• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starwood vs Marriott

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott shares downgraded to SELL

Zachs.com: We are lowering our rating on shares of Marriott International (NYSE: MAR - News) from Hold to Sell following the release of Q3 financial results.

The operating environment in the lodging sector has weakened substantially in recent quarters. Additionally, the company's timeshare segment is struggling, with sales down and credit market turmoil preventing the company from completing an expected note sale.

Given our forecast for negative earnings growth in 2009, along with the ongoing uncertainty regarding the state of the economy and its potential impact on Marriott's lodging and timeshare businesses, we rate the shares a Sell at this time. Within North America, management expects that company-operated RevPAR [revenue per available room] will decline by at least 3% over the prior year. Given current conditions, we would not be surprised to see RevPAR decline exceeded these expectations.

Starwood? :shrug:

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. HOT announced today that it will release the Company’s third quarter financial results prior to market open on Thursday, October 23, 2008, followed by a conference call at 10:30am ET. We'll see what sort of bad news that will bring....

K

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
We've stayed in different TS's other than where we own but have done so by renting the TS we wanted to stay either from an owner or an II getaway week (did a getaway at Grand Vista in Orlando for less than M&T's and rented Worldmark Depoe Bay summer week from an owner) and then rented the TS we own that we didn't want to use that year to someone else. The Starwood system works great from a rental standpoint in that we've always been able to get the peak weeks and then rent them. Although a member of II, I've never done an exchange.

I must admit I have a different vacationing style and requirements. My kids are school aged so, I'm stuck vacationing during school holidays. Getaways during those times are very limited and at place that aren't really where we want to visit. I'm glad it works for you and your family but it isn't the case with everyone.

I've rented about 10 times so far. Once with my starwood timeshare and 9 times with Marriott. I'm doing my 2nd rental with Starwood t/s and frankly I'm getting a little nervous as I'm not getting that many inquires. I'll be patient but at least with Marriott if I couldn't rent I could easily deposit my unit in II and get a decent trade. With Starwood I'm not given that opportunity because if I do deposit in II I'll probably get a lesser type resort than I own. I feel with Marriott the 24 day window is a GREAT advantage. I think it is better than Starwood's 8 month advantage to trade internally. With Marriott I've always gotten the trade I wanted. At the 8 month window I was able to trade into a one bedroom at WPORV but I really wanted a 2 bedroom and it was not available. However, when we checked in the resort was less than full. In fact the studio next door to us was empty.