• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Super Shuttle Closure

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We are sorry to see that Super Shuttle will cease operations at the end of the year. Our flights to Hawaii are always at about 8:30am, and we felt we couldn't trust Uber to be available to pick us up at 5:30, so always booked SS. Once all the uproar started at LAX last month about having to take a bus or walk to a remote location to catch Uber/Lyft, we thought good thing we take Super Shuttle home from most trips where we can still catch a ride at a curb outside the terminal. But I guess not. Article in LATimes mentioned drivers who owned their own vans and were still making payments on them, that's got to be hard.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Uber/Lyft convenience is why Super Shuttle revenue has declined... I remember catching SS as a college student but those days are long gone.

Your bio says San Pedro which IIRC is near Long Beach. I doubt you will have issues catching an Uber at 5:30AM in that area -- you may want to provide more buffer for unexpected issues but it shouldn't be a problem. I live in a suburb of the Bay Area and take 4:30AM Ubers all the time -- IMHO if you live near a major city, it shouldn't be a problem.

On the other hand, the long walk to the remote lot... that sucks. Luckily at SFO I can still walk over to the international term and catch curbside; domestic has routed all UberX pickups to the top of the parking garage which seems to be the trend at major airports.

-ryan

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Our last Super Shuttle ride was our last. Because of where we live, we were always one of the last (if not the last) people to be dropped off. We arrived at the airport at 11:30pm. The driver waited for others to walk up until the van was full, so we didn't leave the airport until almost 12:15am. We were of course the last to be dropped off at 1:30am. Never again. Even though I don't like getting into a strangers car (we've had some doozy Uber drivers), I'll roll the dice.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our last Super Shuttle ride was our last. Because of where we live, we were always one of the last (if not the last) people to be dropped off. We arrived at the airport at 11:30pm. The driver waited for others to walk up until the van was full, so we didn't leave the airport until almost 12:15am. We were of course the last to be dropped off at 1:30am. Never again. Even though I don't like getting into a strangers car (we've had some doozy Uber drivers), I'll roll the dice.
We never use the shared ride option. We book it as dedicated for us only. They have always been early in picking us and showed up quickly to drive us home.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Sorry to see them go.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We never use the shared ride option. We book it as dedicated for us only. They have always been early in picking us and showed up quickly to drive us home.
We have neighbors who just hire a town car to and from the airport. They always call it "black car" but I'm not sure if that is the name of the business.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have neighbors who just hire a town car to and from the airport. They always call it "black car" but I'm not sure if that is the name of the business.
Thank you. We will need to start looking at something like this. We don't trust Lyft and UBER and we do not support their business model.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually take a town car. Licensed taxis are the same price as Uber for us to/from the airport however, so we would do that if necessary.

I'd rather take Uber/Lyft than share a super shuttle with other people going other places...

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
I have a round trip booked with the return in January. Their website has no info on what going on. I've found them reasonable, $20 from midtown NYC to airport is pretty good. I don't like taking big luggage on subway

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually take a town car. Licensed taxis are the same price as Uber for us to/from the airport however, so we would do that if necessary.

I'd rather take Uber/Lyft than share a super shuttle with other people going other places...
We never ever use share ride option with Super Shuttle, and we only book dedicated ride. They are the best. We will look into town car option at the airport site.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
That's a shame! I love Super Shuttle and refuse to use Uber/Lyft.

May I ask why? We began using Uber on some of our trips last year and, so far, we love it. It’s very convenient and at a reasonable cost. We haven’t used Lyft yet but I did notice on our trip last month to New Orleans, almost all the Uber drivers also were Lyft drivers. Although I haven’t looked into the details, I understand Uber has some corporate issues but most large corporations do. I’m just curious if you refuse to use them because of service problems, safety issues, business practices, all of the above, or something else entirely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I used to drive LYFT in Orlando, and I rode a couple times to/from LAX. All the passengers I picked up with LYFT said they trust us more, especially since UBER was always in the news (negative). I'm sure you can do it with UBER, but with LYFT, you can arrange a ride at a certain time. Like, if you want LYFT to pick you up at 4am to take you to the airport, put it in the app. The request goes to us as soon as you put it in, and whomever wants to take you will get it. I suggest do it before you turn in for the night, that way someone will take you.

