• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tell me about the Royals!

laxmom

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
Reaction score
Considering an exchange into Cancun and I have always heard about how great the Royals are. Can someone elaborate? Are they all equal or is there one that is a stand out? (We are pool people but like to walk the beach. Would love to see the ruins.)

DH is all concerned because a coworker came home sicker than a dog from Cancun so now he doesn't want to go. I told him that if people were returning from this resort ill, I would have read about it here! Can anyone give me info that would help ease his fears? I thought I read somewhere that they had their own water filtration system.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys!

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
You can vacation like a Royal on a shoestring. We did. Hotel zone water is safe and you can buy bottled water if DH would feel better. We went 5 years ago. Royals are wonderful and clean. I would pick any of the Tri Royals for location and there are 3 resorts together. We stayed at Royal Mayan. Lots of activites and an onsite mini mart and restaurants. Bus system is inexpensive to get to places.

Club International is on the calmer water side of Cancun but I did not like the area that it is in. I much prefer the area around Tri Royals. The Sands is newer and larger buildings mid hotel zone.

Royal Sands is down the road and the newest. We saw the flamenco show there.

Read the reviews for input on dining, getting around and attractions.

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Regular readers here know I am a real fan of the Royals. If you search this forum you will find many posts by me and others that, along with reading TUG reviews, will give you information.

The Royals' villas are all laid out the same - except for decor and some upgrades (e.g. countertops and appliances) over the years - you'll have pretty much the same layout and space in all of them. In all cases the maintenance and service is excellent; the age of the older ones (e.g. about 25 years for the Mayan) is not relevant.

The main decision is whether you want to be at the Tris (Mayan, Caribbean, Islander), Sands, Club Internacional, or Haciendas. There is a different feel in each case - the Tris (and it doesn't really matter which of the three) seem to have a warmer feel than the Sands, to some of us. Some have described the Sands as more sterile, or more of a hotel feel. Maybe a lot of that has to do with how long people have been going to each one, how many "regulars" there are, and so forth. The Haciendas is in Playa del Carmen and you'd need to read posts or reviews for more info.

In all cases, you have nice pools and beach walking. In all cases you can take a bus or van to the ruins.

If you look at the pictures on royalresorts.com or mexicondo.com or even the satellite pics on google maps, you'll see the resort layouts and the pools. You have more pools to choose from at the Tris, and the pools at the Caribbean are really huge. All the Tri-Royal pools are curvy and landscaped, which provides more of a variety of areas to sit, nap, have conversations. One of the pools at the Sands is huge - but straight-sided, not much landscaping, and the chairs are in multiple rows like a cruise ship. The other is curvy and more like the one at the Islander. The Haciendas has two straight sided pools. The Sands and the Haciendas have lap pools.

The Royals pay and treat their staff well, and we have had the same waiters, maids, etc for many years. They are always friendly and provide great service - but not intrusive.

The water is definitely not a problem - not at the Royals or at any of the major hotels, resorts, or restaurants. I've been drinking ice-water there for years, and eating salads, fruit, etc, with no problems. You are correct that there is a water purification system. At a smaller more local place, you might not have the high cleanliness standards and you have to be cautious.

I suggest searching this site and also the reviews, and of course post or PM with questions.

Last edited:

buceo

Reaction score
I'm not convinced the incidence of "traveler's discomfort-I wish I were dead" is any higher in Cancun than places in the US. To play it safe, in addition to avoiding tap water avoid fresh fruits and vegetables and under cooked eggs and avoid eating salsa every time you stop for a beverage. We don't avoid any of these ourselves and have never had a problem. In addition the other common culprit are sauces that are not kept cold in a restaurant's kitchen. But like I said, I'm not sure it's anymore common in Cancun than anywhere else. The worst food poisoning I ever had was Fairbanks, AK and I'm pretty convinced it was the Holandaise sauce.

We sure like the Royals. For any one trip any one of them would be fine, you can then pick your own favorite for your next trip.

Amongst the area's six Royal Resorts, probably the two most different of the 6 are the Club International on the top of the island and The Haciendas in Playa del Carmen.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amongst the area's six Royal Resorts, probably the two most different of the 6 are the Club International on the top of the island and The Haciendas in Playa del Carmen.

I agree, and I forgot to mention Club Internacional. While the other Royals are arranged like a big horseshoe or capital C with the open end facing the ocean, Club Internacional has numerous small buildings, kind of like a Mediterranean village. That means that most units in the others have an ocean view, but not necessarily in Club Internacional. Club Internacional is by far the quietest Royal. The pools are smaller, and the ocean there is very shallow and flat. It has lovely landscaping and a nice private mellow atmosphere.

laxmom

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information! I had read the resort reviews and anything I could get my hands on, including the Royal website, and I couldn't see a difference in the resorts. Curiious if there was more to it that I wasn't seeing. I will show DH your posts and hope it makes a difference.

DosMasCervesos

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Club Internacional, while the water is not as beautiful, there is ALWAYS a beach.
Agreed. Last summer we stayed both at Club International and Royal Sands. CI (aka VCI) was great for the kids because they could snorkel easily. Both were terrific. RS is much newer, but CI has been very well kept up. The rooms were slightly noisy at CI, but that is a very small complaint.

Matt

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Club Internacional, while the water is not as beautiful, there is ALWAYS a beach.

