• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tesla CyberTruck Launch Event - did you even know?

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Hello fellow TUGGERs. For those of you who track the EV sector, and for those of you who don't, were you aware that Tesla held a CyberTruck launch event on 11/30 and delivered the first ten Cybertrucks to customers? As a Tesla stockholder and researcher, of course I was well aware months in advance of this date, however I'm curious to better understand just how insular the Tesla community really is. Were any of my fellow TUGGERs aware of the Tesla Cybertruck launch event that took place on 11/30? Did anyone watch the streamed event via X (formerly Twitter) or one of the third parties that streamed this event on Youtube? Did any of the media sources that you routinely read and/or watch have any coverage of this event? For anyone interested in learning more about this polarizing new product:

If you want to watch the event after the fact:

I'm genuinely curious to get a better sense of how widely this event was even known to have been occurring for the average consumer, and what are your personal opinions? Even within the Tesla community, the opinions and thoughts vary widely. The Cybertruck seems to be a love/hate kinda product. Where do you stand?

Couple of pictures from when we saw the CyberTruck down at Montgomery Mall near Bethesda, MD, on Saturday of last week:
1701707292679.png

1701707317219.png

1701707265807.png

1701707224887.png

RX8

Timeshare Scam Investigator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I was aware but did not watch the launch.

Many people buy a vehicle because they love the way it looks and how it makes them feel driving down the road. Maybe it is just me but that thing is hideous.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Also unaware of the event until after and it showed up in the news feed. I still remember his first unveiling when the windows were smashed.

There are so many Teslas around here I really despise the owners, they are the most privileged aholes on the road.

I'm seeing a lot of Rivians also.

I will never own one, but I have my eye on a PHEV for my next purchase.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
That thing has ugly it hasn't even used yet! Couldn't pay me to own/drive one!

~Diane

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was well aware of the launch, but wasn't interested enough to watch it live. It's a niche product that tests Elon's ideas for a futuristic truck. Absolutely curious about it, because Musk can be brilliant no matter what his flaws may be, but the CyberTruck is ugly as hell. I know some people who plan to buy one, because it is cool. I can't see that is a huge market.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I was unaware. But I also think that Elon Musk is basically a Bond villain at this point. And that vehicle screams post-apocalyptic to me.

Yeah, in regards to Musk in his evil lair, I keep wondering what he's doing that we don't (yet) know about. Of course, for a guy who knows how to turn $44B into almost nothing, he gets a lot of respect from some people.

And I couldn't agree more with your characterization of this vehicle. It will still be cool to see them on the road, tho.

As for the OP, I knew, I didn't watch, I didn't care (much), and I'm telling everyone I know not to buy Tesla because of Musk (and yes, I'm still a shareholder, though likely not for long).

jorcus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had CNBC on so did catch part of it live. I just can't figure out how much it would cost to replace 4, 35 inch tires! It should be a big hit with the cartel bosses.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
I knew about the event
I watched the event
I am very familiar with the recent outbursts and behaviors of Mr. Musk
I think the vehicle is at a price point putting it into the niche market
Time will tell if my analysis is worth the digital space it occupies

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I was unaware. But I also think that Elon Musk is basically a Bond villain at this point. And that vehicle screams post-apocalyptic to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's funny to hear you use the term post-apocalyptic to describe the CT - as that is the exact same term Musk himself uses. He literally openly states it has post-apocalyptic vibes, what with the "bullet resistant" stainless steel exterior. :cool:

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I watched it begrudgingly, but I already own a Tesla and have a day one reservation for a Cybertruck (which I probably won't be going through with now). Tesla presentations are ridiculously bad and this one was no exception. It didn't start on time, and Elon bumbled around like he hadn't even prepared what he was planning on saying.

Personally I'm not someone who's wanting to stand out in a crowd so I needed the price point to be way closer to what was originally promised in order to push me into buying. I actually like that it's a big leap out of the usual box for automotive design and materials, and I'm sure it will be successful and drive change in the industry. Like most new and different consumer items, once it becomes more ubiquitous the general public's opinion will soften.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I knew about the event
I watched the event
I am very familiar with the recent outbursts and behaviors of Mr. Musk
I think the vehicle is at a price point putting it into the niche market
Time will tell if my analysis is worth the digital space it occupies
The price points for the models fall right into the same range as most other pickup EVs in the market, when compared to the F150L Lariat/Platinum or the Rivian pickups. I expect the CT prices to fall as they ramp up production and supply meets demand (or perhaps exceeds demand), much like what has happened over time with every other Tesla model over time.

Greg G

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
I heard about the event, and got a notification of it. Yeah, that EV looks like something out of a Mad Max movie, or something tornado storm chasers would drive.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I watched it begrudgingly, but I already own a Tesla and have a day one reservation for a Cybertruck (which I probably won't be going through with now). Tesla presentations are ridiculously bad and this one was no exception. It didn't start on time, and Elon bumbled around like he hadn't even prepared what he was planning on saying.

Personally I'm not someone who's wanting to stand out in a crowd so I needed the price point to be way closer to what was originally promised in order to push me into buying. I actually like that it's a big leap out of the usual box for automotive design and materials, and I'm sure it will be successful and drive change in the industry. Like most new and different consumer items, once it becomes more ubiquitous the general public's opinion will soften.
I think the price was set higher as a result of the large number of reservations - apparently over 2mm from what I've heard. I bet the prices are set to test demand and see how many reservation holders actually convert to an order when their number comes up. When demand is high, you price the good higher. As demand is met over time I think we'll see pricing either stay flat or even decrease dependent upon market conditions - much like we've seen with the other models from Tesla over the past year or so. I do agree wholeheartedly that Tesla needs to stop behaving as though they are a fledgling startup type company when it comes to their product launches. That's part of the reason I mentioned the insular Tesla ecosystem and the fact that this ecosystem that closely surrounds Tesla basically serves as an echo chamber for Tesla that only hurts their chances of wider product adoption over the long term. They need to transition to a more mature growth oriented multi-billion dollar organization now, and I don't really see them doing this on many levels - including delivering better customer experiences at a macro level.

