• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Suggestions for Williamsburg, VA

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for just a relaxing ride I strongly recommend the ferry to Surrey. It's free, loads right outside of Jametown, and is a fine 20 minute or so ride across the river. While on the Surrey side of the river you can tour Bacon's Castle - it's an old plantation and is pretty interesting. The Surrey side of the river is a different world than the Williamsburg side - much less travelled and hardly developed. If you are into biking, one of my best days was biking from Greenspring to the ferry and then up to Surrey for lunch.
I like your suggestion. As much as Surry is a word away, so is Charles City which you get to on route 5 traveling across the Chickahominy River. Very rural, plantations, etc.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Biking from the Greenspring Resort to the Jamestown-Scotland ferry is a good distance; unless you are in good physical shape. IMHO. The average day temperature in Williamsburg last month were in the nineties (90) degrees range , with humidity temperatures ranging in the 100 degrees range most days.

It is about seven (7) to eight (8) miles to the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry one way.
IMHO.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
I ride the Jamestown Surry ferry several times a month - fun and free.
The Jamestown Island loop, Capital Trail and historic Colonial Williamsburg are nice places to ebike

travelgirl8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Tuggers!
Well, we are off to Williamsburg again! Loved our trip last time. We used so many of your suggestions and had a great time. We did the tour of the battlefield, went to Yorktown, Fort Monroe, spent time in Williamsburg and ate at great places. It is a traffic nightmare getting there from NY, but the history and sights can't be beat. Would love it if you have any updates to add. Williamsburg has so many interesting spots. Any recommendations appreciated!!!

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Hi Tuggers!
Well, we are off to Williamsburg again! Loved our trip last time. We used so many of your suggestions and had a great time. We did the tour of the battlefield, went to Yorktown, Fort Monroe, spent time in Williamsburg and ate at great places. It is a traffic nightmare getting there from NY, but the history and sights can't be beat. Would love it if you have any updates to add. Williamsburg has so many interesting spots. Any recommendations appreciated!!!

We love touring the historic homes and properties around Williamsburg, and these are reasonable drives and well worth it:
Monticello in Charlottesville VA (2 hours), Berkeley Plantation (45 min), Shirley Plantation (45 min).
Monticello is so great that we've returned several times.
We also like dining in the various Colonial Williamsburg Taverns....the food is good, can be on the expensive side, but getting the feeling "for the times"
is wonderful. Christiana Campbell's is best, followed by King's Arms Tavern. There are a couple more.
Other regular restaurants outside Colonial Wmsbg that are GREAT: Cochon, Fat Canary, Opus 9, 2nd Street American Bistro.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Information only,The Chef Kitchen restaurant is closed. The Chef passed away last year and will not reopen.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it better to travel from NY to Williamsburg on a Sunday or Monday?
Monday.

Also, you have to avoid 95 from about 10 miles north to 10 miles south of Fredericksburg every weekday from about 1-7. You have to avoid it on weekends entirely. There is no way to get around it once you've committed to 95 south from 495. No knowing what part of NY you are talking about, I'll give two options. From points east, take 95 to 495 and get off at one of the last exits in Maryland and take Indian Head Highway (210), to 225 to La Plata onto 301, and take the Potomac River Bridge (toll) to Virginia. Follow 301 and either get on 95 via 207 (Bowling Green) or take it all the way to 295.

If you are coming west of Harrisburg, PA you should get to route 15 somewhere near Frederick, MD or Leesburg, VA or Warrenton, VA and then catch 29 to Charlottesville where you can hit 64 straight to Williamsburg. It sounds crazy, and it's 45 minutes out of the way, but the roads are mostly 55 mph and you won't sit in traffic for an hour on 95.

travelgirl8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the driving, sites to see and restaurants. Well, it going to be a Sunday drive from Long Island. Was able to get an extra day so booked it. I'll plug those driving
Directions into mu GPS and hope for the best. We are planning to leave early, but don't know if that will help. Last time we ate at the Blue Talon which was lovely. Missed the Second Street Bestro because it was closed the day we had open. This time put Pearl on the list. Big Matt recommended it in a post above. Also want to try Marty's restaurant pics. They are always so top notch. Thinking of doing a boat cruise but the one recommended above was sold. I agree Monticello is beautiful and well worth the trip. Any other ideas bring them on!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Busch Gardens and Water Country USA, are offering park admissions discounts prices.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the driving, sites to see and restaurants. Well, it going to be a Sunday drive from Long Island. Was able to get an extra day so booked it. I'll plug those driving
Directions into mu GPS and hope for the best. We are planning to leave early, but don't know if that will help. Last time we ate at the Blue Talon which was lovely. Missed the Second Street Bestro because it was closed the day we had open. This time put Pearl on the list. Big Matt recommended it in a post above. Also want to try Marty's restaurant pics. They are always so top notch. Thinking of doing a boat cruise but the one recommended above was sold. I agree Monticello is beautiful and well worth the trip. Any other ideas bring them on!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
When you get to 495 in DC take it east/south and follow the directions I gave you taking you through La Plata, MD. You will miss the 95 nightmare. I just did it last weekend and things were fine. Try DOG (Duke of Glouchester) Street Pub. It's a restaurant owned by the guy who owns Blue Talon. Upscale pub food. The brat burger is pretty darn good.