar, and yes, it was me sending it, but to not sign off the posting is kind of like not saying Goodbye when you hang up on a phone call. To just hang up is also rude. :)

Dave (See - I did it again! :))
Oops. I don't put my name on every post- or just make it a sig file Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Get over it.

I have a basic problem with etiquette. My dog gives me 'the look' when I invite perfect strangers into the house while he barks without even sniffing their behind or their breath to see what they had for lunch. What an uncultured cad.

OK- here it is. . . .

Jim

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
The only thing that would ever bother me with a text is stupid abbreviations such "r u" instead of "are you". That makes me want to poke out my eyes. Otherwise I don't care at all. Unless you're not in my contract list, I know that it's you when I receive your message. Emails require more formalities, imo. Texting is far more casual to me, with very few rules.
I c u rel8 2 oldschool comms

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
For people (including extended family) that I don't text often, I always start with a Hi, Hiya or something similar, then start right into my message in the same text. One of our sons always starts his text with "Hey"! The other son, if he wants to ask a question or a favor, starts with "So, I was wondering...…"

~Diane

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So then what about punctuation and capitalization in texts? I know people who seem to forget they ever went to school when texting. And then here I come, the texting Grammar Police. Note my sentences start with a capital letter and end with some punctuation mark. May be overkill, and may be me showing my age, but my 7th grade English teacher, Miss Hazel Brown, (the original spinster schoolmarm, bless her iron-clad heart), would be proud of all those A's she gave me. I earned them. I also learned, and still try as hard as I can to remember what she taught me. :)

It's only autocorrect that makes me sound like the Village Idiot. LOL! :D

Dave

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
If I'm starting the text chain I usually say Hi or something like Hey Dummy depending on who it is. If I'm answering I just answer. Never really thought about it. Maybe I will do a text with no greeting next time.

I case it comes up, I never text bye. Sometimes ok but usually nothing.

Bill

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
If I'm texting from my iPhone 6S, I type all lowercase. For whatever reason (some deeply hidden setting, I'm sure), the phone always wants to correct/change my use of upper/lower case and I'm weary of fighting it.

If texting from my 5S, my iPad or my laptop ... I use full sentences with proper case and punctuation. There is just something goofy about my 6S and its forceful auto-correct tendancies. Someday, soon I hope, I'll upgrade from the 6S to either the 8 or XR ... or ... ???

So then what about punctuation and capitalization in texts? I know people who seem to forget they ever went to school when texting. And then here I come, the texting Grammar Police. Note my sentences start with a capital letter and end with some punctuation mark. May be overkill, and may be me showing my age, but my 7th grade English teacher, Miss Hazel Brown, (the original spinster schoolmarm, bless her iron-clad heart), would be proud of all those A's she gave me. I earned them. I also learned, and still try as hard as I can to remember what she taught me. :)

Dave

geekette

Reaction score

Dave

Oh good golly, I can do it right, but so often my fingers are keeping pace with brain speak and not backing up to cap the first letter of a sentence. For formal communications, I'm on it. Otherwise, eh.. if my meaning is clear, I'm not going back to fix. I don't spellcheck, either, except, again, formal comm.

Many times I'm not looking at the screen as fingers do their magic because a lot of my thinking is best done looking at blank wall or some unremarkable object near me. not sure why that is, but for me, it is. Unless the fingers launched from the wrong keys at the get go and it's pure gibberish, I don't bother with fixes.

One thing I don't do is load up on obscure acronyms. I think I got my fill of that in the workplace (last job was nuts on this, assuming everyone knew what was meant, but really, only the folks that had been there for decades would have had any way to know).

Not being a texter, there are a lot of acronyms used there that I'm not going to know.

geekette

Reaction score
What do y'all think about creating a term for this, textiquette?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
To start with I only exchange texts with friends and family. So no punctuation. No signs offs. No salutations. Except to Patti - professing my Love for her. If you want all that other stuff send me a letter or email.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oh heck no, I'm not saying it's for everyone. And I'm ok if others choose not to do it. I don't have to like it, it's just how it is. I don't correct the speech or typing of others, only myself. Obviously, I'm often the odd man out, especially with the younger texting crowd. But I can't just type badly and hit Send. My OCD typist freaks out over things like that. Probably comes from a career of sitting in front of a keyboard - as a computer operator, programmer, and data analyst, accuracy in typing is vital. It follows then, that my texting habits are as fussy.

I blame the Navy. And Miss Brown. LOL! :D

Dave

Helaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa Grande
Fiesta Americana
I learned from the kids so I never use Hello, Hi or a name - unless it's someone I'm texting for the very first time. I don't use a signature or my name at the end either - again unless it's the very first time I've texted them and want to make sure they know it's me. :)