• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starwood Partial Week Reservation

nanette0269

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, another newbie starwood question...

Lets say I want to book a trip (not my home resort) but in SVN. The resort says that check-in is only Friday-Sunday. But, the daily point chart implies that I can book for Monday-Wednesday, or some other weird combination of days. Is this only good a certain number of days prior to the arrival date, or am I just confusing myself for no reason! Thanks!

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, another newbie starwood question...

Lets say I want to book a trip (not my home resort) but in SVN. The resort says that check-in is only Friday-Sunday. But, the daily point chart implies that I can book for Monday-Wednesday, or some other weird combination of days. Is this only good a certain number of days prior to the arrival date, or am I just confusing myself for no reason! Thanks!

I'm a newbie also, but I'll try to help. The Friday - Sunday check-in is for weekly options - Fri-Fri, Sat-Sat, Sun-Sun. If you need shorter than a week, you just book for those days at the daily option rate. Hope that helps.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
For lots of info. about how Starwood works, see the FAQ at the top of the page...

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question along the same lines. What if I wanted to make a reservation for 12 days...starting on a Wednesday and ending on a Sunday. Would I then call for my reservation 8 months out at 8:59am on that Wednesday? If so, wouldn't that give me a priority over the people who are only booking for a week who call in several days after me?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I have a question along the same lines. What if I wanted to make a reservation for 12 days...starting on a Wednesday and ending on a Sunday. Would I then call for my reservation 8 months out at 8:59am on that Wednesday? If so, wouldn't that give me a priority over the people who are only booking for a week who call in several days after me?

From MyStarCentral.com User Guide (bolding mine):

When to Reserve
"To reserve a week in a different Starwood Vacation Network resort, Season and/or Villa Type than they own, (beginning on an established check-in day) the Smiths can make reservations as early as 8 months prior to their desired check-in date. For example, if they wished to check in on Friday, Nov. 11, 2005, they could make reservations as early as March 11, 2005, during the Starwood Vacation Network Float Period."

"When you use StarOptions you may

Reserve a week (or more), beginning on an established check-in day, at your Home Resort (or any Starwood Vacation Network resort) in a different Villa type and/or Season than you own. You may request reservations beginning 8 months prior to your desired arrival date, during the Starwood Vacation Network Float Period. Vacations for more than 7 days must begin or end on an established check-in day."

Clear as mud?

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clear as mud?

Yes. It does say "must begin OR end on an established check-in day". Has anyone ever tried to call for a reservation on a day other than Fri/Sat/Sun at exactly 8 months out? From what I'm reading, it seems you may be able to do that. The first paragraph is worded as an example and the second paragraph is worded as a rule...but they do contradict each other somewhat.

Could someone please try it just for the heck of it? I'd do it myself, but I don't have an account yet because I'm still in escrow. :)

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Could someone please try it just for the heck of it? I'd do it myself, but I don't have an account yet because I'm still in escrow. :)

Well, just search for a few of my posts from the last month as I've commented on it - in fact, just as early Sunday in the successful SVN reservation thread. Example 1 and Example 2

I made two of these recently and yes it works exactly as the SVN FAQ says - y'know, the right interpretation of it. There really is no confusion... until you get a SVN rep who doesn't know the rules, which happened to me, and so the reservation took 25 minutes while she was good enough to actually check if it was possible after saying it wasn't...

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In simplest terms -
1) you reserve a week starting on a regular check-in date and
2) then you use Staroptions to add extra days to the beginning or end of the week.

If you don't have extra Staroptions for the extra days, then you can't do it.

If you are only making a 7 day/1 week reservation, then you can't do it.

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
4) Check-in day (Fri, Sat, Sun)

Wednesday (!), check-out on Friday, 9 nights

e) How far out did you call (date and time)?

1 day less than 8 months, lots of availability at that time

So you called on a Thursday? That's what I was getting at. I'm sure not calling on a Fri/Sat/Sun helped you get the reservation, no?

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Would I then call for my reservation 8 months out at 8:59am on that Wednesday? If so, wouldn't that give me a priority over the people who are only booking for a week who call in several days after me?

Yes, and yes! You're learning!

Catazog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm, very interesting! I guess I didn't realize that you could tack on a few extra days before or after your 7 night stay at a resort when you reserve it at the 8 month mark (if it's not your home resort, of course). I thought you had to wait until you were 90 days out to reserve the extra days. I learned something from TUG -- again! :)

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
So you called on a Thursday? That's what I was getting at. I'm sure not calling on a Fri/Sat/Sun helped you get the reservation, no?

Yeah, I think it was a Thursday. And, possibly.

The bottom line, for me, is that whenever I've called inquiring about availability in the last two years the space has been there almost all the time at that eight month mark. I'm strictly talking about Fall and Spring weeks. Adding a few days on either end of the reservation hasn't made any perceivable difference, though adding it on early allows you to call before others for the following week's period (which is your point, I believe). This has been discussed multiple times in the last few years, but it's worth repeating! :)