• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starwood Loyalty Program

NWTRVLRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
HI :)

Does anyone know if when you redeem Starpoints in the Starwood loyalty program, if they include the resort fee? I know they do in the Hyatt system and didn't want to assume this is the norm :)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not usually and that is why it is great to use Starpoints/hotel points to redeem for stays. There are some exceptions like local authorities taxes.

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not usually and that is why it is great to use Starpoints/hotel points to redeem for stays. There are some exceptions like local authorities taxes.
Incorrect, resort fees will be charged if you book using SPs unless it is a villa property which doesn't charge resort fees.

NWTRVLRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay... so if I am booking a regular hotel room through the SPG website (not Vistana) using Starpoints there WILL be a resort fee, if the hotel changes one?

Does anyone know if the same holds true for the Marriott loyalty program?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There won't be a resort fee. The only exception is some govt taxes, like in Hawaii (occupancy tax) and my just completed hotel stay at the Marriott Park Hotel in Rome for 12 Euros (govt tax).

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I just got back from Oahu. Booked 3 "free nights" through SPG at the Princess Kaiulani using points and I was charged the resort fee for the three nights (and parking but that's a different subject.) I don't know about Marriott's policy. I did receive two free breakfast buffet coupons with my Gold status and a room view upgrade. (Buffet was $26/person. Never would have paid that to eat there. I'm just too cheap!)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got back from Oahu. Booked 3 "free nights" through SPG at the Princess Kaiulani using points and I was charged the resort fee for the three nights (and parking but that's a different subject.) I don't know about Marriott's policy. I did receive two free breakfast buffet coupons with my Gold status and a room view upgrade. (Buffet was $26/person. Never would have paid that to eat there. I'm just too cheap!)
I wonder if those were resort fees or were they really govt taxes for resorts in Hawaii? They often levy those fees even for timeshare stays.

We booked at Westin Napa several times and the resort fees and car park were never charged.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
They were resort fees. See the image below. I know I had a bill when I checked out and it was for resort fees for the hotel.

upload_2018-5-10_8-19-45.png

A daily resort charge of 34.55 USD per room (including tax) will be billed directly to each guest room for a variety of amenities and services. The resort charge rate and inclusions are subject to change. The following amenities and services are included:

• Premium Wireless High Speed Internet Access in guest rooms and public areas
  • MiFi mobile hotspot rental with unlimited wireless High Speed Internet Access on the island (one per room per stay); available at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
  • Unlimited local, long-distance, toll-free, and international telephone calls
  • Complimentary local newspaper
  • Two 500 mL bottles of water replenished daily (based on usage)
  • Children 12 and under eat free at Pikake Terrace with one paying adult (one child per paying adult)
  • Keiki (child) gifts at check-in
  • Complimentary one-day rental of GoPro camera (one per room per stay)
  • Daily cultural activities, including lei making, ukulele lessons, and hula lessons
  • Big Kahuna Beach Service: chilled water, fruit, and oshibori service
  • Discount at Moana Lani Spa at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
  • Discounts on Aloha Beach services, including an umbrella and two chairs
  • Buy one, get one free admission to Sea Life Park
  • 20 USD gift card valid towards men’s and women’s apparel at Reyn Spooner at Sheraton Waikiki (not applicable toward sale items or other discounts)
  • Collections of Waikiki savings booklet

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only time I have gotten charged resort fees was when I used cash + points. When it is 100% points, I have not gotten charged resort fees.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
The only time I have gotten charged resort fees was when I used cash + points. When it is 100% points, I have not gotten charged resort fees.
We were charged both when we used points for a week when we stayed at Marriott in Wailea. They waived parking for us upon our request as they didn't have the free breakfast

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were charged both when we used points for a week when we stayed at Marriott in Wailea. They waived parking for us upon our request as they didn't have the free breakfast
It baffles me then, maybe the decision to charge or not charge is by the hotel? The only time I have gotten the charge is when I used points + cash at hotel locations. I have not tried using points to book at timeshare properties.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
It baffles me then, maybe the decision to charge or not charge is by the hotel? The only time I have gotten the charge is when I used points + cash at hotel locations. I have not tried using points to book at timeshare properties.

it's completely up to the property. a points booking is just a cash booking, where the SPG program paid for the base rate plus taxes. you are still responsible for any additional charges, such as resort fees, parking, marketing fees, etc. it should say on your reservation what amounts are not included in the section that states the rate.

your SPG status will come in to play as far as resort fees and parking are concerned. SPG Platinums often get these reduced or completely waived. daily breakfast for two is an option for SPG Platinums as their welcome gift.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
it's completely up to the property. a points booking is just a cash booking, where the SPG program paid for the base rate plus taxes. you are still responsible for any additional charges, such as resort fees, parking, marketing fees, etc. it should say on your reservation what amounts are not included in the section that states the rate.

your SPG status will come in to play as far as resort fees and parking are concerned. SPG Platinums often get these reduced or completely waived. daily breakfast for two is an option for SPG Platinums as their welcome gift.
Good point. I have Platinum level and love the 2 complimentary full breakfasts.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
When booking via SPG, just click on the detail link and you will see all the fees, including resort fee, if any. In my experience, award stays do not include the resort fee.

I just paid $15/night at the San Juan Sheraton for a resort fee, on an award stay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
When booking via SPG, just click on the detail link and you will see all the fees, including resort fee, if any. In my experience, award stays do not include the resort fee.

I just paid $15/night at the San Juan Sheraton for a resort fee, on an award stay.

Hummmm.... we stayed at the Sheraton in San Juan and didn't get charged any fees and it was an award stay.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Hummmm.... we stayed at the Sheraton in San Juan and didn't get charged any fees and it was an award stay.

There are two Sheraton’s in San Juan.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
There are two Sheraton’s in San Juan.

We stayed at the one across from the cruise ship dock.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We stayed at the one across from the cruise ship dock.

I was at the other one, which is close to the other cruise dock...

NWTRVLRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
All good to know.... thanks again for everyone's input... I was assuming that since Hyatt includes the resort fee on points reservations that Starwood/Marriott would do the same... so I will make sure to check each time we book :)

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
There won't be a resort fee. The only exception is some govt taxes, like in Hawaii (occupancy tax) and my just completed hotel stay at the Marriott Park Hotel in Rome for 12 Euros (govt tax).
Westin St John used to charge are resort fee for bookings made through SPG. (They charged us.)

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
The actual policy of Starwood is when booking a hotel room with points the customer is responsible for any resort/destination fee that is normally imposed upon guests. The awards stay pays only for the room rate and any taxes calculated on the room rate. If you have not been charged for the resort/destination fee, consider it a gift because that is not the policy.

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
We've always had to pay resort fees, if they are normally charged, at both Starwood and Marriott properties. Both Swan and Dolphin in Orlando charged resort fees when we stayed on points. Marriott Waikiki and Waikoloa both charge resort fees, and we paid when we stayed on points.

The rate page for each property will specify any fees that are charged.