• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Spinnaker Exit Program

kendeutsch

TUG Member
Reaction score
My 85 year old widowed mother is trying to unload her 3 bedroom, week 5 Southwind Villa timeshare. I called Spinniker to inquire about a deed buyback and was told that they have an exit program for qualified individuals. To get information, my mother would need to call or write. I prepared an information request letter for her signature and mailed to the address they provided. Today my mother received a phone call from Spinniker. Based on age, she qualifies for the exit program. The Spinniker representative indicated that she needs to send $1500 and they will process a a quick deed form (??) for her completion. She will also eventually get billed for legal fees in the amount of about $120.

I am hesitant to advise her to send a check or provide credit card information based on this limited information. Has anyone heard of, or participated in, such an exit program? Does anyone have any suggestions on protecting the financial payment to ensure we have some legal recourse if all is not what it seems.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My 85 year old widowed mother is trying to unload her 3 bedroom, week 5 Southwind Villa timeshare. I called Spinniker to inquire about a deed buyback and was told that they have an exit program for qualified individuals. To get information, my mother would need to call or write. I prepared an information request letter for her signature and mailed to the address they provided. Today my mother received a phone call from Spinniker. Based on age, she qualifies for the exit program. The Spinniker representative indicated that she needs to send $1500 and they will process a a quick deed form (??) for her completion. She will also eventually get billed for legal fees in the amount of about $120.

I am hesitant to advise her to send a check or provide credit card information based on this limited information. Has anyone heard of, or participated in, such an exit program? Does anyone have any suggestions on protecting the financial payment to ensure we have some legal recourse if all is not what it seems.

I know nothing about Spinnaker Resorts. That said, I am frankly a bit troubled by "send us $1,500 based solely upon this phone call and we'll take care of everything".

This might very well be a complete legitimate opportunity to part with the ownership via "deedback", lawfully accomplished by a Quit Claim deed.
Frankly, $1,500 is not an unreasonable or outrageous amount of money to do so either --- if it gets the job done to completion and with no other hitches.

Personally, I'd prefer to see something in writing from Spinnaker about the precise details of this "opportunity", in large part just to make sure that there isn't some third party "hand-off" involved (to a PostCard company merely obtaining a PoA to peddle the timeshare, for example --- which could delay, impede and / or fail to guarantee the actual completion of an ownership transfer after having already and irretrievably ponied up $1,500).

My suggestion would be for you to call Spinnaker back on Mom's behalf (or maybe set up a 3 way call) before she sends off any money, in order to obtain a more clear and specific description of this apparent "deedback program" and to specifically inquire if anything will be provided in writing from Spinnaker addressing pertinent details.
You should be able to gain (or perhaps lose) some comfort level after having that conversation. At 85, I'd be concerned that Mom might be a bit too trusting of some nice, pleasant voice on the phone; she might well benefit from your more objective involvement and advocacy. Get details of this alleged "deedback opportunity" in writing.

Just my personal opinion, not intended or offered as legal advice.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I would tend to believe the $1500 is legit because $1500 for an annual deed ($750 for a biennial) is what they charge when transferring a dead to a new owner. When you are transferring to a new owner the fee goes toward future MF's so depending on the MF it usually 1.5-2 years of MF for the new owner.

That being said I would ask Spinnaker to send a copy of the offer which states upon paying the fee and completing the quit claim deed and returning it to Spinnaker within x days the transfer would be complete and the current owner would have not future liabilities.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
For a very low demand week, $1500 plus minimal legal fees is reasonable, IMHO. Given that the HOA/management company offers this and that there is no middle man, I would have confidence that it is legit (and that the resort is going to approve the transfer--obviously). If your Mom has no need for her week (I assume trading power is very low), I would ask them to send the paperwork in writing and do it. It is good that they offer this for elderly. Taking back a low demand week is essentially a liability for others in the HOA. So, $1500 to offset this seems fair to me. I own a another HHI Spinnaker property. They are a legit operation, IMHO. good luck. Elaine

Last edited:

Heron

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is legit. I deeded a week back to Spinnaker after no takers on tug. I communicated through email with Spinnaker which made me feel more comfortable than via the phone though.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
hefty price, but nice to see another major developer offering an official deedback program.

kendeutsch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Follow-up

As the originator of this thread I wanted o follow-up. My mother submitted the requested $1500 and in a few days she had a quick deed that she had to sign and have notarized. That was sent back with $125 to cover legal processing. Since it had been about 10 weeks and we had not received any reply or acknowledgement, we called to inquire. She was told that she is no longer the owner and her account has been closed. She is very happy that a stress has been eliminated.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
My mother submitted the requested $1500 and in a few days she had a quick deed that she had to sign and have notarized. That was sent back with $125 to cover legal processing....She was told that she is no longer the owner and her account has been closed.

