• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Splitting up of 3BR Grande Vista

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've looked at the official floor plan but not sure how a lock off can be split. Can it be split multiple ways? Or just a 2 br and a studio? Or a 1 br and 2 studios?

Thank you for any explanations you can provide

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I've looked at the official floor plan but not sure how a lock off can be split. Can it be split multiple ways? Or just a 2 br and a studio? Or a 1 br and 2 studios?

Thank you for any explanations you can provide

2BR and a studio is the only option.

ETA, there is a round about way you can get a 1BR and two studios through the Florida Club. But I think you take a huge trading hit with two studios. Best to keep the 2BR and studio.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if I want to stay in my home resort, it could be 1 week in the 3 bedroom, stay 2 weeks, 1 in the studio, one in the 2 bedroom. I could stay a week in the 2 bedroom and trade the studio in II or FC for a studio elsewhere.......

Is a 3 bedroom likely to get a smaller unit in a prime place if we can travel off season and in a 1 bedroom, if we chose to deposit with II?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
So if I want to stay in my home resort, it could be 1 week in the 3 bedroom, stay 2 weeks, 1 in the studio, one in the 2 bedroom.
Yes, that's right. The two reservations are completely independent and you can use or book them anyway you like. You can do this in one phone call (as you split the lockoff and pay the $80) or split them and book them separately (or deposit one etc...)

I could stay a week in the 2 bedroom and trade the studio in II or FC for a studio elsewhere.......
Once the units are locked-off, they are two completely separate units. Reserve one or both for use. Reserve one and deposit one. Deposit both. If you want to make a Florida club reservation (with one or both) you can do that as well. Your unit can be reserved/deposited up to 12 months out (assuming you only own 1 Marriott). The Florida club reservation can be made at 6 months out (7 months if you own two Marriott weeks etc..). I booked my studio into Beachplace at 5 months for March spring break week and then deposited. Good trader

Is a 3 bedroom likely to get a smaller unit in a prime place if we can travel off season and in a 1 bedroom, if we chose to deposit with II?
I'm sorry; I don't understand your question fully, but... The MGR 3br is a very powerful trader in II and so is the 2br. You would probably see a desired exchange quicker or in a more prime week with 3br vs 2br, but both are very strong. It will 'see' most any Marriott available (and lots of other very good properties as well). A Marriott deposit in II has 'Marriott Preference' and sees other Marriott deposits with (up to) 24 days of preference before non-Marriotts (in most cases). The 3br should show studios, 1br, 2br, 3br, 4br etc... If you lock-off the units, the 2br portion of the lockoff will show many Marriotts (maybe not all) depending on the strength of the week that you book. If you reserve your 2br Marriott lockoff in a very high TDI week before you deposit with II (you should always pick your own week--ask TUGGERS for help picking if needed) it will show very strong exchange weeks (studio, 1br, 2br, 3br). If you also deposit your Marriott studio in II, it will show Marriott trades with preference, but you will not see all of the weeks that you will with the 2br or the 3br. In flex, you will (probably) see the same thing with both 2br and studio. Flex normally has Marriott pref (group opinion) but only for a few (2-3) days.

Today, with my Marriott 2br MGR deposit, on instant exchange in II, I can see Marriotts in Spain, Caribbean, Newport, Hawaii, Palm Desert etc... Pretty much any where you want to travel--especially in shoulder season. The on-going search (OGS) would be much stronger, given enough time.

A third possibility you didn't mention: Lock-off, deposit both units in II, book a nice 2br in a prime resort with the 2br and then book another week in the same resort or another very close by (think Hawaii) with your studio via OGS or a quick grab during flex. Or, grab a nice unit that you can afford to travel to on short notice with the studio during flex--there are no size limitations to flexchange.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: