• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Still Can Trade Well With II

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
DC has flexibility. I used that flexibility nicely this morning and posted about it in another thread.

But II, also came through this morning. Wife is turning the big Five Oh next February and wanted to go to Marriott Canyon Villas for golf and sun. We needed a 2BR. I had a 1 BR and Studio for 2013 at Shadow Ridge Enclaves to trade for this reservation but was trying to not give up both sides of my unit. Was trying to hold the studio so I could trade into another Studio at Canyon Villas the same week as we expect a large group for this event. Top if off with her birthday falling on Presidents Day Weekend.

Figured I was going to have a tough time on this trade and might have to wait for flexchange to get it done. Logged in to II at 6am PST and sitting right in instant exchange was a 2BR at Marriott Canyon Villas for the exact dates I needed! A holiday Weekend! In addition to the up trade to the 2BR, I was able to use the studio to grab a Studio at Canyon Villas also. The dates of the studio are off by 1 day, but it will work. I will keep searching and try and re-trade to the correct dates for the Studio. Best part is the re-trade does not cost anything as we are in DC.

It's been a good day! :cheer:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I agree. II is still a great source of inventory. I have noticed a lot more one off deposits happening recently. I think this is because a lot of people are now making their 2012 plans and depositing their 2012 weeks. We still have one exchange we are eying for 2012, our fingers are crossed that it comes trough.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Despite what the salesmen might want you to believe, I see little difference (so far) in availability with I.I. than any other year we've exchanged. I believe that I.I. is still a very viable option for those who like to take entire week vacations and don't mind the traditional check in days.

Of course everything is subject to change over time. We'll all just have to guess at what future years hold as more trust inventory is sold and trust point owners begin requesting ever more inventory as the years go on.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
DC has flexibility. I used that flexibility nicely this morning and posted about it in another thread.

But II, also came through this morning. Wife is turning the big Five Oh next February and wanted to go to Marriott Canyon Villas for golf and sun. We needed a 2BR. I had a 1 BR and Studio for 2013 at Shadow Ridge Enclaves to trade for this reservation but was trying to not give up both sides of my unit. Was trying to hold the studio so I could trade into another Studio at Canyon Villas the same week as we expect a large group for this event. Top if off with her birthday falling on Presidents Day Weekend.

Figured I was going to have a tough time on this trade and might have to wait for flexchange to get it done. Logged in to II at 6am PST and sitting right in instant exchange was a 2BR at Marriott Canyon Villas for the exact dates I needed! A holiday Weekend! In addition to the up trade to the 2BR, I was able to use the studio to grab a Studio at Canyon Villas also. The dates of the studio are off by 1 day, but it will work. I will keep searching and try and re-trade to the correct dates for the Studio. Best part is the re-trade does not cost anything as we are in DC.

It's been a good day! :cheer:

Congrats on getting your exchange!

I'm a novice in the exchange game ( made my first one last year. Got what I wanted but I called in to the Marriott II desk). Please help me with understanding the online II game. As I understand it, when searching online at II, you will not see units larger than what you have deposited. How did you get an up trade in unit 12 months out? Is this an advantage of joining the DC?

Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

I'm a novice in the exchange game ( made my first one last year. Got what I wanted but I called in to the Marriott II desk). Please help me with understanding the online II game. As I understand it, when searching online at II, you will not see units larger than what you have deposited. How did you get an up trade in unit 12 months out? Is this an advantage of joining the DC?

Thanks!

This is incorrect. You just can't place an ongoing search for a unit larger than what you have deposited. I see weeks every day that are larger than what I have on deposit just by searching on the website.

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

My trade this morning had nothing to do with DC other than I paid no exchange fee. You can up trade by serching for instant exchange inventory. I was searching many times a day day for this trade for the last 3 weeks. 1BR Marriott's will see 2BR's most of the time if avaiulable, but unless the resort only has 2BR, you cannot make an ongoing request for an up trade. Feb is a prime time in Phoenix so I was surprized to see a 2BR sitting in instant exchange inventory.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget another thing...

The timeshare world does not live on the Marriott cake alone.

There are many other premium resorts that Marriott will trade with in II!

