• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Super High Cost Properties

loafingcactus

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I've seen an ad around for Grand Waikkian penthouse 3B Christmas week for like a quarter million dollars. Really? Is this one ad by a psycho person that is being replicated around, or do people really pay that much? I just can't see how it could possibly be worth that much to anyone...

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
This is from their solicitation: Prices of weeks range from $10,990 to $278,700. Prices subject to change.

I would imagine the high end is those 3br penthouses.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
This is from their solicitation: Prices of weeks range from $10,990 to $278,700. Prices subject to change.

I would imagine the high end is those 3br penthouses.

Woo Hoo!! My 3BR MOC units look like bargains!!!.........:ponder:.........:doh:

Just kidding...I love my MOC units.....but $250K for one week? That's nuts.

loafingcactus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the article.

And really, looking at the math on the points totals for those penthouses, it's not sooooo insane... But I can't imagine spending that many points on just on week!

I'd really like to see one of those penthouses, just to see...

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the article.

And really, looking at the math on the points totals for those penthouses, it's not sooooo insane... But I can't imagine spending that many points on just on week!

I'd really like to see one of those penthouses, just to see...

I have stayed in a 2 br penthouse there when we were bumped from the Lagoon Tower ph.

No doubt they are really very delux, but I still prefer the Lagoon Tower because it sits right on the beach. :)

jestme

Reaction score
I'm certainly not trying to justify the cost at all, because it is nuts, but that $250K gets you 28,750 points, and one maintenance fee. If you owned 3 separate 8400 point Lagoon packages, you would have 3 MF's. So, trading them in for 1 28,750 point package would save about $1500 / year in MF's for 3500 more points.

loafingcactus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ummm... Tell more please! What made them lux? How fancy is this bath?

Adrienne

TUG Member
Reaction score
What we're forgetting is that anyone who can afford 250K for one prime week can afford it.
Perhaps they see it as a better investment than the US stock market. Perhaps they see it as an investment for their great-grandchildren. Perhaps they say "Screw it, let's take a nice vacation every year."

Ticket price is relative. It's not necessarily a reflection on the value.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
For that kind of $$, I'd rather...
-- buy a house in the mountains; or
-- a condo on the beach; or
-- a two-masted schooner...

But then, whoever would spend that $$ on a TS might have all those things, already.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I was just noodling around on a Hyatt TS site, looking at recent resale prices and Hyatt Grand Aspen was similarly crazy- something like $150,000-$200,000 for a 2BR RESALE recently (within the past year). That is a fractional, so at least the buyer gets multiple weeks, but still, who would but that?!!!

H

Adrienne

TUG Member
Reaction score
But then, whoever would spend that $$ on a TS might have all those things, already.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Or maybe he simply wants to vacation without the headache of responsibility. I own one week at Kingsland and my purchase was justified in this one little scene: Friends came over, used the facilities, and said, "Your toilet's broken."
I yawned and said, "Call maintenance," then took another sip of my Mai Tai.

Heck, if I win the CA lotto next weekend, I'll buy another 51 weeks at and would be moved in by Wednesday.

Aptman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that someone who just spent $250k on a week in Hawaii probably isn't too concerned with whether they have to pay $1,500 per year in MF or $3,000 per year.

It's like going in to the Ferrari dealership and asking the price - if you have to ask, you can't afford it. These are not things for TUG'ers who are out there trying to save a dime wherever they can.

I'm certainly not trying to justify the cost at all, because it is nuts, but that $250K gets you 28,750 points, and one maintenance fee. If you owned 3 separate 8400 point Lagoon packages, you would have 3 MF's. So, trading them in for 1 28,750 point package would save about $1500 / year in MF's for 3500 more points.

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lets not assume it is a person but a business entity. Think Japan. A get away for executives at buiness expense. It could be just the points to allow multiple employes during the year get a week in sunny Hawaii.:ponder:

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just noodling around on a Hyatt TS site, looking at recent resale prices and Hyatt Grand Aspen was similarly crazy- something like $150,000-$200,000 for a 2BR RESALE recently (within the past year). That is a fractional, so at least the buyer gets multiple weeks, but still, who would but that?!!!

H

When I was at Grand Aspen 2 years ago, the sales person tried to explain that owning TS at grand aspen is much less expensive than buying a ski house as a second home or vacation home.
For fixed ski week, it was over $250k and MF was very expensive (I cannot remember the exact amount, but it was over 3k).
Since then, I am checking resale prices of GA, and I have never seen anything for my budget :)

Last edited: