• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Starpoints & Star Options Clairification for Mandatory SVN Resorts

TravelGirl63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week we purchased at Westin Lagunamar EOY 2bd Lockoff in Gold season from the developer for $14,500 (81,500 star options). We own a SDO so we were given a SVO owner pricing discount. Along with it came 80,000 bonus Star Points. This cames with SPG Gold benefits.

I'm thinking we should rescind ( I have 2 more days to do so) and buy the SVN Mandatory Westin Kierland Villas 2 bd platinum lockoff. I've read all the posts and I'm trying to confirm I understand how a resale works. Can you confirm if my understanding is correct?
- I'll still be SPG Gold as this is a mandatory SVN resort.
- As SPG Gold, I'll still get all the benefits including 5th night free, late check out, upgrades when avaialble.
- I'll still be able to use Star Options for my week but they must be used in the ownership week. Star Options don't carry over from year to year.
- I'll still be able to accumulate Star Points through AMEX, etc. and use them over a 6 year period (I'll just lose out on the 80,000 bonus star points)Is that correct?

Am I correct in how these programs work? Thanks

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You should definitely buy resale and rescind this purchase. Don't hesitate, just do it. :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome to TUG! :hi:

Yes, you should definitely rescind!

Please read this article - Rescinding FAQ

Last week we purchased at Westin Lagunamar EOY 2bd Lockoff in Gold season from the developer for $14,500 (81,500 star options). We own a SDO so we were given a SVO owner pricing discount. Along with it came 80,000 bonus Star Points. This cames with SPG Gold benefits.

I'm thinking we should rescind ( I have 2 more days to do so) and buy the SVN Mandatory Westin Kierland Villas 2 bd platinum lockoff. I've read all the posts and I'm trying to confirm I understand how a resale works. Can you confirm if my understanding is correct?
- I'll still be SPG Gold as this is a mandatory SVN resort.
- As SPG Gold, I'll still get all the benefits including 5th night free, late check out, upgrades when avaialble.

The SPG benefits can be few and far between for Gold, so I wouldn't count on getting them regularly and I really wouldn't buy a TS for it - there are other ways to get SPG Gold.

- I'll still be able to use Star Options for my week but they must be used in the ownership week.

Not quite sure what you are asking, but Staroptions are used for reserving something other than what you own - like a different resort, or a different size unit. You don't use Staroptions to reserve your own week. Yes, WKV does have Staroptions on a resale purchase.

Star Options don't carry over from year to year.

Correct!

- I'll still be able to accumulate Star Points through AMEX, etc. and use them over a 6 year period (I'll just lose out on the 80,000 bonus star points)Is that correct?

Correct - the Starwood AMEX has nothing to do with timeshare ownership - anyone can get one.

For lots more info. see the FAQ at the top of the board and be sure and let us know what you have questions about!

Last edited:

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're on the right track with most of the things you either get or don't get with a resale. If you buy the Kierland 2br LO like you said, you'll have about 4X the number of SO's for about the same amount of money (maybe a little more).

What was the reason why you bought from the developer? Gold SPG status? Bonus Starpoints? You can buy 80,000 Starpoints from Starwood for $2800 if you want to. Gold status doesn't really get you much.

You said you have an SDO week too. Did you buy that one from the developer? If you didn't, did you have them requalify it when you purchased at Lagunamar? That would make more sense if you did that. See the thread on requalifying if you're not familiar with the process.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what the OP's intent is with his new purchase, but if his purpose is to use it EOY, then why rescind? Since Lagunamar is such a new resort, there are very few "cheap" resales to be had.

OP, what is your intention with your new purchase?

Terry

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I am not sure what the OP's intent is with his new purchase, but if his purpose is to use it EOY, then why rescind? Since Lagunamar is such a new resort, there are very few "cheap" resales to be had.

OP, what is your intention with your new purchase?
Terry

We discussed this before and there actually are cheap resales available already.

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score

TravelGirl63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually our intent in buying from the developer was to get a SVN mandatory resort as it allows easier trading in Starwood and it gives the option of using Options to break up our 2 bd into a 1 bd and convert the lockoff into Options for days at other Starwood resorts.

We purchased our SDO on EBay for a great price a few years ago but I don't necessarily get quick turn-arounds to trade requests through II or SFX.

I was also attracted to the builder offer because of the Starwood Gold, the 80,000 points and the extra 38,000 points we'd get by using AMEX for the purchase. Since you get 6 years to use those points, they'd come in handy for a future European vacation where we have short stays in multiple cities.

Truly what caused me to reconsider is the ecomony. I don't want to buy into a resort that may/may not be completed very quickly or at all in this economy. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but...