I will say the CT is one of those designs that seems to look better in person than pictures. I think the very angular design comes across badly in most pictures. That said, even in person there are angles were I like it and angles where I really don't like it. Love/hate for sure. I initially reserved the dual motor version with hopes that we'd actually see a 500 mile trimotor version, but alas that didn't happen and I'm not really interested in losing the entire pickup bed to a range extender and full size spare tire just to get up closer to that 500 mile range. I'll be keeping my day zero reservation since my number won't be called any time soon anyways, at least that's my sense right now as I doubt we're going to see much production ramp in 2024 (maybe 25-30k units at most best estimate).

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I thought I heard about these a few years ago but I didn't hear about the launch. I don't need a new vehicle so I'm really not interested and don't care what other people buy.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I'm going to wait for Musk to hit rock bottom and sell to Berkshire Hathaway. Then maybe I'll be interested. Solar panels and an electric vehicle make an awful lot of sense in my location. But H2 fuel cells do, as well -- without the need for lithium mining. Whoever wins the infrastructure race in Hawaii will get my ducats for a errand-runner.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I watched it begrudgingly, but I already own a Tesla and have a day one reservation for a Cybertruck (which I probably won't be going through with now). Tesla presentations are ridiculously bad and this one was no exception.
I don’t consider you a privileged ahole.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Except for the "privilege" of owning a Tesla why would anyone buy one of these?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow TUGGERs. For those of you who track the EV sector, and for those of you who don't, were you aware that Tesla held a CyberTruck launch event on 11/30 and delivered the first ten Cybertrucks to customers? As a Tesla stockholder and researcher, of course I was well aware months in advance of this date, however I'm curious to better understand just how insular the Tesla community really is. Were any of my fellow TUGGERs aware of the Tesla Cybertruck launch event that took place on 11/30? Did anyone watch the streamed event via X (formerly Twitter) or one of the third parties that streamed this event on Youtube? Did any of the media sources that you routinely read and/or watch have any coverage of this event? For anyone interested in learning more about this polarizing new product:

If you want to watch the event after the fact:

I'm genuinely curious to get a better sense of how widely this event was even known to have been occurring for the average consumer, and what are your personal opinions? Even within the Tesla community, the opinions and thoughts vary widely. The Cybertruck seems to be a love/hate kinda product. Where do you stand?

Couple of pictures from when we saw the CyberTruck down at Montgomery Mall near Bethesda, MD, on Saturday of last week:
View attachment 85197
View attachment 85198
View attachment 85196
View attachment 85195
I had no idea about the launch.

That is not a car (truck?) that I would buy. It is too far out of the box for me, I guess.

I really loved the first Tesla sedan, but the SUVish one is not something that I would drive, nor is this vehicle. But everyone thinks that their baby is beautiful so I won't pass judgement. But it doesn't look like I will be buying a Tesla anytime soon.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I don't imagine Charlie M. would have ever bought and I can't imagine Warren and/or the rest of the management would buy Musk either. But stranger things have happened.

I remember Warren writing in one of his annual reports that half his acquisitions comes from "I need cash, fast" owners; and the other half comes from "I've taken this as far as I can. Can you take this business to the next level?"

Musk will very likely be a "fast-cash" seller. Space X, Starlink and Tesla are solid companies. Starlink in particular. The entire developing world is going to want in on that. Villages in Kenya are going to pool resources to get a solar panel and a starlink connection. Tesla moves a lot of cars -- much to the horror of the drill-baby-drill crowd. They would do even better if they weren't run by the CEO equivalent of Andy Dick on a bender.

Twitter was the dumbest financial move since Jim Cramer advised people not to "get silly on Bear Stearns." I think the most likely explanation for Musk's behavior is, "this is what happens when an addict can afford to plummet right through rock bottom into uncharted territory."

The last scene of Scarface, basically.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO, I’m not so sure I’d bet against Elon for buying Twitter/X. He’s doing a great job losing advertisers, but the amount of data stored in Twitter/X is enormously valuable to X.ai. It may be proprietary, but as he said in his interview with Andrew Ross Sorkin last week, all AI companies scrape data.

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
IMHO, I’m not so sure I’d bet against Elon for buying Twitter/X. He’s doing a great job losing advertisers, but the amount of data stored in Twitter/X is enormously valuable to X.ai. It may be proprietary, but as he said in his interview with Andrew Ross Sorkin last week, all AI companies scrape data.

I'm only looking at the numbers. Bear Stearns had $11B in assets when they went under. (Granted, it was all debt all the time with that company, which is why it folded.)

X -- the name change was a dumb move because it's trademarked by a competitor and it's the rating you don't want your movie to get unless it's starring Jack Hammer and Nikki Notti. That company has shed more than $25B in a year. And much of that can be laid right at Musk's feet -- the most-expensive ever game of Fool Around and Find Out.

I'm very glad I don't have any positions in anything he's involved with. But I'll cheerfully eat my words if he turns things around and it's a $100B company this time next year.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Pre-launch, I read that a Cyber Truck broke down at a super charger last October. A guy with a Ford F150 parked next to it. I like the contrast seeing both parked next to each other. I think my brother in law and I both put in a $100 reservation deposit before Covid hit. His thinking is we would flip them after playing around in them during the time it takes to sell.

Bill

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
This is what an EV truck should look like...

gc-godega-electric-vehicle-scaled.jpeg