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is incorrect. You just can't place an ongoing search for a unit larger than what you have deposited. I see weeks every day that are larger than what I have on deposit just by searching on the website.

My trade this morning had nothing to do with DC other than I paid no exchange fee. You can up trade by serching for instant exchange inventory. I was searching many times a day day for this trade for the last 3 weeks. 1BR Marriott's will see 2BR's most of the time if avaiulable, but unless the resort only has 2BR, you cannot make an ongoing request for an up trade. Feb is a prime time in Phoenix so I was surprized to see a 2BR sitting in instant exchange inventory.

So "Instant Exchange" is yet another section I need to be aware of? I'm assuming it's a "grab it when you see it" section? Where do I find it on II?

I'm still learning. Thanks for your help!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So "Instant Exchange" is yet another section I need to be aware of? I'm assuming it's a "grab it when you see it" section? Where do I find it on II?

I'm still learning. Thanks for your help!

Just click on the Exchange tab in II.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

Thanks!

The only way to trade into a larger unit is by doing your own online searches. As Dioxide pointed out, you just can't make an ongoing request for a unit with a larger max sleeping capacity than you one you have deposited.

I tend to click the exchange tab in the blue border, then the redish orange button that says my units . From there it shows all the units I have available to exchange and I'll select the button that says vacation exchange. At that point, if you haven't already deposited the unit for exchange with I.I., it's going to ask you for a reservation # and a date. Any legitimate reservation # should work. I'll use an old reservation # from either a previous or a pending/confirmed exchange (timeshare or hotel hasn't seemed to matter). Once you have a valid reservation # and date it will take you to a page that allows you to select either a single destination, mult. destinations or you can put in a resort code. I usually select search all destinations, just to see what might be available.

In order to confirm an exchange you must have a deposited unit or, a valid reservation # for the unit you're searching with. It's not unusual for us to have an ongoing request first exchange resuest going while I'm making my searches. In those cases, if I find something acceptable I can select it for an instant match. Of course when I accept an instant match, it cancels the ongoing request first exchange request.

Last edited:

kamumma1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are still trading the "old fashioned way" through II, and have gotten every trade we've tried for. Not planning on switching unless we have to or trades dry up. We always deposit as soon as our weeks become available and the exchange can take a few months, but we've always gotten what we requested. Hope it continues.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only way to trade into a larger unit is by doing your own online searches. As Dioxide pointed out, you just can't make an ongoing request for a unit with a larger max sleeping capacity than you one you have deposited.

This is true, however, last year I placed a deposit first request with II. I gave them a studio, and I wanted like in Ko Olina anytime in the fall. Within three weeks, they matched me with a 2 BR lockout in Ko Olina for September. I was surprised, as this was the first time I got an uptrade without doing it myself.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This is true, however, last year I placed a deposit first request with II. I gave them a studio, and I wanted like in Ko Olina anytime in the fall. Within three weeks, they matched me with a 2 BR lockout in Ko Olina for September. I was surprised, as this was the first time I got an uptrade without doing it myself.

This happens when II gets a 2BR that your unit has the trade power to snag. At the same time there are no other people waiting and no 1BR or studios available. So II is going to give you what they have for which you qualify for with your match. It can happen, but isn't very common.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just click on the Exchange tab in II.

I tend to click the exchange tab in the blue border, then the redish orange button that says my units . From there it shows all the units I have available to exchange and I'll select the button that says vacation exchange. At that point, if you haven't already deposited the unit for exchange with I.I., it's going to ask you for a reservation # and a date. Any legitimate reservation # should work. I'll use an old reservation # from either a previous or a pending/confirmed exchange (timeshare or hotel hasn't seemed to matter). Once you have a valid reservation # and date it will take you to a page that allows you to select either a single destination, mult. destinations or you can put in a resort code. I usually select search all destinations, just to see what might be available.

In order to confirm an exchange you must have a deposited unit or, a valid reservation # for the unit you're searching with. It's not unusual for us to have an ongoing request first exchange resuest going while I'm making my searches. In those cases, if I find something acceptable I can select it for an instant match. Of course when I accept an instant match, it cancels the ongoing request first exchange request.

Thank you for your replies and for helping me to maximize my ownership. :hi: