• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Streaming service

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I subscribed to utubetv but I am not real happy with it.
I am really unhappy that they are raising the price to $65 a month.
all we watch is cnn, golf channel, nbc, and cbs.
my husband likes cspan but that station doesn’t come in.
so what is a good service that would give us network and the golf channel or even just network and some other choices

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I subscribed to utubetv but I am not real happy with it.
I am really unhappy that they are raising the price to $65 a month.
all we watch is cnn, golf channel, nbc, and cbs.
my husband likes cspan but that station doesn’t come in.
so what is a good service that would give us network and the golf channel or even just network and some other choices
Hi! I think Hulu Live should have you covered with what you are looking for.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
In light of their next rate increase, I know NOT to recommend You Tube TV.
That's just beyond insane. DirecTV and Dish may actually be coming back into view.....if only they would do something about their contracts....

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I'm not sure if your channels are here but the free app Pluto TV is what I like. I just looked and see that the golf channel is on Pluto TV channel 447.

Bill

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I'm not sure if your channels are here but the free app Pluto TV is what I like. I just looked and see that the golf channel is on Pluto TV channel 447.

Bill
As an FYI: channel 477 is PGA Live which is different from the Golf Channel.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Streaming services are getting very close to being priced at the levels of what they replaced (namely Dish and DirecTv) and still, none of the have offered al a carte options.
That will be the game changing shoe to drop next hopefully.
Or, some networks will start offering streaming options on their own. For example:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I've been trying to do this for years. It's a game of whack a mole. As soon as you think you have a package you like, you notice one essential channel you need (CBS, ABC, nfl) is missing from that provider. They all seem to have one piece of what you want gone, but have 100s of channels you'd never watch. But this is now happening with Dish as well with all the disputes.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@bbodb1 YUP -- I was irritated by my cable provider and ditched them. Got a Roku, got Hulu Live, blah blah blah. Did that for about 6 months. Did not like Hulu Live for a variety of reasons. Went back to cable and got a big price reduction from where I was before I ditched them. Very happy to have my cable back.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am paying for Comcast year round, but can’t get it here. For a few hundred I could get one cable service brought to the house, pay them at least eighty a month and the pay them a reduced rate the seven months we are gone. I have Netflix, amazon prime, and some others, utubetv doesn’t even have the weather channel, which we will want if a hurricane is threatening Florida

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am paying for Comcast year round, but can’t get it here. For a few hundred I could get one cable service brought to the house, pay them at least eighty a month and the pay them a reduced rate the seven months we are gone. I have Netflix, amazon prime, and some others, utubetv doesn’t even have the weather channel, which we will want if a hurricane is threatening Florida
I'm not sure if this would help you....Comcast has an app. You can put the app on your Roku and watch you Comcast that way. That's what I do -- I have a Comcast box on one TV. Then I get Comcast on my 2nd TV via the Roku.

I put the app on my devices so I can watch Comcast on the road, wherever.

Might be a really inexpensive way to get Comcast into your 2nd home.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am paying for Comcast year round
Some channels allow you to stream via their web site or an application on e.g. a Roku using a Cable log in. That might work for some of what you are looking for. Weather Nation is free on Roku, and a good Weather Channel substitute. Comcast might also let you watch (some of) your channels remotely as well.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Streaming services are getting very close to being priced at the levels of what they replaced (namely Dish and DirecTv) and still, none of the have offered al a carte options.
That will be the game changing shoe to drop next hopefully.
Or, some networks will start offering streaming options on their own. For example:
I was one of the very early DirecTV customers (1994, if I recall correctly) back when the programming was split between DirecTV and USSB. One of their big sales pitches they used was that they were going to offer à la carte programming -- just pick and pay for the channels you want. And that was over 25 years ago! That obviously never came to be.

I am seeing a similar thing today. Lots of promises but when it comes down to it, the streaming companies are gradually forcing people into larger and larger (and more expensive) packages. I'm glad cable and satellite options are still around to give them competition, but if they go away, we may not be much better off than those legacy companies we all like to complain about.

