• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Star Options & SVN Don't Transfer?

Camster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this so I'm looking for a little collective brain power here. I'm considering buying a resale unit at Westin Kierland / Platinum Season / Foating Week.

While I was trying to verify information, two different Starwood reps told me the unit doesn't retain membership in in SVN or the Star Options on resale and that my only option for trading will be with II. Frankly, I thought their answers were a little fuzzy. (But, of course, they wanted to sell developer units elsewhere.)

Two questions: 1. What is the truth about the SVN options transfer and 2. does it matter because it looks like it might be better to use II without SVN anway.

Thanks for the help.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome to TUG! :hi:

For lots of info. about how Starwood works, see the FAQ at the top of the page.

1. SVN membership/Staroptions transfer with some Starwood resorts, but not all. They do transfer with a WKV resale. I think it matters a lot, because with Staroptions you have the opportunity to try to exchange into any of the other Starwood resorts.

2. The ability to convert to StarPOINTS (hotel points) does not transfer with any resale purchase at any resort.

3. I think WKV is too expensive to use as an exchanger. I wouldn't buy there unless I wanted to go there regularly. For an exchanger, I'd pick up a cheap Sheraton Dessert Oasis 2 bdm. on ebay - much lower upfront cost and maintenance fees. See the ebay sales database in the Owner Resources sticky at the top of the page for resale prices.

Last edited:

Camster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response

I appreciate the help. Would you happen to know, does the SVN and Option Points transfer happen with closing or do I have to notify Starwood and enroll/register it after the fact?

Also, I was thinking along the same lines regarding the cost of WKV versus SDO, but we'll probably actually want to spend some time in Scottsdale.

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used an RCI trade from another timeshare company to stay at Sheraton Desert Oasis three years ago. We decided to take the Starwood tour at SDO and the sales rep also tried to tell us that SVN would not transfer if we bought WKV resale. Fortunately, I had been reading this forum and told her I thought she was wrong. She brought in the sales manager and he repeated the same story. I told him I thought he was wrong. He went off to double check, and lo and behold he confirmed that indeed WKV was a mandatory resort and SVN exchange privileges did transfer on a resale purchase. He apologized and said that he knew SVN did not transfer with an SDO resale purchase and assumed the same was true with Westin Kierland. I suspect he just lied to me.

We took the $100 gift card and wound up buying WKV resale - in fact we now have two Platinum weeks there - one 2 BR L/O and one 1 BR Premium. With each purchase we asked the seller to make a reservation for us prior to the closing. After closing we called Starwood and had the reservation put in our name. The letter we received both times from Starwood clearly stated that there is a mandatory SVN membership fee which is inseparable from our ownership at Westin Kierland. And this SVN membership entitles us to trade through the SVN or through II. We bought at Kierland because we really wanted to go there every March, but this year we couldn't get away at that time. So we exchanged through SVN and will be going to WKORV-N on Maui in December.

We really like the point systems that Starwood and Wyndham (we also own at Royal Vista in Pompano Beach) have for exchanging within their own networks. External exchanges like RCI or II cost more and we have found it can be rather hit or miss as to what you get. For example, for us to get the SDO exchange in March through RCI we had to start a search well over a year in advance and all we could get was the smaller side of the lock-off. Trading in network with Starwood or Wyndham has been relatively easy in our experience. I subscribe to the timeshare adage that it is best to own someplace where you would like to go frequently and also to own someplace which is part of a good internal exchange network. I view RCI or II as the last option for using points that I can't use any other way - they are good for extending the lifetime of points that might otherwise expire.

Doug

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I appreciate the help. Would you happen to know, does the SVN and Option Points transfer happen with closing or do I have to notify Starwood and enroll/register it after the fact?

The transfer is automatic. Remember it is Staroptions, not points - Starpoints are Starwood hotel points.

Also, I was thinking along the same lines regarding the cost of WKV versus SDO, but we'll probably actually want to spend some time in Scottsdale.

SDO is in Scottsdale, too.

Camster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Terminology... ahhh!

Right... Star Options. The terminology gets confusing very quickly... but I understand there are no Star Points on a resale.

Thanks dcdowden and Denise M for the help... and I may have some more questions before all of this is done.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Right... Star Options. The terminology gets confusing very quickly... but I understand there are no Star Points on a resale.

Thanks dcdowden and Denise M for the help... and I may have some more questions before all of this is done.

We love to answer questions, but don't forget to check out the FAQ at the top of the page for a good introduction to how Starwood works! :hi:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
"The terminology gets confusing very quickly... but I understand there are no Star Points on a resale"

The terminology is confusing. Staroptions are your "money" to use to buy a week at your home resort or another Starwood Vacation Ownership resort (like Harborside or Hawaii or Cancun) if you buy at Kierland. That is because Kierland is a "mandatory" resort. The Staroptions can be used at any Starwood resort.

Starpoints are given out as a "bonus" or an incentive when the developer sells a unit. Strapoints can be redeemed at any Starwood hotel. Those Starpoints given to a purchaser by the developer do not transfer when the property is resold. Moreover, if you purchase from the developer, you can (within the complicated rules) change your Staroptions into a reduced number of Starpoints. But, in general, you cannot do this if you buy on the resale market.

I am an owner at Kierland Villas and I'm there now and will be there all this week. I am playing in the SVOpen this week. IMO, Kierland is a great place to vacation, and even more so in Platinum season. If you need to reach me I am in Room 6303.

I would buy at Kierland in the season you want to vacation on the open market and, if you ever feel the need to convert Staroptions into Starpoints (or work for increased benefits from 4 or 5 Star Elite), buy a unit from the developer and "retro" the week previously purchased on the resale market.

GLTY. :whoopie:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi jarta - you almost have it right. ;) A developer week owner can convert their week directly into Starpoints, if they so choose. But if they convert to Staroptions, they would no longer have the option to convert to Starpoints.

Good luck in your tourney!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welcome to our newest MEMBER, Camster! :clap:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Welcome to TUG Camster - as I say often - WKV Platinum is a best buy for resale SVO if Starwood works for you.

We own two platinum 1Bd premium weeks at WKV.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am having a brain shortage.

Which 2 phases of SVV are Mandatory again?

By the way, we need to update the FAQ because it says all of SVV and I know that's wrong. :)

Katherine

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am having a brain shortage.

Which 2 phases of SVV are Mandatory again?

By the way, we need to update the FAQ because it says all of SVV and I know that's wrong. :)

Katherine

This is what the FAQ actually says, is it wrong?

8) What do Mandatory and Voluntary mean?

a. If a resort is Staroption "Mandatory," it means that when the week is sold to a new owner (resale) the Staroption value of the week transfers to the new owner, and the new owner has the right to exchange his timeshare in the Starwood Vacation Network. These resorts are Staroption Mandatory:

* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (except Amelia & St. Augustine)
* Westin St. John (except Bay Vista)
* Westin Ka'anapali & Westin Ka'anapali-North
* Westin Kierland Villas

Politico

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it should read: "Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only)" . I think, as currently phrased, it's in the negative, which makes it a little harder to read, especially for newbies like me :). Also, as I understand it, Starwood is only building voluntary resort from here out. So, the mandatory sections at SVV are unlikely to change even with new development.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it would be better to put the 2 phases that ARE M since many new ones will be built, all of which are V. Katherine

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Katherine

Revised - But just to clarify - it wasn't "wrong." :D

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Did you optimize the one for WSJ also...?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Bill4728

Reaction score
3. I think WKV is too expensive to use as an exchanger. I wouldn't buy there unless I wanted to go there regularly. For an exchanger, I'd pick up a cheap Sheraton Dessert Oasis 2 bdm. on ebay - much lower upfront cost and maintenance fees. See the ebay sales database in the Owner Resources sticky at the top of the page for resale prices.

Denise,

You're not saying that WKV is too expensive to use in SVN but is too expensive to use as a trader in II? Correct?

I've read that WKV is one of the best priced "M' resorts for the price and also the MFs. Isn't that true?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise,

You're not saying that WKV is too expensive to use in SVN but is too expensive to use as a trader in II? Correct?

Yes, WKV is much more expensive than the "V" resorts, so for a II trader, I'd buy a "V" resort.

I've read that WKV is one of the best priced "M' resorts for the price and also the MFs. Isn't that true?

Maintenance fees for standard 2 bdm. M resorts from the Developer Prices in Owner Resources (2009?):

Harborside Atlantis $2,433 - Staroptions - 148,100

WKORV-N $1,768 - Staroptions - 148,100

WSJ $1,631 - Staroptions - 148,100

SVV: Bella $1,232 Key West $1,321 - Staroptions - 95,700

Not in current sales so amount from 2008 MF thread in Owner Resources:

WKORV: $1,599 - Staroptions - 148,100

WKV: $1,207 - Staroptions - 148,100

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John (Virgin Grand - Hillside)

David - Virgin Grand is the former name - correct?

How about - Westin St. John/Virgin Grand (Hillside Phase Only)

BradC

Reaction score
David - Virgin Grand is the former name - correct?

How about - Westin St. John/Virgin Grand (Hillside Phase Only)
I think Virgin Grand was the original name of the hillside timeshares, but not sure if that name was ever used for the adjacent hotel.

The Staroptions chart on mystarcentral uses "Virgin Grand" to identify the original hillside section units, and "Bay Vista" for the newer hotel conversion units.

So I'd say "Westin St John (Virgin Grand - Hillside)" is the appropriate designation for the original phase.