• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Suggestions for LA?

sammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be doing some business in LA and have a few day layover between trips. I thought I'd spend it in LA.

What are the best things to see and do? I'd enjoy seeing some Hollywood / Rodeo Drive type things as well as the major sights of the area.

What hotels have the best location to do so?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
On our last trip to the area in July we enjoyed attending the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. You need to request tickets through their website and get there early, but it's free and lots of fun.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Sheraton by Universal Studios is a pretty good location. It isn't too far from Hollywood or Beverly Hills.

Depending on your interests, there really is a lot to see in the LA area. La Brea Tar Pits are pretty cool - actual bubbling tar pits right in the middle of a big city.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Fabulous Cars On Display.

What are the best things to see and do?
Click here for the Peterson Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.

When you get hungry, you can get a snack at Johnny Rocket's right there in the car museum.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
In Hollywood:
Historic Theaters (Graumans Chinese, The Egyptian), Modern theaters with directors screenings (Arclight Hollywood), Hollywood Walk of Fame, Kodak Theater (new Cirque du Soleil show), Paramount Studio tour, La Brea Tar Pits, Petersen Automotive Museum, LACMA, Original Farmers Market, Runyon Canyon (hiking), Griffith Park (including the Griffith Park Observatory), Universal Studios, Jimmy Kimmel Live, the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, Hollywood Bowl, Greek Therater, Gibson Amphitheater,

Places to eat: 25 Degrees or Lucky Devils (burgers on Hollywood Blvd), The Griddle Cafe (enormous breakfasts), Pizzeria Mozza (best restaurant in the world right now in my opinion), Loteria Taco stand in the Original Farmers Market

Downtown LA has great sights, as does Santa Monica/Malibu and Bev Hills. If you have one day, I'd pick one area and stick to it.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, I like the tone of these posts... :)

A few years back, when someone asked about Los Angeles, they were basically given "why the heck would anyone want to visit LA?" response.

Even though I tried to defend visiting LA and the sites in and around LA (Hollywood, Universal, The Getty, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica etc...) it always seemed that everyone would try to direct the questioner to Orange County! :(

There is no doubt this big urban mass we call home here in Los Angeles metro can sometimes seem overwhelming, but it's still a great place to visit and see some amazing sites! :)

So, thanks everyone for such positive input regarding a visit to Los Angeles and not to the OC!!! :D

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The Sheraton by Universal Studios is a pretty good location. It isn't too far from Hollywood or Beverly Hills.

Depending on your interests, there really is a lot to see in the LA area. La Brea Tar Pits are pretty cool - actual bubbling tar pits right in the middle of a big city.

And the Tar Pits (which are pretty cool) are right next to the L.A. Art Museum. We used to go there quite a bit when I was a kid growing up.

As to where to stay, I kind of like Beverly Hills. Nice area, not terribly far from many of the places you'll want to see. We stayed at the Beverly Hilton a few years back and at the time the price wasn't outrageous.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just don't stay there tonight! Rumor has it Obama may be staying the night there tonight.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
In Santa Monica/Malibu/Bev Hills:

Beach, Santa Monica pier, bicycling along the oceanfront path down to Venice, Venice canals, Getty, Getty Villa, Abramson House, hiking in Topanga Canyon, Rodeo Drive, Wed and Sat Santa Monica Farmer's Markets, shopping, excellent eats and drinks

In Downtown LA:
LA Central Market, Olvera St, Cathedral of Los Angeles, Walt Disney Concert Hall, sporting events at Staples Center, LA Central Library, flower market, Angel's Flight, Bradbury Building, LA Live entertainment venue, Union Station, GREAT restaurants (world class) and bars. If you want to visit downtown LA, I will make specific recommendations.

Nearby interesting areas:
San Gabriel Valley (authentic chinese neighborhood)
Pasadena (Huntington Gardens, Norton Simon Museum, Gamble House, good shopping and dining).

Ricoba, I LOVE LA. It is scrappy yet fabulous. Always interesting. Totally awesome food town.

H

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Just got my new print copy of Nat Geo Traveller in the mail. There is an article on LA- the premise being that LA is best approached as a road trip, because with traffic it does not make sense to stay in one central location and then drive each day to various sites. The article is spot-on, even the restaurant reccs are excellent.

Here is a link to that article on-line: http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/road-trips/los-angeles/

H

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Santa Monica Bike Center offers Tours & rentals

In November 2011, Santa Monica opened it's Bike Center, a multi-use facility which was designed around bike commuters providing 350 secure indoor bike spaces, lockers and other facilities to supporting commuting by bike to the area.

The Bike Center however has been doing a booming business with tourists since it opened offering bike rentals, repairs and guided tours of the region. It's located at the corner of Colorado & 2nd street, a short walk from Santa Monica Pier and 3rd Street Promenade, all large frequently mentioned must do's for people visiting the area and offers a low cost way for you to explore the region without the issues of driving and parking in this dense area.

Keep it in mind should you visit the area. http://bikeandpark.com/city/santa-monica/ride-for-fun