• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Streamside Help/Advice

DJmonkey

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to this Marriott forum. I have done a little searching on Streamside.

My mom owns a Streamside Douglass unit (1bed). In her infinite wisdom she added me to the deed at some point long ago.

A year or 2 ago the dues went up and she wanted to dump the unit. She used to ski but no longer seems interested in using the TS.
I believe she has a fixed week (5) but it sounds like the consensus on the forum is these weeks are floating or flex weeks? I know she always books the 1st or 2nd week of February so I though that was the week she owned.
She purchased it in 1989 (so I think she got her monies worth before things went to hell in a hand basket) when I was in college in CO but I have since moved to CA.

Anyway I am trying to figure out what to do.
Sell it...no real value in it.
Use it...I don't really mind paying the MF and going skiing once a year but I feel I can stay in nicer places if given the option.
Deposit for hotel points...I am not sure this is the best use of the week(points)
Rent it...no clue what I can rent a ski week for. And if it covers the MF

However since I own a couple Starwood weeks (no offense:)) I don't really feel too inclined to keep the unit. Unfortunately I don't think there is really anyway to walk away from it as one or both of us will get hit with some lien for the MFs.

Any and All suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dump it as soon as you can and move along. If Marriott decides to leave the complex (as they already have with one of the buildings in the complex) then your resale value will be worth significantly less (also the trade value will diminish).

Just look what happened to the values of the units at Spicebush (at Hilton Head) when Marriott pulled out about 4 years ago. Down the tubes!

DJmonkey

Reaction score
Dump it as soon as you can and move along. If Marriott decides to leave the complex (as they already have with one of the buildings in the complex) then your resale value will be worth significantly less (also the trade value will diminish).

Just look what happened to the values of the units at Spicebush (at Hilton Head) when Marriott pulled out about 4 years ago. Down the tubes!

Not sure I can even dump it. That's the issue.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bet you could dump a ski week on Ebay. Isn't the special assessment about over or does it go on for another year or two? How much is the annual M&T and how much is the special assessment?

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you list in on ebay for a dollar, it's a ski week and will probably sell.

TomH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sold a Douglas 1 bedroom ski week 3 years ago for $8000. You could do better than $1.

Tom

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I sold a Douglas 1 bedroom ski week 3 years ago for $8000. You could do better than $1.

Tom

And I sold an Aspen 1 bedroom non-ski week about 3 years ago for $3,000. Listed it on ebay for a dollar and figured the market would decide what it was worth. But prices have declined significantly since then. So, listing it for a dollar doesn't mean it will sell for a dollar. But it will sell within about 10 percent of what it's worth.

sernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Non-Marriott ski week units at Streamside are having a difficult time on eBay, but the Marriott ski weeks at Streamside do sell. Find out what the closing costs will be (a company that handles closings in Vail like the Title Company of the Rockies will be able to tell you), then list it on eBay with the buyer paying costs.

Be sure to provide complete and accurate information on the listing (if in doubt find out). Nothing depresses the prices on these auctions like sloppy and inaccurate information.

KevinRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could put it on the Permanent Trade page

I have actually made a few trades there.... if you have another resort you are interested in, you might just get lucky....

Curious What the maint fees are too, you can email me those if you want.

sjcarpenter70

Reaction score
Streamside

Hello Everybody,

I am interested in week 52! Does anyone have any suggestions where i can find this?

Thanks!
Samantha:eek:

hot2trot

Reaction score
I would keep it and learn to use it. You have a ski week which has GREAT trading power! Very high demand for that property. Those are not "fixed" weeks, she may just be reserving the time that was assigned on the deed or when she like to go there. Pick a high demand week and reserve it and then either deposit it with II or do a request. If you know you won't use it then just deposit it, or you can rent it out using something like redweek.com.

Douglas building has about 3 different sizes so it depends on what you actually own. Not all weeks in the Douglas building come with Marriott points as Marriott came in when that building was almost sold out.

The reason the dues went up was there were some refurbishments that needed to be done and the reserves were not adequate. That place has problems which I won't bother to go into - LONG history. Feel free to call and talk to the General Manager there about the history, what's going on and what will happen in the future. They are usually very easy to reach and more than happy to talk to you.

Another reason for keeping it: as a Marriott owner you have priority when doing an exchange to another Marriott property. Try some of the other resorts, they are fantastic and with a ski week you could get just about anywhere!

Last edited:

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The M&T's at Streamside are so high that that project is virtually off limits to any would be buyers. Does anyone know how long the special assessments go on and what the M&T's will be for 1BR's and 2BR's once the SA's have ended?

npdick

Reaction score
Just Voted

When we bought in Douglas Building at Marriott Streamside in 2003 the maintenance fee was $750. Now, 5 years later the maintenance fee is $1568.28!! That's a 109% increase in 5 years, or 21.8% per year and is totally unacceptable to me no matter what the attempted justification. It boils down to poor management and Marriott is to blame. How did this happen? I thought I was buying into a good name. I guess I could say that I assumed that I was buying into a good name but you know what "assumed" means! In any case, Marriott and all of its commingled partners (Marriott Vacation Club International, Interval International, etc etc) offer absolutely no support to owners who want to sell. I have been on the "Registration Program" with MVCI since November 28, 2006. This is the list that MVCI keeps that includes owners who wish to sell. My recent call to them confirmed that I am still on "the list" but they can not (or will not) give me ANY information as to the number of people/units ahead of me, number of units that are being sold, nor any indication of when/if they will be able to help me sell my unit. VERY FRUSTRATING. Therefore, I am left with no option but to offer my unit for sale through Redweek.com, myresortnetwork.com, or eBay. It's not hard for me to justify why I voted the way I did--I am sorry that I ever bought into Marriott and I would never buy into Marriott again.

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we bought in Douglas Building at Marriott Streamside in 2003 the maintenance fee was $750. Now, 5 years later the maintenance fee is $1568.28!! That's a 109% increase in 5 years, or 21.8% per year and is totally unacceptable to me no matter what the attempted justification.

:eek: I had stopped paying attention to Streamside m/fs since we sold our 1BR Birch back in 2002 or 2003. Seeing this makes me feel super glad (yet at the same time I feel bad for the buyers of our week -- wonder if they still own it). That m/f is higher than the Hawaii weeks. Just crazy.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm confident Marriott will "dump" all of the Management of the Streamside properties once they can obtain a piece of land in the area and build their own MVCI resort from the ground up. A sales rep. led me to believe that they have been looking for a while.

For those that don't know, Marriott stepped into the Streamside property many years ago and actually finished one building (the other four were already constructed).

The Marriott Streamside resort has some of the lowest customer satisfaction reports in the MVCI system.

However, it is a GREAT place to go skiing.