• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SSDI Disability Story

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know we discussed social security disability a few months back and I thought I would share our experience. My husband applied to SS in February on the basis of schizophrenia. He had been off work since having another breakdown early in January and we (him, his doctor and myself) agreed that his condition was making it impossible to work.

Anyway I took the advice of several people on TUG and found a disability lawyer right from the beginning. He gave us a form for the psychiatrist to fill out and basically held our hand through the process. He told us that only 25% of cases are approved in the first review (which takes 3-6 months) and that he believed that we had a good chance of being in the 25%.

This week we received a letter that he was being awarded disability. We are so relieved. The rule is that you must be disabled (and not working) for 5 months before receiving benefits. So the first month of benefits will be August. Since the lawyer gets the first month's benefits for his fee, we will start receiving benefits in September.

The lawyer's fee seems reasonable to us. We might have had the same results if we hadn't hired a lawyer but we are glad we did.

Anyway as you can imagine this has been a very stressful process, dh being unable to work, financial issues, etc. It is a relief to have it over with and to feel like we had someone in our corner.

The next step is to file for benefits for DD. Apparently she is eligible for an amount equal to 1/2 of his benefit until she is 18 (December). This will go a long way towards college expenses (she starts in August).

So, just wanted you all to know it is possible! There are all kinds of conditions and I'm sure they are all looked at a little differently.

But that's my story.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Actually your daughter gets benefits until she is 18 or graduates from high school whichever comes later. I believe that SS automatically takes care of getting the benefits for her. Also your husband will receive Medicare coverage after 1 year of receiving disability.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very happy for your happy ending. All the best to you and your family.

dwojo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If your husband was enrolled in a defined benefit pension plan from his former employer look into collecting that as well. My employer lets employees who are awarded Social Security Disability benefits to retire early and collect the pension benefits they are due.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your husband was enrolled in a defined benefit pension plan from his former employer look into collecting that as well. My employer lets employees who are awarded Social Security Disability benefits to retire early and collect the pension benefits they are due.

That is a great benefit. Actually he had not been in his job very long and we took out the accumulation to help with finances while he is not working. But he already receives military retirement, which will continue along with the disability payments.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing. Many will remember the lengthy discussion of DD's potential disability application. All that is on hold for now, as we continue to seek medical opinions, but we are keeping the disability option in mind.

I'm so glad your husband's application was successful, and hope that this will help with some of the many stresses related to his disability!

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two things I want to mention regarding daughter and college:

1. there are scholarships for children of with parent's with disabilities. My daughter graduates this year and when I was looking at the list that the school sent, there was a real easy one where you just had to write an essay on living with a parent with a disability. I know the due date for this particular one was back in Nov, but there may be other out there.

2. for the poster who's daughter may have a disability, we just recently found out that our daughter, who has a learning disability, qualifies for help through the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation. The college she applied to told us about this and when my husband inquired, we were told that as long as she has an IEP she would qualify for something. The maximum is $2500 per year. The OVR rep also said that even if she doesn't qualify for financial help, she is automatically eligible for a free laptop. The OVR rep went to her school and met with her. Now she doesn't have a severe learning disability (unlike our younger daughter), but they are assuring us that she will get some aide. I personally will believe it when I see it, but they keep assuring us. It is just something to look into.

One of my biggest complaints about dealing with disabilities is that you have to pull teeth to find out what you or your children are eligible for. Everything is a big secret.