• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Strategy For Vistana Presentation

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The week I see on eBay at $1.00 is a fixed week 7 in the Courts section of Vistana, one of the older areas. I don't know if those are the ones that were already refurbished, or if they have yet to be done, but the assessment will add a bunch to your annual use. The ad says $341 X 5 years for that refurb. That could be why the owner chose to get rid of the week.

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sure don't know how they decided to call me for the offer. It was early this year. I did not solicit the call. By May we had picked the November dates, I called them to see if that was ok and we were booked.

My confirmation letter, 1st sentence states: "Whether you're an old friend of Sheraton Vacation Ownership or a new acquaintance, we're delighted that you've chose us for your vacation needs. Blah Blah Blah."

So they must not care that we are owners already? Do you think I should just not mention that I already own? I want the best possible outcome to get out of there quickly without pressure. I would hate it if they determined that we are not eligible and charged us the full rate for the nights. Yikes.:eek:

It is highly likely that they have already checked their database to see whether or not you are already an owner. They may act like they don't know but chances are they do.

Just make an offer that you know they are not going to accept.

schubes

TUG Member
Reaction score
You bid $2 & you get outsniped by somebody who bids, say, $500 during the closing seconds & buys it out from under you for $440 or so after the dust settles.

Just because the high bid is $2 with a couple of days or a few hours to go, that doesn't mean that people aren't scheming & watching & waiting & eSniping behind the scenes so they can try to buy it low during the final moments without tipping their hand ahead of time.

So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

I just wanted to say I like your signature even tho it does not show up on the quote.

schubes

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is highly likely that they have already checked their database to see whether or not you are already an owner. They may act like they don't know but chances are they do.

Just make an offer that you know they are not going to accept.

My main objective is to get out of there quickly and not waste their time. I have absolutely no desire to buy anything at this time. Although based on what I see on ebay, this might be a great time to get a bargain.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
My main objective is to get out of there quickly and not waste their time. I have absolutely no desire to buy anything at this time. Although based on what I see on ebay, this might be a great time to get a bargain.

My quickest presentation was 30 minutes, and could have been shorter only that the conversation switched to something completely different for the last 10 minutes. He (sales) was among the best I've yet met at a Starwood resort, and within a few minutes understand that I buy resale, have no intention of buying new, and really only wanted to hear what was new or changing. He didn't lie, confuse, or otherwise attempt to manipulate my opinion.

I make it clear up front that I have never bought direct, have visited their hard to get resorts, have 400,000+ StarPoints (and don't need more from buying another timeshare), and am there to get a real update and my bonus points. Some of the sales staff ignore me, but when they do I get visibly upset (but I'm not) and stop them immediately - getting them off track and insist on ending the meeting. When this has happened, I'm usually out of there within 15 minutes from that point - they bring in their closer (I think that's a required step for them to get credit for the meeting, or some such), and I repeat myself that I'm not going to buy, etc - and then it's over.

Don't psych yourself up so much that you worry about the meeting, which it seems you may be doing at this point. Just go there, as relaxed as you can be, tell them your goals and after 10/15 minutes tell them to wrap it up. They may say that you need to stay for 90 minutes or so in order to qualify, at which point I would insist on ending the meeting. If you have to, just get up and walk out saying loudly "I always buy *my* timeshares on the resale market for 50% of your prices". If you don't have the energy for this, just sit quietly through the meeting and keep saying "No, I don't have plans to travel next year, and no, I'm not spending any money today. Oh, and no, I don't believe you that this is such a great deal". Get the picture?

schubes

TUG Member
Reaction score
My quickest presentation was 30 minutes, and could have been shorter only that the conversation switched to something completely different for the last 10 minutes. He (sales) was among the best I've yet met at a Starwood resort, and within a few minutes understand that I buy resale, have no intention of buying new, and really only wanted to hear what was new or changing. He didn't lie, confuse, or otherwise attempt to manipulate my opinion.

I make it clear up front that I have never bought direct, have visited their hard to get resorts, have 400,000+ StarPoints (and don't need more from buying another timeshare), and am there to get a real update and my bonus points. Some of the sales staff ignore me, but when they do I get visibly upset (but I'm not) and stop them immediately - getting them off track and insist on ending the meeting. When this has happened, I'm usually out of there within 15 minutes from that point - they bring in their closer (I think that's a required step for them to get credit for the meeting, or some such), and I repeat myself that I'm not going to buy, etc - and then it's over.

Don't psych yourself up so much that you worry about the meeting, which it seems you may be doing at this point. Just go there, as relaxed as you can be, tell them your goals and after 10/15 minutes tell them to wrap it up. They may say that you need to stay for 90 minutes or so in order to qualify, at which point I would insist on ending the meeting. If you have to, just get up and walk out saying loudly "I always buy *my* timeshares on the resale market for 50% of your prices". If you don't have the energy for this, just sit quietly through the meeting and keep saying "No, I don't have plans to travel next year, and no, I'm not spending any money today. Oh, and no, I don't believe you that this is such a great deal". Get the picture?

Great. I totally get it. I just hope I can be convincing enough when I say what I want to say. Believe me, we had absolutely no intention of buying Princeville and the next thing we know, we are new owners. How does that happen? We did not even get a freebie weekend or anything. Just dropped in to look around and bam, we bought.

We are looking forward to going to WPORV in July though.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great. I totally get it. I just hope I can be convincing enough when I say what I want to say. Believe me, we had absolutely no intention of buying Princeville and the next thing we know, we are new owners. How does that happen? We did not even get a freebie weekend or anything. Just dropped in to look around and bam, we bought.

We are looking forward to going to WPORV in July though.

I agree with Ken. You are psyching yourself out!! :ignore: Just be STRONG and say NO to everything and be done with it. And in the back of your mind, think of the chorus of "RESCIND, RESCIND" that you will here from us TUGgers.

As icing on the cake, just think of how totally embarrasing it will be to come back to this forum should you get "weak" and succumb to their sales techniques and buy. We will all be throwing tomatoes at you! That should do it. :D :D

Katherine

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We don't do TS presentations at all anymore. No discounts is worth the hassle and the waste of precious vacation time. I don't think that $338 for 3 nights is that great of a deal, frankly. Have you tried other avenues that don't include a sales presentation?

Good luck!

I got the same offer, and it included two 7 day tickets to Universal Studios (both parks), which made it more than worthwhile.

schubes

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the same offer, and it included two 7 day tickets to Universal Studios (both parks), which made it more than worthwhile.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the tix. What were the options again? We picked Disney tickets, but no one really wants to go and we already have passes for Universal. Was there another option? Any cash?

schubes

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Ken. You are psyching yourself out!! :ignore: Just be STRONG and say NO to everything and be done with it. And in the back of your mind, think of the chorus of "RESCIND, RESCIND" that you will here from us TUGgers.

As icing on the cake, just think of how totally embarrasing it will be to come back to this forum should you get "weak" and succumb to their sales techniques and buy. We will all be throwing tomatoes at you! That should do it. :D :D

Katherine

OK. I will just try to keep repeating no thanks, not at this time, retirement account took a big hit, no thank you, where's the bathroom.......

I was hoping there was a good lead in that I could use from the get go to let them know that no matter how hard they try, we will not be buying. I think I will use the economy line that Ken suggested. I would never tell them that we were such easy suckers the first time.:bawl: My lips are sealed on that one.:ignore:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Oh yeah, I forgot about the tix. What were the options again? We picked Disney tickets, but no one really wants to go and we already have passes for Universal. Was there another option? Any cash?

No cash, just tickets. I focused on Universal because we have Annual passes for Disney. The tix are good for 7 consecutive days and you have up to a year to activate them.

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
In regards to all of the Vistana weeks for sale on ebay for $1.00 and up, yes those are truly deeded SVR weeks. I picked up some SVR weeks hoping that resale purchases for sections other than Lakes and Cascaades would be invited into SVN in the future (and I paid as low as $1.00). So far, Fountains I and II have paid their SA's (special assessments) and have been invited to participate in SVN. Springs and Falls owners have paid half (but haven't yet been invited to join), and SA's were just announced for the other sections. I think they are being split into 4 payments, are quite pricy, and the first installments havent come due yet. There are other threads about the special assessments at SVR.
-tim

schubes

TUG Member
Reaction score
In regards to all of the Vistana weeks for sale on ebay for $1.00 and up, yes those are truly deeded SVR weeks. I picked up some SVR weeks hoping that resale purchases for sections other than Lakes and Cascaades would be invited into SVN in the future (and I paid as low as $1.00). So far, Fountains I and II have paid their SA's (special assessments) and have been invited to participate in SVN. Springs and Falls owners have paid half (but haven't yet been invited to join), and SA's were just announced for the other sections. I think they are being split into 4 payments, are quite pricy, and the first installments havent come due yet. There are other threads about the special assessments at SVR.
-tim

Do you use those specific weeks or use them as a trade in on II or somewhere? This is becoming intriguing.

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you use those specific weeks or use them as a trade in on II or somewhere? This is becoming intriguing.

I will go to Orlando but not every year. They do trade quite well in II. I have a week in RCI, but I haven't mastered RCI yet.

-tim

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
Another thought (which is what happened to us at Harborside) -- The first salesguy did the initial Starwood pitch ("how often do you vacation, how much do you pay per night, etc") which we had gotten at WKV when we first purchased. He didn't get that we were 3* by then and those questions didn't apply. If you get that pitch you need to move him/her away quickly and get to the closer by asking lots of harder questions, like the status of the renovations, will people not in SVN but who own properties being renovated be asked to join, etc., all while stating that you're not in a position to buy. That will get things moving along. The closer will need to come anyway but you should get out quicker.

We'll also be at Vistana Nov 23-30 in Key West (so the other one than maybe you're in). Anyone else going to Orlando for Turkey Day?

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise L is going for Turkey day to Beach Club! K

schubes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thought (which is what happened to us at Harborside) -- The first salesguy did the initial Starwood pitch ("how often do you vacation, how much do you pay per night, etc") which we had gotten at WKV when we first purchased. He didn't get that we were 3* by then and those questions didn't apply. If you get that pitch you need to move him/her away quickly and get to the closer by asking lots of harder questions, like the status of the renovations, will people not in SVN but who own properties being renovated be asked to join, etc., all while stating that you're not in a position to buy. That will get things moving along. The closer will need to come anyway but you should get out quicker.

We'll also be at Vistana Nov 23-30 in Key West (so the other one than maybe you're in). Anyone else going to Orlando for Turkey Day?
How do I get the closer to close up the talk? I will ask those questions you posed because I am interested in the answers just for my information. But it comes to mind that I cannot trust those answers they give anyway, based on my experience when we were sold the WPORV. Those sales people seem to say anything that might get you to buy.

I have no idea which section they will be putting us up in. We will be at Vistana 25 - 28.

bward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was on the Vistana Resort/Villages 'owners update' last year.

Everything was fine for the first guy. I was upfront and adamant about 'just saying no.' He got it and moved on.

But then came the 'mgr' who needed to sign off so that I could get the fifty bucks I was promised.

This guy was hard nosed to the point of ridiculous.

I stood my ground, no problem.

And before I knew it, we were talking about cash and points. This guy never even came up for air!

Oh yeah the door for this was opened with an offer for the 'Explorer Package' meaning $1500 (or something like this) to lock in prices for two years, plus a 'free' vacation week. So, if you buy the package, you take another week at Vistana, and they'll take $1500 off the price of a timeshare if you buy. Plus they'll throw in Starpoints. At least that's how I think it worked. I could be wrong, but it's an approximation.

