• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Strategy for DVC using RCI

Lrf317

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
From previous posts I have gathered that snagging a two bedroom is not likely even with an ongoing search over a year out. So my question...with this in mind, if we can't get a two bedroom for January 2017 we would ideally want a one bedroom with two bathrooms which leaves AKL or BLT. Should I revise my search for just those two or leave it set up as is for all DVC locations. I just don't want to end up with Saratoga Springs because it releases 2 minutes before another when things are bulk deposited and I miss out. Does this make sense? Any strategy recommendations. I am also assuming OKW is probably our next best option if we don't get two bathrooms even though others have better locations. (We are at least 3 but maybe 4 adults and two children 4 and 2.

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
From previous posts I have gathered that snagging a two bedroom is not likely even with an ongoing search over a year out. So my question...with this in mind, if we can't get a two bedroom for January 2017 we would ideally want a one bedroom with two bathrooms which leaves AKL or BLT. Should I revise my search for just those two or leave it set up as is for all DVC locations. I just don't want to end up with Saratoga Springs because it releases 2 minutes before another when things are bulk deposited and I miss out. Does this make sense? Any strategy recommendations. I am also assuming OKW is probably our next best option if we don't get two bathrooms even though others have better locations. (We are at least 3 but maybe 4 adults and two children 4 and 2.

Welcome to Tug. :wave: there is an ongoing DVC thread in the Sightings Forum (best $15 spent to become a TUG member) that has tons of information about two bedrooms, one bedrooms, resorts that are being deposited, etc. Tuggers have noticed a major change in how DVC is being deposited into RCI since 2014, so be sure to read current threads. I also have a lot of posts about two bedrooms for our family this summer at Saratoga Springs. Prior to 2014, we had no trouble getting matches. We stayed at Beach Club, Bay Lake Tower 2x, and had an additional reservation at WIlderness Villas. I have had searches going since March 2014, and still have not matched for anything other than SSR this time.

Again, welcome!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hi all,

You might have better luck trying to get two one bedrooms for the same week @ SSR in January as long as it's not a holiday week/event week. ;)

Lrf317

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I don't know that I will have enough trading power for two one bedrooms. We are not planning for a holiday week of any sort though. I have been checking daily and have seen trading value for a one bedroom range from 10-38 with the tens being last minute. I was shocked this morning to see one pop up for AKL for 10. Anyway, I guess I am just trying to determine if I only try for AKL or BLT for the next few months, is there a chance I could get lucky and if not still be able get OKW or SS closer in.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have moved your post to the Exchanging Forum, since your questions is about exchanging.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can sleep 6 people in a 1 bedroom.

Nancy

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying this. Is your ongoing search you mentioned above for a 1 bedroom?

I make all my requests for a one bedroom that sleeps 4, as that is how the resorts are listed in RCI. When you get a confirmation, you will call Disney member services to list the names of the occupants. They allow the extra person. As far as ongoing searches go, however, you must request 4 or less people for your one bedroom.

Lrf317

TUG Member
Reaction score
I make all my requests for a one bedroom that sleeps 4, as that is how the resorts are listed in RCI. When you get a confirmation, you will call Disney member services to list the names of the occupants. They allow the extra person. As far as ongoing searches go, however, you must request 4 or less people for your one bedroom.

Yes. I have that all set up correctly. I am kind of surprised that with an ongoing search for that long you haven't matched OKW or AKL since I have seen them both pop up in the last few months but I guess those are last minute deposits or cancellations. I set up my search about 3
months ago so over 15 months ahead of my travel week but have been going back and forth on which resorts to leave to maximize my
chances when things are bulk deposited. I'm now leaning toward only listing ones that can accommodate us if we are 6 and I can always add Saratoga springs back in later.

Lrf317

TUG Member
Reaction score
In general, my philosophy is Don't Be Greedy. I only leave something of the list if I'd rather stay offsite (or not go at all) than stay there.

I totally understand that. I just want to have the best chance of matching with something that can accommodate six if my sister is able to join us. If it does not work out, we have back up options but I have never stayed on property and wanted to give it a shot.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I totally understand that. I just want to have the best chance of matching with something that can accommodate six if my sister is able to join us. If it does not work out, we have back up options but I have never stayed on property and wanted to give it a shot.

Six people in a 1BR for a week sounds absolutely miserable, to me. Are you sure you want to do that? For the same or less TPUs, you could get a 2 or 3 BR offsite. Is the "Disney magic" really worth living elbow-to-elbow for a week? Perhaps plan the on-site trip in a 1BR for a time when it is just the kids with you?

Kurt

Lrf317

TUG Member
Reaction score
Six people in a 1BR for a week sounds absolutely miserable, to me. Are you sure you want to do that? For the same or less TPUs, you could get a 2 or 3 BR offsite. Is the "Disney magic" really worth living elbow-to-elbow for a week? Perhaps plan the on-site trip in a 1BR for a time when it is just the kids with you?

Kurt

We have definitely thought about that. We open and close the parks when we have been in the past and our thought is that if my sister decides to come, we can always use our Orlando based timeshare for more space. We have deposited a week in Hilton Head. We would still need to be able to get magic bands and the perks for 5 people so would need one that would enable that regardless of if we all sleep there. If it doesn't work out, I am debating whether just to stay off property at our local timeshare and not have the perks or get two rooms at a value if there's a good promotion running.

DisneyDenis

Reaction score
Can you request 2 studios? Usually 2 studios = 1 bedroom in DVC points cost. Don't know how RCI could do this though ....

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. I have that all set up correctly. I am kind of surprised that with an ongoing search for that long you haven't matched OKW or AKL since I have seen them both pop up in the last few months but I guess those are last minute deposits or cancellations. I set up my search about 3
months ago so over 15 months ahead of my travel week but have been going back and forth on which resorts to leave to maximize my
chances when things are bulk deposited. I'm now leaning toward only listing ones that can accommodate us if we are 6 and I can always add Saratoga springs back in later.

You and me both. :( I took a chance and booked a one bedroom unit at SSR because I was nervous and tired of the waiting game. I have a match for a second one, but Wyndham is taking a long time to process our new resale contract, and with the changes to their system this year, I can't use the points that I thought I could to book the other unit. If worse comes to worse, and I do match AKV this week, I will cancel the unit I booked at SSR and use those points or AKV (and forfeit the $209 exchange fee) or rent the points from Wyndham and ask another family to go with us to use the SSR unit.

I am prepared for six in a one bedroom at AKV, BLT, or OKW. They have two bathrooms, and my kids are still really small.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Six people in a 1BR for a week sounds absolutely miserable, to me.
Me too, even in the larger ones.

I've had many onsite stays (OKW, BWV, VWL, BLT, BCV) and many off (Bonnet Creek, VV@P, Vistana, Windsor Hills, etc.) The overall vacation experience in a 2BR at Bonnet Creek isn't all that different from a 2BR at, say, OKW. I would not sacrifice space to be onsite.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I think off-site properties are preferable for a larger group. Rick says off-site is always preferable, and so we stay at Hiltons with RCI or Marriott with II. We just love the space, and when I am in the unit, it doesn't matter where I am, when I am not in the parks. When my eyes are closed, I don't care I am not on property. We don't like to be Disney hostages and get a car anyway. And the beds at Marriott and Hilton are just better. They are just more comfortable. I like a soft bed.