I think it's beautiful, and it's great for kids.

Best of all, it still has that wonderful soft sand.

geoffb

TUG Member
Reaction score
The hotel zone water is safe and many resorts (including all of the Royals) re-filter the water with reverse osmosis systems anyway because of the whole 'water in Mexico' thing.

carlrocky

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
People get sick in Cincinnati too. Is He not going to eat anywhere !

We traded into the Royal Sands last January. We had meals in town and never a problem. The staff at the Royals is truly what makes the place so-o good.

JRM

Reaction score
We own every other year at the Royal Sands and every other year at the Royal Haciendas. They are both great in their own right. The Sands is busier but you have quick access via the shuttle system to all of the Royals in Cancun so moving around is quite easy. The Haciendas is very quite but yet nicer than the Sands room wise. Mobility is a bit more difficult since Playa del Carmen is a ways off and Cancun is a real hike but the Haciendas is more relaxing. So you need to choose what is best for you. We enjoy the best of both worlds just different years.

Last edited:

jschmidt

Reaction score
Club Internacional is by far the quietest Royal. The pools are smaller, and the ocean there is very shallow and flat. It has lovely landscaping and a nice private mellow atmosphere.

PJ

I looked at Club Internacional de Cancun last week. Currently the "lovely landscaping" doesn't exist. The place is totally torn up outside. I talked with the foreman and he said there were 250 people at work in the place. They were all over just like ants. They plan on reopening before Christmas.

They also had all the furniture in the rooms piled up and covered with tarps. The rooms were being painted.

My comment, as a 1st 30 year owner, is that CIC is like being at a “Country Club” verses being at a “Hotel” in the other resorts (especially the Royal Sands).

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
PJ

I looked at Club Internacional de Cancun last week. Currently the "lovely landscaping" doesn't exist. The place is totally torn up outside. I talked with the foreman and he said there were 250 people at work in the place. They were all over just like ants. They plan on reopening before Christmas.

They also had all the furniture in the rooms piled up and covered with tarps. The rooms were being painted.

My comment, as a 1st 30 year owner, is that CIC is like being at a “Country Club” verses being at a “Hotel” in the other resorts (especially the Royal Sands).

Yikes! It does show the the Royals are committed to maintenance and renovation, rather than just letting it look its age. Fortunately, the plants grow quickly.

I agree with your "country club" for the CIC and "hotel" for the Sands, but really I never feel like I'm at a hotel at the Tris. Maybe that's because we see many of the same staff and owners there each year, and really do feel at home. We bought at the RC pre-construction, in 1988 or maybe 89, and are just so comfortable there as opposed to the impersonal feel of even a very nice hotel.

PJ

tug15

Reaction score
Club International????More of a beach???????

The Royals consistently seem to get great reviews...Concern though is that many say there are big boulders/rocks by the beach at times making it difficult to swim...

Is the beach at Club International and the water calmer? Many also have said that the Royals are great, but there are red flags out alot????

Much thanks!!!!!!!:hi: :hi: :hi:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Royals consistently seem to get great reviews...Concern though is that many say there are big boulders/rocks by the beach at times making it difficult to swim...

Is the beach at Club International and the water calmer? Many also have said that the Royals are great, but there are red flags out alot????

Much thanks!!!!!!!:hi: :hi: :hi:

The beach at CIC is completely different. There was no hurricane damage. The sand is soft, and there are no rocks.

The water is more than calm, it is flat. It is also very shallow, and because it is so calm there is short sea grass growing in some areas.

It's a great beach for little kids, and very peaceful for adults. You can wade waaay out, and then swim in a very flat ocean, but if you like the feel and look of waves, there are none.

At the other Royals, all (except for a few at the Mayans) of the villas have a view of the ocean, while at CIC many (most?) villas do not. At the other Royals you have the sound of the waves.

At the other Royals you can enter the water between the rocks. We like to mostly stand up and try to jump over the waves, swimming a bit in between big waves.

If you look at a map of Cancun you will see it's shaped like the number 7. CIC is on the north shore - the top of the 7. The whole beach along that stretch is pretty much the same. The other Royals are on the east-facing shore, the leg of the 7. Everything along there is pretty much the same, regardless of resort. It's a matter of geography rather than the specific resort.

jschmidt

Reaction score
I observed that when the wind was out of the North or South, sand was being trapped by the rocks and thus the rocks were being covered. When the wind was out of the West the sand was washed away and the rocks were more exposed. An East wind had no effect. If it weren’t for the rocks, the water would be up to the wall.

jackie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Club Internactional de Cancum is June. Has the place been
remodeled? Is June too hot? Is the beach nice?

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Club Internactional de Cancum is June. Has the place been
remodeled? Is June too hot? Is the beach nice?

It is in the process of being remodeled, and will be done soon, long before June.

Yes, it's hot, but with palm trees, breezes, air conditioning, pools, and the ocean, it should be ok. We go every June and just jump in the water or head for the shade.

Re the beach, see my post a few up - depends on what you are looking for. Flat, calm, shallow, and soft sand - but almost no waves or surf sound.

quezsmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Royal Mayan

We just got back 2 weeks ago and our sales rep told us that they had a meeting and were told that the Royal Mayan will be SOLD after it's time is up. They are not going through the hassles of re-selling. Apparently it was a huge undertaking with Club International and very costly.