Whatever, I passed.

Just thought you should know that this will be thrown at you if you say you are buying nothing until the economy improves. They actually have that base covered.

My suggestion, be polite and firm, and you'll be good.

And if they start asking about Starpoints and the Amex card, just say you are a cardholder, you know all about the program, it's great. It keeps them from going into THAT sales pitch.

I guess at these owners updates, or TS presentations, these people can make money a number of different ways. They will come at you from a variety of angles.

If you are not interested, best you can do is keep saying no. After about the 15th time, they'll get it. And you'll get the signature you need to keep up your end of the bargain.

I'd also hold them to the 90 minutes. Set your watch. Tell them you must be out at 90 minutes or less.

And most important of all, look at it as a little adventure. You'll have a story to tell afterwards.

And don't let it ruin your vacation. Shake it off. Get a drink at lunch time, and you'll laugh it away.

Have fun!

bward

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have a drink before perhaps?? :hysterical:

Nah, never mind. YOu might be toasted enough to say yes to something. The PP is correct -- have the drink AFTER. :rofl:

Katherine

schubes

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was on the Vistana Resort/Villages 'owners update' last year.

Everything was fine for the first guy. I was upfront and adamant about 'just saying no.' He got it and moved on.

But then came the 'mgr' who needed to sign off so that I could get the fifty bucks I was promised.

This guy was hard nosed to the point of ridiculous.

I stood my ground, no problem.

And before I knew it, we were talking about cash and points. This guy never even came up for air!

Oh yeah the door for this was opened with an offer for the 'Explorer Package' meaning $1500 (or something like this) to lock in prices for two years, plus a 'free' vacation week. So, if you buy the package, you take another week at Vistana, and they'll take $1500 off the price of a timeshare if you buy. Plus they'll throw in Starpoints. At least that's how I think it worked. I could be wrong, but it's an approximation.
Ok based on this, I should NOT ask any questions such as were suggested earlier like renovations, SVN membership, and so on. I should just say no, no, no. Then when the closer comes in, let him give his speech, and just be quiet. I am afraid if I ask questions, it will drag on.

Or if I use the beating we took on retirement as our excuse for not buying and he tries to throw the Explorer package deal at us, I should just say that we are not prepared to spend any money of any kind until we see how the economy shakes out with the new President. (Either way, I don't see anyone a winner anyway).

I guess I am over thinking it but with good reason. We were sucked in once already because we weren't thinking at all. Better to over think and be ready and armed with what to do.

schubes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have a drink before perhaps?? :hysterical:

Nah, never mind. YOu might be toasted enough to say yes to something. The PP is correct -- have the drink AFTER. :rofl:

Katherine

At 7:30 am I think I will just drink their coffee and eat their breakfast food. Oh, maybe I shouldn't. I will feel additional guilt for not buying anything.:wall:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
You could always tell them that you are checking out a Marriott/Wyndham the next day and want to compare the two properties before making a commitment.

bward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Schubes,

Yes they can be very argumentative and persuasive.

I don't think there is any 'silver bullet' that will end the conversation and let you move quickly move on.

Best advice I can give you is simple: be firm, be polite.

Leave the credit card, the checkbook, the money, back at the unit. Tell them it's all back home.

Sad to say, unless you get someone who will give you a random act of mercy, you'll be stuck for 90 minutes. But definately cut it off at 90 minutes, ask the manager to sign the document you need, and move on.

Good luck. It won't be as bad as you fear.

As I said, don't let it ruin your vacation!

bward

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could always tell them that you are checking out a Marriott/Wyndham the next day and want to compare the two properties before making a commitment.

I used this strategy at the Hilton Las Vegas Strip. Just wanted to learn about their program.

I told the guy I know everything about timeshare in general and will visit the Marriott Grand Chateau the day after.

It was a really relaxed 30 minutes meeting and I learned everything about Hilton I wanted to know. He even compared Hilton to Marriott, gave fair pros and cons.