• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stay At Home Humor

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 8.20.36 PM.png

:D Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 8.38.04 PM.png

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 8.38.34 PM.png

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@clifffaith and @Quiet Pine
I’ve never seen a 5-digit phone number with preceding letters. Did those correspond to the letters under the 2 through 9 on old school phones?

Yes. Most phone exchanges started as a word, and the first two letters became the numbers you’re familiar with now. It started changing in the early 1960s, at least in my town. REgent 4-3456 would have become 734-3456.

On old school dial or touch tone phones, there was no letters under the 1. The 2 had ABC, 3 had DEF., and so on.

it was around then that Postal Codes became Zip Codes on mailing addresses. 1964 comes to mind.

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes. Most phone exchanges started as a word, and the first two letters became the numbers you’re familiar with now. It started changing in the early 1960s, at least in my town. REgent 4-3456 would have become 734-3456.

On old school dial or touch tone phones, there was no letters under the 1. The 2 had ABC, 3 had DEF., and so on.

it was around then that Postal Codes became Zip Codes on mailing addresses. 1964 comes to mind.

Dave
Yes!!! I'm old enough to remember those two letter prefixes.

I sometimes use them as passwords for some sites where high security isn't that critical. Including the area code and dashes makes for string with letters (upper and lower case), digits, and special characters. Having gone through Alzheimer's issues with elderly relatives, I have deliberately created passwords from my youth, where I might be able to pull up that password given some cluing.

Screen shot from The Blues Brothers - with the two letter prefix:

1598682195468.png

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I sometimes use them as passwords for some sites where high security isn't that critical. Including the area code and dashes makes for string with letters (upper and lower case), digits, and special characters...

I sometimes use my wedding date. It helps me remember our anniversaries.
--------------------------------
Do you remember "party lines," where you could listen in on neighbors?

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Morning smile !
I like to start my day with a smile, working with the public , it gets wiped off my face.
Thats why this thread has peaked my interest
Dave

THIS IS WHY WE LOVE CHILDREN

1) NUDITY I was driving with my three young children one warm summer evening when a woman in the convertible ahead of us stood up and waved. She was stark naked! As I was reeling from the shock, I heard my 5-year-old shout from the back seat, 'Mom, that lady isn't wearing a seat belt!'

2) OPINIONS On the first day of school, a first-grader handed his teacher a note from his mother. The note read, 'The opinions expressed by this child are not necessarily those of his parents.'

3) KETCHUP A woman was trying hard to get the ketchup out of the jar. During her struggle the phone rang so she asked her 4-year-old daughter to answer the phone. 'Mommy can't come to the phone to talk to you right now. She's hitting the bottle.'

4) MORE NUDITY A little boy got lost at the YMCA and found himself in the women's locker room. When he was spotted, the room burst into shrieks, with ladies grabbing towels and running for cover. The little boy watched in amazement and then asked, 'What's the matter, haven't you ever seen a little boy before?'

5) POLICE # 1 While taking a routine vandalism report at an elementary school, I was interrupted by a little girl about 6 years old. Looking up and down at my uniform, she asked, 'Are you a cop?

Yes,' I answered and continued writing the report.

'My mother said if I ever needed help I should ask the police. Is that right?'

'Yes, that's right,' I told her.

'Well, then,' she said as she extended her foot toward me, 'would you please tie my shoe?'

6) POLICE # 2 It was the end of the day when I parked my police van in front of the station. As I gathered my equipment, my K-9 partner, Jake, was barking, and I saw a little boy staring in at me.

'Is that a dog you got back there?' he asked.

'It sure is,' I replied.

Puzzled, the boy looked at me and then towards the back of the van. Finally he said, 'What'd he do?'

7) ELDERLY While working for an organization that delivers lunches to elderly shut-ins, I used to take my 4-year-old daughter on my afternoon rounds. She was unfailingly intrigued by the various appliances of old age, particularly the canes, walkers and wheelchairs. One day I found her staring at a pair of false teeth soaking in a glass. As I braced myself for the inevitable barrage of questions, she merely turned and whispered, 'The tooth fairy will never believe this!'

8) DRESS-UP A little girl was watching her parents dress for a party. When she saw her dad donning his tuxedo, she warned, 'Daddy, you shouldn't wear that suit.'

'And why not, darling?'

'You know that it always gives you a headache the next morning.'

9) DEATH While walking along the sidewalk in front of his church, our minister heard the intoning of a prayer that nearly made his collar wilt. Apparently, his 5-year-old son and his playmates had found a dead robin. Feeling that proper burial should be performed, they had secured a small box and cottonwool, then dug a hole and made ready for the disposal of the deceased.

The minister's son was chosen to say the appropriate prayers and with sonorous dignity intoned his version of what he thought his father always said: 'Glory be unto the Faaather, and unto the Sonnn, and into the hole he goooes.' (I want this line used at my funeral!)

10) SCHOOL A little girl had just finished her first week of school. 'I'm just wasting my time,' she said to her mother. 'I can't read, I can't write, and they won't let me talk!'

11) BIBLE A little boy opened the big family Bible. He was fascinated as he fingered through the old pages. Suddenly, something fell out of the Bible. He picked up the object and looked at it. What he saw was an old leaf that had been pressed in between the pages.

'Mama, look what I found,' the boy called out.

'What have you got there, dear?'

With astonishment in the young boy's voice, he answered, 'I think it's Adam's underwear!'

NOW IF THIS DIDN'T BRIGHTEN YOUR DAY,GO BACK TO BED AND FORGET IT.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

Dave

When our family moved to Santa Barbara in 1963, phone numbers were only five digits long (ours was 75736). Progress came a few years later; we bypassed letters and went straight to seven numbers (now it's ten or eleven).

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 6.47.21 AM.png

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As someone who grew up "from Philly", I find the second map more inaccurate, as my childhood home would appear to now be completely under the water in the "straits of disinterest."

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score