• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SurfWatch 3 BR or Grande Ocean 2 BR?

spookykennedy

Reaction score
First time to HHI and we were excited to receive an exchange for a 3BR SurfWatch but then today received one for a 2BR Grande Ocean. Now I am torn. Which resort is better overall with 2 teens? It seems GO is maybe closer distance for walking to shops and restaurants but we plan to rent bikes either way. Does one have better pools or activities?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
My teens love Grande Ocean. The car pass into Sea pines is a bonus when you stay at Grande Ocean.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I've stayed at both with my kids and grandkids. If you got a 3 bedroom, I wouldn't hesitate to take it at Surfwatch. The bike riding anywhere in HH is great and SW has easy rentals on the premises as does GO.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
GO is a much better location, close enough to Coligny square for teens to shop/coffee, etc., plus right at the back gate to Sea Pines with some of the best bike riding and the shops of HabourTown. SW has very nice onsite facilities and you can still bike ride, but much farther from shopping/hanging out places. If a 2BR will work, I'd stay at GO. If 3BR (space for teens, no one on pull-out) will make your stay better, then SW is perfectly fine. Both are great properties.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We actually prefer Surfwatch for the overall resort facilities and its location further North on the Island. If you plan to basically stay on the resort and use the local restaurants then GO is great. However, if you plan to visit Savannah, Blufton, the outlet miles and nature preserves, Surfwatch location reduces the drive time substantially, unless you choose to pay the toll on the cross island tollway. Surfwatch is newer and has a better equipped fitness center and there are several restaurants and shopping facilities within a short drive. Either resort is great, but I would take the 3BR with 2 teens so they each have their own place and you will have total access to the living room area.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Grande Ocean is a no brainer with teens. 10-15 restaurants in walking distance. Five minutes to Harris Teeter and Publix. Access to Seapines. If you just want to hang out at the resort, then I may consider SW. If you could use the third BR, SW is better. You will be happy with either for sure. Superchief's comment about being closer to the bridge is really a little misleading. The cross island parkway toll road really makes it about even and it's $1.25 and well worth it to me. GO is definitely farther from things like Shelter Cove and restaurants like Hudson's and the Boathouse (both of which are worth going to). SW is by the airport if you are flying in.

gsb

Reaction score
Both are great resorts. Grande Ocean is in a great location, but you will contend with far more traffic and crowding. If social distancing is a factor for you this summer my experience is that the beach between Grande Ocean and Coligny is much more crowded than in front of Surf Watch. bike paths at that end of the island are also going to be busier. That’s the trade off for more shopping and restaurants.

My family will be in the island in a couple weeks and we have them at Grande Ocean because we own there but the 3 BR Surf Watch would be tempting.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Both resorts are outstandng.

The three (3) bedrooms at SurfWach are really nice. Each teen could have their bedroom, their own bathroom and their own television.

Please check each resort floor plan, each resort map and each resort on site
activities and amenities.

You will not be disappointed with either resort. IMO.
Please enjoy the Island.

spookykennedy

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input. We are actually now considering using both weeks because they line up with a 1 day overlap. DH and I can work from anywhere so we figure we may as well stay if we can get good flights!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, it's a nice problem. If it's 4 people with 2 teens, I'd chose GO over SW but if the extra space added much benefit, I wouldn't hesitate using SW instead. Overall I think most prefer GO over SW because of it's location in general and it's proximity to the beach but there are those that have the reverse preference as well.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input. We are actually now considering using both weeks because they line up with a 1 day overlap. DH and I can work from anywhere so we figure we may as well stay if we can get good flights!
No brainer then, try out both and enjoy the island.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going for location, restaurants, Sea Pine Bike Trails and other activity hands down.
I would pick GO.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
No brainer then, try out both and enjoy the island.
If you exchange to both resorts . The second week resort will call you to let you know; when your family can check in. You will be allowed to stay in the first resort; until your villa is ready. That is great IMO.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you exchange to both resorts . The second week resort will call you to let you know; when your family can check in. You will be allowed to stay in the first resort; until your villa is ready. That is great IMO.
It is a nice benefit though in this situation it doesn't sound like it applies since there is a 1 day overlap. Aruba does this as well, not sure about other locations. They expect you to have everything ready and if they are moving it for you, have it sitting by the door.

spookykennedy

Reaction score
It is a nice benefit though in this situation it doesn't sound like it applies since there is a 1 day overlap. Aruba does this as well, not sure about other locations. They expect you to have everything ready and if they are moving it for you, have it sitting by the door.
We are excited to have a one day overlap so we can move our food and items at our leisure. We know this may never work out like this again!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are excited to have a one day overlap so we can move our food and items at our leisure. We know this may never work out like this again!
It is a great benefit but maybe a little less in HHI than for other places due to the option noted above. We've had this situation a number of times usually in Orlando, mostly at DVC and it can be very helpful. The reverse is a pain, have a day or 2 where you're orphaned and having to work out a bridge strategy.

spookykennedy

Reaction score
It is a great benefit but maybe a little less in HHI than for other places due to the option noted above. We've had this situation a number of times usually in Orlando, mostly at DVC and it can be very helpful. The reverse is a pain, have a day or 2 where you're orphaned and having to work out a bridge strategy.
We have had that at DVC too and it's painful. DH is almost willing to pay the extra night to avoid it at this point!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Overlap is helpful, but Marriott is concerned and therefore understanding----and has a better solution than losing a whole day.
The HH Marriott resorts are all awesome in this regard:
If you move from any property to another, you get late check-out and you don't have to leave the first resort
until your unit is ready at the second resort. We've done it many times.

They accomplish this by the late check-out already mentioned, coupled with a "priority" early cleaning and early unit readiness
at the second resort, so when you get the call on your cell, basically you drive from one directly to the other
and experience an expedited check-in, food and all.
It's really well-coordinated by both resorts who remain in communication, and I find the whole process quite thoughtful.

The key is letting the first resort know well before the day you check out.
They will initiate the communication with the second resort, and they take it from there, no hassle.

spookykennedy

Reaction score
Overlap is helpful, but Marriott is concerned and therefore understanding----and has a better solution than losing a whole day.
The HH Marriott resorts are all awesome in this regard:
If you move from any property to another, you get late check-out and you don't have to leave the first resort
until your unit is ready at the second resort. We've done it many times.

They accomplish this by the late check-out already mentioned, coupled with a "priority" early cleaning and early unit readiness
at the second resort, so when you get the call on your cell, basically you drive from one directly to the other
and experience an expedited check-in, food and all.
It's really well-coordinated by both resorts who remain in communication, and I find the whole process quite thoughtful.

The key is letting the first resort know well before the day you check out.
They will initiate the communication with the second resort, and they take it from there, no hassle.
This is really helpful to know, I have never heard of this until today.

Reactions: jme

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes jme, I wish other resorts in other places had this feature. I asked when I was at Palm Desert 3 months ago, as I had a reservation at Shadow Ridge and Palm Desert. I told them about Hilton Head and asked if they could do this. Nope. I said they should look into it. Who knows if they will. It's only a couple miles between the resorts there!

Reactions: jme