• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tequila to bring home

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for great tequilas to bring home that are not available in US? It needs to be available in the Cancun area.

You should know that tequila is made in Jalisco, and often it has travelled farther to get to Cancun than to the US.

My only tequila experience was in Cabo (I don't drink but I was with a tequila drinker)....Tequila shops will give you samples of their offerings. I'd suggest that you sample and find one you like that you can't find at your local liquor store back home.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for great tequilas to bring home that are not available in US? It needs to be available in the Cancun area.

It really depends on your preferences. It's no different than asking for a recommendation on a bottle of wine. What do you like? Reds? Whites? Sweet? Dry? Cab? Syrah? ...........

Same goes for tequila. For starters, do you prefer a blanco, reposado, anejo, extra anejo? Lowland or highland?

Before I can offer some suggestions, need a bit more information. ;)

Last edited:

dennisokey

Reaction score
Sorry it's a gift.they like taquila straight i.e. Not mixed

Yes I know there are probibly more types of taquila in the states than available in Stores in Mexico. Some are created for export from Mexico. I was intrested in finding something that is not available in the US.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Our resort, the Villa del Palmar Cancun, has about 50 tequila labels in their tequila bar. The best is called "silver tequila from the Casa de Dragones and sells for about $600 a bottle. I like white & silver tequilas made from blue agave cactus if were drinking shots.

If you want a local tequila in Cancun you can pick up a bottle of the local stuff at the Cancun flea market. You could also go on a tequila tour. Costco and Walmart also have cool tourist tequila for sale.

I buy the duty free store tequila at the airport when I bring some home.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually pick up a bottle or two at the duty-free at the airport when leaving. You have to transfer it into your checked bag (or check one) after you clear customs entering the US.

I like blancos or 'silver', and take care to buy 'real' tequila, produced in the State of Jalisco. All from elsewhere is imposter. I might drink some non-Jalisco Blue Agave while in Mexico, but I won't bother carrying it home.

Jim

rpennisi

Reaction score
The duty free stores at the airport have some tequilas in very unique bottle shapes that I have not seen in the US, so that might be a way to go for a gift selection.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd pick up a bottle of Tapatio reposado. NOM 1139.

IMNSHO, the 'fancy bottle stuff', generally speaking, is some of the worst tequila sold. Yes, there are a few exceptions, however, the stuff the tourist gringos gravitate toward is the worst. Corralejo and Clase Azul come to mind. Nasty crap in pretty bottles.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Care to explain?

Sure. Like 'Champagne' can only be produced in a small region in France, and Idaho potatoes must be produced in Idaho, Tequila must be distilled and bottled in the state of Jalisco from Blue Agave grown in Jalisco. I'm sure there are credible liquors produced elsewhere, like sparkling wines from Italy, Spain, even California are not Champagne, all distilled agave squeezings is not Tequila.

Jim

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure. Like 'Champagne' can only be produced in a small region in France, and Idaho potatoes must be produced in Idaho, Tequila must be distilled and bottled in the state of Jalisco from Blue Agave grown in Jalisco. I'm sure there are credible liquors produced elsewhere, like sparkling wines from Italy, Spain, even California are not Champagne, all distilled agave squeezings is not Tequila.

Jim

So in your book, the states of Michoacan, Guanajuato, Nayarit and Tamaulipas don't count? :confused:

Ever tried Chinaco? ;)

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So in your book, the states of Michoacan, Guanajuato, Nayarit and Tamaulipas don't count? :confused:

Ever tried Chinaco? ;)

nope, is it pretty good ?

Mexican law states that tequila can only be made with blue agave grown in Jalisco and in a few areas of other states that are geographically similar. We hear this on every tequila tour in the Puerto Vallarta area.

Then when visiting other areas of Mexico you find a tequila distillery with its own blue agave fields producing quality tequila called mezcal or tequila.

By the time the people are trying to explain this I usually have my buzz on so I always figure, it just doesn't mater, it taste like tequila. :D

And, never order Mexican whisky with a cola as in a whisky cola. Mexican whiskey is tequila and tastes odd mixed with cola.

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you were in PV, did you get out & sample some raiclilla? :eek:

To clarify, the origin of genuine tequila must come from one of 5 states in Mexico.

Btw, I've had Dom Perignon & Veuve Clicquot champagnes, and neither of them can hold a candle to the finest champagne in the world, produced in our own state of California. It's a word folks.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, we were able to try Racilla at San Sebastian. They actually make this here. I didn't like it one bit.

Some of the other very small tequila distilleries along the Rio Tomalitan were my favorites.

I have better luck purchasing tequila at the duty free stores. The last time we bought tequila at the duty free going to Mexico it was Patron Silver for under $25 a bottle or 2-4-1 , imo. This is the tequila that is our regular tequila, the every once in a while ( rarely) that we drink tequila.

Bill

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we were able to try Racilla at San Sebastian. They actually make this here. I didn't like it one bit.

Some of the other very small tequila distilleries along the Rio Tomalitan were my favorites.

I have better luck purchasing tequila at the duty free stores. The last time we bought tequila at the duty free going to Mexico it was Patron Silver for under $25 a bottle or 2-4-1 , imo. This is the tequila that is our regular tequila, the every once in a while ( rarely) that we drink tequila.

Bill

Raicilla is moonshine. I had it on Yalapa, pulled out of a shack and served by an elderly woman with no teeth, poured from a very old water jug. Memories....

Ah yes, Patrón. Hyper marketed for the US market, and highly over rated.

However, since you like it, now try the original Patrón. That would be Siete Leguas, NOM 1120. You'll pay less and like it more. Tip: buy the reposado. You can thank me later. ;)

When you're done tasting the Siete Leguas, move on to El Tesoro de Don Felipe reposado, NOM 1139 - ring a bell? If my tequila collection was down to just one bottle, that would be the one I'd stretch to last the longest.

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
When do we move on to mezcal? :ponder:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tequila is just a novelty for me. I drink it Mexico once in a while. :D

I really don't drink much, but when I do decide to indulge, I like top shelf Canadian Blended Whiskeys like Crown Royal, Weisers or Alberta Springs.

Recently a distillery in Hood River Oregon has a blended Whiskey called Pendleton. I like this blend better than Crown if we are drinking whiskey on the rocks or whiskey on water.

Bill

rpennisi

Reaction score
My favorite tequila was from a small family distillery near the town of San Sebastian, called San Sebastián. Unfortunately couldn't find it in PV.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahh, tequila! The most complex, wonderful, amazing and indescribable spirit on earth.

Doubt it? Describe the flavor of fermented agave.

Enjoy, in moderation! :clap::clap::clap:

Only to be sipped and savored. Puts any fine cognac to shame. JMNSHO, of course.