• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

St Thomas Boating Trips

Dolphin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doing some planning for ST Thomas at Frenchmen Cove... I would like to take a day trip over to the Baths and Caves at Virgin Gorda. Looking for some suggestions from others who might have done such an adventure, including some snorkeling while over there.

Thanks in advance.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I posted about THIS one in a recent thread.

Palmtreelady1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We rented a boat for the day and it was awesome! There were 8 of us and we could go where we wanted on our schedule. We asked the desk for some suggestions and they were great! I also looked up on tripadvisor as well for names of charters. It was cheaper and we had more options this way. You can do a half day or full day.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We rented a boat for the day and it was awesome! There were 8 of us and we could go where we wanted on our schedule. We asked the desk for some suggestions and they were great! I also looked up on tripadvisor as well for names of charters. It was cheaper and we had more options this way. You can do a half day or full day.

Who did you end up Using?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
About 12 years ago we did a "one day" excursion (thru Frenchman's Reef Hotel's concierge) which hired a boat all to ourselves with captain and mate on a 50-ft Sea Ray, and we went wherever we wanted. We left from the docks at St. Thomas.

Since I'd been to VI before, I knew where I wanted to go----- St John, Tortola, Norman Island, Virgin Gorda. We visited the Baths, Cruz Bay, caves of Norman Island where we snorkeled, the shipwreck of The Rhone where we snorkeled, and other great beaches, Stanley's Welcome Bar in Cane Garden Bay (Tortola), and several other spots. They served a great brunch and a late afternoon dinner, and had drinks and snacks available all day. We left just after sunrise and rode back in just after sunset. We traveled from USVI, into BVI waters where we stopped to get legal passage, and back into USVI and St. Thomas.

We had "the best day our family has ever had", according to each member----(kids were teenagers then). To this day we still talk about "that day". It could not have been any nicer or more beautiful. We saw the Virgin Isles "the right way", and on our terms. I remember the captain's name was Tom and mate was Beth (whoa!). Our cost was $1600 but that's long forgotten and the memory was absolutely worth every penny. Cannot remember the name of the company. We elected to have "no alcohol", which was an option which cut the cost $200-300. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

(The only thing I'd compare it to would be our "day in Paris"-----a one-day excursion via the Eurostar from London to Paris----spending all day in Paris, seeing everything we wanted to---- did bus tour of entire city, walked to and lingered at Eiffel Tower, walked to Arc de Triomphe, walked along entire Champs Elysees, spent 4 hours in the Louvre, walked along the Seine a while----- then back to London. Another great day in our family's travels. Those 2 special days will forever stand out and will always be cherished.)

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
About 12 years ago we did a "one day" excursion (thru Frenchman's Reef Hotel's concierge) which hired a boat all to ourselves with captain and mate on a 50-ft Sea Ray, and we went wherever we wanted. We left from the docks at St. Thomas.

Since I'd been to VI before, I knew where I wanted to go----- St John, Tortola, Norman Island, Virgin Gorda. We visited the Baths, Cruz Bay, caves of Norman Island where we snorkeled, the shipwreck of The Rhone where we snorkeled, and other great beaches, Stanley's Welcome Bar in Cane Garden Bay (Tortola), and several other spots. They served a great brunch and a late afternoon dinner, and had drinks and snacks available all day. We left just after sunrise and rode back in just after sunset. We traveled from USVI, into BVI waters where we stopped to get legal passage, and back into USVI and St. Thomas.

We had "the best day our family has ever had", according to each member----(kids were teenagers then). To this day we still talk about "that day". It could not have been any nicer or more beautiful. We saw the Virgin Isles the right way", and on our terms. I remember the captain's name was Tom and mate was Beth (whoa!). Our cost was $1600 but that's long forgotten and the memory was absolutely worth every penny. Cannot remember the name of the company. We elected to have "no alcohol", which was an option which cut the cost $200-300. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Marty...that's the way I would do it as well. Sounds similar to what our kids did, but without the other 10 people on the boat, which they actually enjoyed. :D My daughters boyfriend still texts a local he met on the boat that was a NY Football Giants hater (dd's boyfriend is a huge Giants fan) so they found "uncommon" ground to harass each other over. But I, like you, would go the private route. Either way, the sights would be awesome and it sounds like a great day!!!

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had Captain Mike with Nauti Nymph in January. We were with our son, dIL, a two year old and a four year old. The kids were great and Mike took us any place we wished and had some suggestions.

josh1231

TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to these great suggestions, you should check out Privateer Charters. Great boat trip that won't break the bank. We've went with him several times, and its been great every time.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a private charter for 8? Must have a bathroom.

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used Pirates Penny a couple of years ago and they were great. That said, if money is not a factor I would charter my own boat with a captain, especially if you were traveling with more than four people.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have done charters with Pirate's Penny once and Big Blue twice. We really enjoyed both, but I think the edge goes to Big Blue. Each charter has been unique and wonderful. Absolutely worth the cost. Either company will take you wherever you want to go.