• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Suggestions for Williamsburg, VA

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are headed to Williamsburg June 12-19th. We are looking for suggestions for places to eat, prefer moderately priced. Wondering where the locals go?

We plan to visit Colonial Williamsburg and the Jamestown settlement. Any advice? Other places to visit?

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
T
We are headed to Williamsburg June 12-19th. We are looking for suggestions for places to eat, prefer moderately priced. Wondering where the locals go?

We plan to visit Colonial Williamsburg and the Jamestown settlement. Any advice? Other places to visit?
[/QUOTE

Take a peek at some of the inns with traditional foods. Reservations needed !! Nice atmosphere.
also look at LA Tienda, Spanish tapas. Great catalogue.

jonmaiman

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been a few years since we last went. With that disclaimer, another vote for Food for Thought.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our daughter lives there, and we have a second home there. In order of favor: Food for Thought, Second St. Bistro, Oceans & Ale (beer selection) and Craft 31 (beer selection). I would make reservations at all of them as the waits can be long. Food for Thought is our favorite by far. Howard, the owner, may stop by to chat, and the walls are filled with different cerebral passages. Fun to read. A good breakfast choice is Astronomical Pancakes, although they get crowded and don't take reservations. If you just want to sit around and snack, Aleworks is the local brewing favorite, and usually has a great food truck on the weekends. Check their website.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with Pedro's list. I'll add:

Whaling Company
Cheese Shop (sandwiches)
DOG Street Pub
Pauls Deli (Newtown)
Pierces BBQ
Fat Tuna Grill
Giuseppi's
Berrett's Seafood for outdoor seating, a beer, and oysters
Colonial Pancake House
Aromas

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the wonderful restaurant recommendations! I'll make some reservations.
We are hoping for some pleasant weather next week in Williamsburg.
If we should decide to go to the beach, where would you suggest?

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the wonderful restaurant recommendations! I'll make some reservations.
We are hoping for some pleasant weather next week in Williamsburg.
If we should decide to go to the beach, where would you suggest?

The closest beach, as far as I know, is Virginia Beach, about an hour away.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I meant to add that we really like the behind-the-scenes walks at Colonial Williamsburg. You need to get tickets at a certain level and then make reservations for these. There's one that looks at the horses and barns, one that goes to an archaeology lab, one that explores the historic school, and I think one more.

The programs where they talk about the rare animal breeding programs are also really interesting. Those are usually held outdoors and you don't need special tickets, you just show up.

Indoors at the art museum, we once saw a great program about Civil War photography. Just once, though, in all the times we were there. Free with admission to the (beautifully air-conditioned) art museum.

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I meant to add that we really like the behind-the-scenes walks at Colonial Williamsburg. You need to get tickets at a certain level and then make reservations for these. There's one that looks at the horses and barns, one that goes to an archaeology lab, one that explores the historic school, and I think one more.

The programs where they talk about the rare animal breeding programs are also really interesting. Those are usually held outdoors and you don't need special tickets, you just show up.

Indoors at the art museum, we once saw a great program about Civil War photography. Just once, though, in all the times we were there. Free with admission to the (beautifully air-conditioned) art museum.
We'll check out the behind the scene programs. There is so much to do at CW...we may just get season tickets.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll check out the behind the scene programs. There is so much to do at CW...we may just get season tickets.

We usually do. It ends up being pretty affordable and then we don't have to worry about which programs we can or can't attend.

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually do. It ends up being pretty affordable and then we don't have to worry about which programs we can or can't attend.
That's what I'm thinking. We could come back next May or early June. Timeshares at Williamsburg are plentiful.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking. We could come back next May or early June. Timeshares at Williamsburg are plentiful.

We have very occasionally managed to make two trips in a year! April is very nice there. We've been there for Christmas week, too.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
We liked Food for Thought, Aberdeen Barn,and Sal‘s by Victor Italian restaurant.

We like Sal's as well .... but I would recommend ordering a family meal from there and picking it up versus eating in the restaurant. We have done it both ways but like the meal takeout best and it offers more value as well.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We like Sal's as well .... but I would recommend ordering a family meal from there and picking it up versus eating in the restaurant. We have done it both ways but like the meal takeout best and it offers more value as well.
Outstanding suggestion. I also liked Sal’s super sub toasted. It is excellent.IMHO.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Check to see if places have coupons! I know Colonial Pancake House has 10 percent off online coupons.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You may also want to visit:
1) Yorktown Riverwalk Landing (free boardwalk)
2) Yorktown Beach (it's going to be hot),
3) American Victory Monument (free),
4) Cornwalis Cave (free, Cornwallis' Cave - Virginia Sportsman (thevirginiasportsman.com) ),
5) Redoubt 10 (free, where Hamilton, Lafayette, and Laurens charged the British at night with their bayonets), and
6) American Revolution Center/Museum ($20?)

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The closest beach, as far as I know, is Virginia Beach, about an hour away.
Nope, Yorktown Beach (smallish) is closer. When we were there three weeks ago, there were two weddings, one engagement party, and a prom going on in Yorktown. Guess folks were tired of the pandemic.

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great suggestions! Looks like we'll have plenty to do!
The six Yorktown sites I pointed out are all within five miles of each other. You may want to visit Redoubt 11 as well.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Goldi if you, your SO, or your kids want to get into the Yorktown/Hamilton mood: 70th Annual Tony Awards 'Hamilton' - YouTube

The Yorktown chapter is inaccurate on three matters. First, Laurens was NOT "in South Carolina, redefining bravery. We won't rest until we end slavery." Laurens was with Hamilton at Yorktown and also attacked Redoubt 10. Second, Lafayette was NOT "there waiting in Chesapeake Bay." Admiral French Admiral de Grasse was. Lafayette was also with Hamilton at Yorktown and attacked Redoubt 11. Third, the battle took three weeks, not one week. I don't know why Lin Miranda artistically changed Laurens and Lafayette to be away from Hamilton during Yorktown.

Last edited:

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Goldi if you, your SO, or your kids want to get into the Yorktown/Hamilton mood: 70th Annual Tony Awards 'Hamilton' - YouTube

The Yorktown part is inaccurate on three matters. First, Laurens was NOT "in South Carolina, redefining bravery. We won't rest until we end slavery." Laurens was with Hamilton at Yorktown. Second, Lafayette was NOT "waiting in Chesapeake Bay." Admiral French Admiral de Grasse was. Lafayette was also with Hamilton at Yorktown and attached Redoubt 11. Third, the battle took three weeks, not one week. I don't know why Lin Miranda artistically changed Laurens and Lafayette to be away from Hamilton during Yorktown.
Wow! Thank you for sending the YouTube link! So much to learn. I love history.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow! Thank you for sending the YouTube link! So much to learn. I love history.
Historical marker shows Hamilton, Lauren’s, and Lafayette were together at Yorktown.

Attachments

• 19C03C6D-D130-44A5-B7C1-47CF6209CD4D.jpeg
    19C03C6D-D130-44A5-B7C1-47CF6209CD4D.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 21