Kurt

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Given where you live, you could get all the networks OTA with an inexpensive antenna from Best Buy. I considered that, but Marco is too far away from the TV towers to get decent reception. Also, stay away from the satellites like DISH and DirecTV. Every time a storm passes by you lose your signal, and depending on the storm that's not when you want the signal to go out. They advertise 99.9% signal availability, but that's a national average, not what you'll get in south Florida.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I subscribed to Sling Blue in March, and it's much better than when I had their service when it was originally released some years ago. Depending on which channels you want, you may need their Orange plan or even some options. I'm paying $30/mth for Blue and I think that's fine. I also have numerous other channels (HBO, Netflix, Prime, CBS and more).

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of their big sales pitches they used was that they were going to offer à la carte programming -- just pick and pay for the channels you want. And that was over 25 years ago! That obviously never came to be.

I am seeing a similar thing today. Lots of promises but when it comes down to it, the streaming companies are gradually forcing people into larger and larger (and more expensive) packages.
My conclusion is that the a la carte pricing model doesn't work---the addressable market for most channels as a standalone offering (number of people willing to pay $x/month) is just too small to make it work. For your most-watched channel, how much would you be willing to pay to get that one, and only that one? At what price would you decide that, well, that particular channel isn't that important?

This became even more clear to me as I consider the past four months. I am (was?) a huge sports fan, and had three or four that I would spend a lot of time and energy following. Those have all been more or less completely gone since the middle of March and somewhat surprisingly, I do not miss them all that much. I have replaced that with reading books, listening to music, taking walks, or cooking. I am still watching TV, but as long as I have a reasonable set of things to pick from, it isn't all that important what it is.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have tried putting Comcast on the Roku, I am denied saying I need to subscribe to this service. I do have it on my iPad, but don’t get anything live.
we do have an antenna, a big one, but we are not getting much. We are surrounded by 60 foot trees.
thanks for the word about weather nation.
i have been looking at sling and trying to determine what if any local stations come in.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given where you live, you could get all the networks OTA with an inexpensive antenna from Best Buy. I considered that, but Marco is too far away from the TV towers to get decent reception. Also, stay away from the satellites like DISH and DirecTV. Every time a storm passes by you lose your signal, and depending on the storm that's not when you want the signal to go out. They advertise 99.9% signal availability, but that's a national average, not what you'll get in south Florida.
For us the problems with DISH and DirecTV, are as followers tall pine's trees leaf's in the summer months can block signals, when we receive a heavy rain, a hurricane, a northeast or snow it blocks their signals. Dropped them went back to cable with a good cheap bundle deal.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was always satisfied with Direct TV. Every now and then I lost the signal due to a storm but not often enough to let it bother me. I did have to have trees trimmed a couple of times when limbs grew enough to wave in front of my dish. They were always accommodating when I complained about rate increases....

George

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Fubo has all four of those. It runs $55/month.
Two material changes for the OP:

1: Fubo no longer carries Turner networks as of 7/1 (so no CNN)
2: Price will be increasing to $60/mo later this summer.

But, a good change for me:

3: They are adding Disney networks: ABC, ESPN, etc.

This makes Fubo's base package a one-stop shop for folks primarily interested in live sports: ESPN/2/3, NBCSN, FS1 and 2, CBSSN, BeIN, Big Ten, Pac 12-national, plus SEC and/or ACC if you are in those two markets (and you can add these with the Sports add-on if you are out of market). FX/FXX are halfway decent replacements for TBS/TNT.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
For us the problems with DISH and DirecTV, are as followers tall pine's trees leaf's in the summer months can block signals, when we receive a heavy rain, a hurricane, a northeast or snow it blocks their signals. Dropped them went back to cable with a good cheap bundle deal.
We dropped our land-line, cancelled our lousy 3 mb/s DSL line, cancelled the ever-failing DirecTV, and cancelled our Verizon cell lines. Went with a bundle, like you. I can't believe we get 50 mb/s now, and both our cell lines are $14.65 TOTAL - not each. Plus the nearly 200 TV channels, hi-def, with whole-house DVR in 4 different rooms. Very happy with this.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)