• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Streaming was supposed to save us from cable hell - but now we're living in it again

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
We have 500 mpbs. Unlimited. We have Breezeline here in NH.

Our 2 phones are locked with straight talk. We just bought them this past fall for $149 each- iPhone SE’s. 10 GB

I don’t play around with switching when things work well. When Breezeline increases I call and then give me another “ deal”, but it’s still expensive. I have had them for a few years now and straight talk I’ve had like forever.
I generally agree with this, except if I feel like it's too expensive I also consider that not working well anymore.
The only downside to straight talk is when we go to Italy in the fall they do not have an international calling plan you can pay for while overseas if we have to make calls within Italy or Germany ( airport) or to call the USA.. Not sure how I will handle that yet.
If it was an Android phone I'd just get a local SIM while I was in international. They tend to be very inexpensive and you just swap SIMs in the phone. Maybe an iPhone can do this?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I generally agree with this, except if I feel like it's too expensive I also consider that not working well anymore.

If it was an Android phone I'd just get a local SIM while I was in international. They tend to be very inexpensive and you just swap SIMs in the phone. Maybe an iPhone can do this?

Not sure a different SIM card would work in a locked phone. Don’t know.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii

Considering how little a used unlocked phone (only a year or two old) and the right provider costs, it is very likely that this would save money in just one month. I have an unlocked phone and pay US Mobile $30-ish a month. And the only reason I do this is because my flip phone was rendered obsolete with the loss of 3G -- I was on one of those "your bill will never increase, ever" plans. Me and something like 500 other people nationwide.

Expensive phones and phone plans are like toilet paper made from curly maple -- what's the point?

Brett

Reaction score
Considering how little a used unlocked phone (only a year or two old) and the right provider costs, it is very likely that this would save money in just one month. I have an unlocked phone and pay US Mobile $30-ish a month. And the only reason I do this is because my flip phone was rendered obsolete with the loss of 3G -- I was on one of those "your bill will never increase, ever" plans. Me and something like 500 other people nationwide.

Expensive phones and phone plans are like toilet paper made from curly maple -- what's the point?

I agree - but I have a relatively new unlocked android phone

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

It’s not just that. We just bought these phones in the fall. They were inexpensive and just a few years old models.

Then it took a learning curve to use them, more especially for my husband who never had a smart phone. Then we had to deal with some glitches with the set up and deal with the foreign reps. I’m not going to start over again. These work for us. We have just one foreign trip planned and never any again after that. I’ll have to figure something out. Maybe WiFi calling? I also have this MOBAL international calling phone for years I only used in Scotland in 2012. Have to see if I can reactivate it again. Only pay for calls made. Not sure if can call the USA with it from overseas.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently, the SF Giants, and I suspect other teams as well, have started broadcasting their baseball games once a week or so on various subscription required streaming services. So to watch the games, you have to subscribe to multiple streaming services. I think that's bull-:poop:!
All MLB games are broadcast on the MLB app, you can pay an annual subscription. Every year, T-Mobile members can get that subscription free, so I have enjoyed all the MLB games free all year for the past 3-4 years. The catch is that in-market games are not shown live but the live radio broadcasts are available. So for example if you live in SF, you would not be able to watch the Giants games until after the game ends, then you can watch a rebroadcast.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I didn't think Straight Talk (any pre-paid plan actually) locked their phones. TIL. I'd advise in the future only buying unlocked phones. Then again, it seems from your other post you're actually happy with the service, phones, and price you're paying, so I'll bow out at this point trying to save you money.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
All MLB games are broadcast on the MLB app, you can pay an annual subscription. Every year, T-Mobile members can get that subscription free, so I have enjoyed all the MLB games free all year for the past 3-4 years. The catch is that in-market games are not shown live but the live radio broadcasts are available. So for example if you live in SF, you would not be able to watch the Giants games until after the game ends, then you can watch a rebroadcast.
Wouldn't you just use a VPN that MLB hasn't blocked to watch live?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Not sure if can call the USA with it from overseas.

There are loads of apps which do this for free and work anywhere you can get wifi (which is more common in Europe than the US). Facetime, Facebook, WeChat, WhatsApp, etc.

I also get around this problem by not calling anyone when I'm on vacation. Either it's a small thing and not worth worrying about. Or it's a big thing and insurance will deal with it. (Or a funeral which I don't want to attend.)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Recently, the SF Giants, and I suspect other teams as well, have started broadcasting their baseball games once a week or so on various subscription required streaming services. So to watch the games, you have to subscribe to multiple streaming services. I think that's bull-:poop:!
That's how it is with the yankees and NY Rangers. Someone said to me, Oh you're a ranger fan during the playoffs only. My reply was simple "I live 25 blocks from MSG and the playoffs are the only time I can watch them". it's insane how you have to pay for every little thing.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I didn't think Straight Talk (any pre-paid plan actually) locked their phones. TIL. I'd advise in the future only buying unlocked phones. Then again, it seems from your other post you're actually happy with the service, phones, and price you're paying, so I'll bow out at this point trying to save you money.
Yeah they do lock some of their own phones. You can bring a phone to them also.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
That's how it is with the yankees and NY Rangers. Someone said to me, Oh you're a ranger fan during the playoffs only. My reply was simple "I live 25 blocks from MSG and the playoffs are the only time I can watch them". it's insane how you have to pay for every little thing.
Well since we are all into timeshares here getting dinged for extra fees is par for the course and we are used to it.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)