We don't plan on going to Cancun every year - maybe just a couple of times and will trade (hopefully) for Hawaii in the off-season the rest of the time as that's our regular vacation spot.

It looks like I can get a EOY 2 bd Lock-off at WKV for around $12-$13K, less than the Lagunamar, but maint fees will be higher.

Decisions, decisions...

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you purchased from the developer for those reasons and didn't requalify your SDO, RESCIND!!!! NOW!

TravelGirl63

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll definitely rescind.

By the way, they said we couldn't requalify our SDO because we'd have to spend a min of $20K on the new purchase. I think I have something in writing to that effect in the paperwork they gave me.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We purchased our SDO on EBay for a great price a few years ago but I don't necessarily get quick turn-arounds to trade requests through II or SFX.

Do you know about the 3 day priority for Starwood resorts in II? It doesn't work with on-going requests, only online reservations. When Starwood units are deposited to II and appear on the website, Starwood owners can see and reserve other Starwood resorts for 3 days before non-Starwood owners can even see them. In the past 6 months other owners have used inexpensive resale weeks like SDO to reserve Lagunamar, WKORV, and WPORV, to name a few. Not only can you reserve the big boys with your little SDO week, but you can reserve a larger unit than the one you own. There is an article about it in Owner Resources at the top of the page under Exchanging. I would never requalify my SDO week - I think it has more value as a II exchanger.

You should rescind your Lagunamar purchase and do a little homework. Even if you decide later that you want it, in this economy, there will be tons of cheap resales available at a far better price, or you may decide to go for another resort.

BTW - be sure you look at the cost of using SPG points for hotels - the nicer hotels are 12K - 20K Starpoints per night, so they don't go very far. I would never even consider converting my timeshare to Starpoints, but I love the free ones I earn with the AMEX. To see the cost of using Starpoints for hotels - see the link in Owner Resources.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
I'll definitely rescind.

By the way, they said we couldn't requalify our SDO because we'd have to spend a min of $20K on the new purchase. I think I have something in writing to that effect in the paperwork they gave me.

It is a no brainer. If Starwood will not allow you to retro your SDO unit with the developer purchase, RESCIND your developer purchase!

TravelGirl63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your feedback! The cancellation letter will be sent tomorrow.

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow - it usually takes much more than 2.5 hours to get someone to rescind. Our TUG Tag Team seams to be at the top of their game!

TravelGirl - not sure you can appreciate it yet, but people who don't even know you took the time to give you the benefit of their combined decades of experience. And unlike some sites, it was done with respect and caring. TUG remains the best resource and you are the exception - most of us found TUG well after the recision period!

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Actually, this appears to be an annual timeshare not every other year.

It's EOY even years.

NEW WESTIN LAGUNAMAR!

2BR/2BA LOCKOUT

PLATINUM PLUS

EVEN YEAR USAGE

WKS 5-17, 24-35,44-47, 51-52

INCLUDES XMAS AND NY!

USAGE 2010

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
Slow down - developer Gold versus resale Platinum Plus.

Not the same

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually our intent in buying from the developer was to get a SVN mandatory resort as it allows easier trading in Starwood and it gives the option of using Options to break up our 2 bd into a 1 bd and convert the lockoff into Options for days at other Starwood resorts.

I hope you do not have high hopes trading/exchanging with II or SVN. As I have stated before, there's lots of frustation and complaints about trading/exchanging (and booking outside of your home resort, villa and season) on TUG. This is not limited to Starwood. Money can be saved and wonderful trades do occur but that's not the norm and requires lots of finger crossing. As TS programs grow, so will trading/exchanging problems. Buy where you want to go.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I used to be of the "Buy where you want" philosophy and still am for the most part, especially if you have young kids and can only travel a few weeks out of the year. But for everyone else, I think it may be worth a gamble to get as low MFs as possible and use SVN or II to trade, esp now when the economy is in the toilet.

For instance, I can happily report that I got a 2 bdrm WSJ villa during platinum plus season the first time I tried to trade in SVN. All the Hawaii resorts are constantly being advertised on both SVO and SPG emails, so there's availability there even in the summer. And I've read about a few people who got into Harborside.

As far as II goes, I've read very positive things about II trades here. Their #1 complaint seems to be that Starwood doesn't deposit the week they want, but they are nearly unanimous in their delight at the trades they've gotten (e.g. a 2 bdrm gold season for depositing a 1 bdrm silver). So I think if you're willing to be a little flexible, and are a good planner, you'll actually get far more value out of your TS than folks like me who buy at the top tier resorts and have to pay sky high purchase prices and MFs.