• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Summit area of Mauna Loa volcano closed because of increased seismic activity

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Really interesting. They say there is no sign of imminent eruption, but an earlier article I read said this increase in earthquakes led to the previous eruption awhile later. They've increased over the Summer to as many as 100 earthquakes a day. Sure sounds to me like Pele is getting ready to do something. This will bear watching.

Dave

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 18 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Really interesting. They say there is no sign of imminent eruption, but an earlier article I read said this increase in earthquakes led to the previous eruption awhile later. They've increased over the Summer to as many as 100 earthquakes a day. Sure sounds to me like Pele is getting ready to do something. This will bear watching.

Dave

I heard this on the news last week. It was like they were going out of their way to say something is going to happen, without saying something is going to happen. :D

That's certainly a lot of activity and something to keep a close eye on.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I heard this on the news last week. It was like they were going out of their way to say something is going to happen, without saying something is going to happen. :D

If they promise an eruption is coming "any day now," they will lose the public's trust. The average person expects scientists to be infallible. If a prediction doesn't come true, they will then gainsay everything they hear in perpetuity.

See the Covid forum for examples of this.

As for an actual eruption -- find a spinner from a game of "Twister." That's where the lava will flow. Mauna Loa has always been the most unpredictable in this regard. Last time it headed in the direction of Hilo. This time? Could be Kailua or Captain Cook or Oceanview.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 18 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
This was just on the news today.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
We are going to be on the Big Island next month and have a couple of nights planned in the Volcano House, so will be following this news closely. I think the hotel itself is in a location that should be safe due to topography, but I suppose an eruption that goes in the "wrong" direction might cut off road access from one direction or the other. An eruption would be exciting to see but I'm not sure I need that kind of excitement, lol...

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are going to be on the Big Island next month and have a couple of nights planned in the Volcano House, so will be following this news closely. I think the hotel itself is in a location that should be safe due to topography, but I suppose an eruption that goes in the "wrong" direction might cut off road access from one direction or the other. An eruption would be exciting to see but I'm not sure I need that kind of excitement, lol...

We are going in May and I'll be watching for updates. :D

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Mauna Loa is (as the crow flies) about 20 miles from Kilauea. Because of the mountains and valleys, by car it is 72 miles. So, I think that you're pretty safe

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The figure below shows that general "footprint" of each of the five volcanoes on the Big Island. (Kohala, Mauna Kea, Hualalai, Mauna Loa, and Kilauea). If Mauna Loa erupts, the lava flow will be within the areas outlined for ML. Hawaii volcanoes have fracture zones that extend radially downward from the summit, and eruptions occur along the fracture zone. Chain of Craters Road in Volcanoes NP generally follows the SE fracture zone of Kilauea - the chain of craters are the craters that have formed along the fracture zone.

Generally, when a volcano moves in an eruptive phase while the volcano is still in its active building stage (as Mauna Loa is), when there is activity at the summit there will be activity along a rift zone. There can also be activity along a rift zone without activity at the summit. If ML activity is on the eastern rift zone, it's most likely the flow will move toward Hilo. Note how Mauna Kea and Kilauea has pinched down the eastern flank of ML, which would funnel east flank flows toward Hilo. Similarly, to the northwest, Hualalai will funnel lava flows to the northwest toward the coastal areas north of Kona.

1665642165970.png

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This one was just released. Even with the increased seismic activity, it is currently about 4 times less than the last time it erupted.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The figure below shows that general "footprint" of each of the five volcanoes on the Big Island. (Kohala, Mauna Kea, Hualalai, Mauna Loa, and Kilauea). If Mauna Loa erupts, the lava flow will be within the areas outlined for ML. Hawaii volcanoes have fracture zones that extend radially downward from the summit, and eruptions occur along the fracture zone. Chain of Craters Road in Volcanoes NP generally follows the SE fracture zone of Kilauea - the chain of craters are the craters that have formed along the fracture zone.

Generally, when a volcano moves in an eruptive phase while the volcano is still in its active building stage (as Mauna Loa is), when there is activity at the summit there will be activity along a rift zone. There can also be activity along a rift zone without activity at the summit. If ML activity is on the eastern rift zone, it's most likely the flow will move toward Hilo. Note how Mauna Kea and Kilauea has pinched down the eastern flank of ML, which would funnel east flank flows toward Hilo. Similarly, to the northwest, Hualalai will funnel lava flows to the northwest toward the coastal areas north of Kona.

View attachment 66456

In 1984 it went towards Hilo. The last Southwest flow was 1950.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Nope -- it was a double. They just updated it. In addition, there were five more minor quakes. I felt a couple of those, too.

You have to give USGS time to process the data.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This shows 5 today from 5am to 9:30am

1665776413252.png

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
I like this simple graphic showing the location of the Big Island volcanoes:

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 1.17.19 PM.png

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score

View attachment 66456
Just to keep everybody happy, the northwest lava flow funnels into waikioloa. . .

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So what's the current consensus? Is Mauna Loa getting ready to erupt?

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
The definitive answer is: They don't know! :hi:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
So what's the current consensus? Is Mauna Loa getting ready to erupt?

The USGS won't make that call unless they're certain. Things are "elevated" right now. Yellow-alert. And the usual, "It's always good to have a plan, and a go-bag."

It hasn't erupted since 1984 -- the longest it's gone since we started recording eruptions. I am absolutely not saying that it is "due" to erupt. That's superstitious nonsense. Signs currently point to higher chances of an eruption in the near future. And if that happens, spin the Twister spinner, because Mauna Loa is the least-predictable when it comes to lava flow.