TS

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm confused by this post. Saw it yesterday -- googled Super Shuttle -- no news. I still don't see anything. What's up?

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
May I ask why? We began using Uber on some of our trips last year and, so far, we love it. It’s very convenient and at a reasonable cost. We haven’t used Lyft yet but I did notice on our trip last month to New Orleans, almost all the Uber drivers also were Lyft drivers. Although I haven’t looked into the details, I understand Uber has some corporate issues but most large corporations do. I’m just curious if you refuse to use them because of service problems, safety issues, business practices, all of the above, or something else entirely.

Several reasons. The first time I *tried* to use them was at SEATAC . . . epic fail (no show by the driver) so I was left scrambling and running late to catch a flight.

Most important reason, however, is that I am more often than not traveling alone and I simply do not feel comfortable getting into a car with a stranger like that. You may say cabbies are also strangers (unknown to me) but they are reliable and regulated, with licensing in most (if not all) US cities/locations.

I have a friend who is a flight attendant. She used to use them, but she's stopped due to multiple issues in multiple cities with pricing, timeliness and reliability.

The little bit I might save (often for my employer) just isn't worth the hassle or risk.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I first used Super Shuttle, in San Francisco in the 1990s, they were fantastic.

I used them a few times over the years and then the last time was going from LaGuardia to Manhattan. That was awful. The van kept circling the terminals until absolutely every seat on the van was full and some of the luggage was squashed in where people's legs should have gone. That alone took hours. Then the routing was nuts, back and forth across Manhattan with a lot of zigzags and then long stops while the driver sorted out who was going where and whose luggage was whose. This was just slightly before the days of Uber. I figured that Super Shuttle might still be better at non-NYC airports.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Several reasons. The first time I *tried* to use them was at SEATAC . . . epic fail (no show by the driver) so I was left scrambling and running late to catch a flight.

Most important reason, however, is that I am more often than not traveling alone and I simply do not feel comfortable getting into a car with a stranger like that. You may say cabbies are also strangers (unknown to me) but they are reliable and regulated, with licensing in most (if not all) US cities/locations.

I have a friend who is a flight attendant. She used to use them, but she's stopped due to multiple issues in multiple cities with pricing, timeliness and reliability.

The little bit I might save (often for my employer) just isn't worth the hassle or risk.

That’s perfectly understandable. We’ve never used it when traveling alone, only when 2 or 3 of us are together. They’ve always been quick to pick us up, also, usually just a couple minutes.

Thanks for responding and safe travels!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We will be sad to see them go. We learned of this while on our cruise last week and some in our party had a reservation for transfers from the Miami cruise terminal to FLL with SuperShuttle after we got off the ship. Quite often you will just year of a company like this shutting down overnight with no notice and travelers left stranded. So it is good that they gave some notice. The shuttle for those traveling with us showed up as expected, though the dispatcher gave DW the wrong vehicle number and said it would be a black Mercedes van. Though the subsequent txt message had a different number and the van that showed up was the traditional blue and yellow.

We have used SuperShuttle a lot over the years, almost exclusively for private transportation except once from Manhattan to JFK where we booked shared. My wife and I don't have smartphones, so Uber and Lyft isn't really a good option for us. What we save on a cell phone bill more than makes up for the more money we pay to book transportation the few times that we need it. Finding a replacement will be tough.

Reaction score
I have a friend who drove for SS in Orlando for a little bit. They are a lot like a taxi, drivers rent their vans for around $800/week, not including fuel. If they don't make over $800 that week, they lose money. So, drivers who can't afford to rent the van don't work. SS van sits idle, so they lose $$$.

TS