That's good to hear. When I hear and read stories like this, I like to repeat, that is a lot less than what one would pay a charity, PCC, or law firm to supposedly cancel a timeshare.:whoopie:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
glad it worked out for her. When I deeded a week back to another resort, I asked for a letter stating that I was no longer the owner and had no ongoing legal or financial obligations. You might want to request one for your records. Elaine

ralvarez1721

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spinnaker Palace View
I have a Spinnaker property i'd like to get rid of but i'm only 61 do you think I can get it?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
call and ask, costs nothing to try!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Spinnaker property i'd like to get rid of but i'm only 61 do you think I can get it?

Age has nothing to do with it. As TUG Brian suggested above, call and try. It's usually suggested that when you call, you contact the resort's Homeowners' Association rather than a front desk clerk. Also, mention in no uncertain terms that you are not going to pay another dime in MFs so it would be best for everyone that the HOA take your timeshare back.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
Have you considered simply giving it away to someone instead of handing it back? There are many TS units disposed of that way through the “Free Timeshare Giveaway and Bargain Deals” section of this forum. Of course, the unit would need to be free of all loans and up to date on MF. Depending on where your unit is located and what week/size, this might be a viable option.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Have you considered simply giving it away to someone instead of handing it back? There are many TS units disposed of that way through the “Free Timeshare Giveaway and Bargain Deals” section of this forum. Of course, the unit would need to be free of all loans and up to date on MF. Depending on where your unit is located and what week/size, this might be a viable option.
As mentioned Spinnaker requires a $1500 transfer fee for annual weeks and $750 for EOY , that goes toward future MF's, plus a $150 ish fee to the management company plus closing and recording fees and they require the new owner to submit to a credit check. They have some nice resorts in Hilton Head but it isn't as easy as being up to date and giving it away where the new owner (or the current owner) pays a fairly modest fee. The new owner also has to keep in mind that when they no longer want, they will have to jump through the same hoops to get out. Owners are also competing with post card companies selling on ebay where the new owner can still pay $1 and get 1 or more years free usage because the old owner paid thousands to cover those fees already. And that is if you own in a premium season. If you own mid or off season you probably have to pay even more incentive to find a taker.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
let us know how it turns out. HHI is high demand and is popular in almost all months except maybe Dec-early Feb. I don't know why Spinnaker doesn't take back fully paid weeks. It's not like some NC resorts that have multiple "off" months. I don't know if they're still in active sales of floating weeks. If so, it's free inventory for them.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
As mentioned Spinnaker requires a $1500 transfer fee for annual weeks and $750 for EOY , that goes toward future MF's, plus a $150 ish fee to the management company plus closing and recording fees and they require the new owner to submit to a credit check. They have some nice resorts in Hilton Head but it isn't as easy as being up to date and giving it away where the new owner (or the current owner) pays a fairly modest fee. The new owner also has to keep in mind that when they no longer want, they will have to jump through the same hoops to get out. Owners are also competing with post card companies selling on ebay where the new owner can still pay $1 and get 1 or more years free usage because the old owner paid thousands to cover those fees already. And that is if you own in a premium season. If you own mid or off season you probably have to pay even more incentive to find a taker.
Agreed, it is a bit more complicated than simply signing a sales agreement for a buck. But if Spinnaker is charging $1500 to get out of the deed, perhaps the OP could find someone who desires that week/location that would cover the closing or a bit more more and take it away. I haven’t heard about the credit check issue as that would be unusual when they are not the seller. I purchased 2 Spinnaker properties in the past few years and Spinnaker’s only real involvement was creating my account, they had nothing to do with the actual sale other than issuing the estoppel and asking for their $1500 ( which is 100% applied to the MF bill).

Anyway, I hope the OP finds a way to their desired solution without any significant hoops to jump through.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
let us know how it turns out. HHI is high demand and is popular in almost all months except maybe Dec-early Feb. I don't know why Spinnaker doesn't take back fully paid weeks. It's not like some NC resorts that have multiple "off" months. I don't know if they're still in active sales of floating weeks. If so, it's free inventory for them.
From what I’ve heard around the HHI Spinnaker properties is that they are using the weeks that are deeded back as part of the sales process at their Bluewater resort on the island. They are apparently converting them to RCI points new buyers at Bluewater are sold these as a way to bolster the inventory. I don’t know this 100% but that is what I was told when there last fall. It would make sense though since they are still quite active in promoting the “owners update” tours and bussing everyone over to Bluewater for the pitch.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
then one would think they'd he happy to get free inventory of fully paid weeks.
we did the update a few years ago--it wasn't bad. they were giving a full credit for prior Spinnaker TS purchase price to upgrade to Bluewater. The salesman saw what we paid (resale) and said, "you got a great deal, you should just keep your week."

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's been about 4-5 years ago since I gave away a Waterside week so they may have dropped the credit check. I know the person I was giving it away to was a little worried because they didn't have stellar credit and I was told by Spinnaker that they weren't looking for excellent credit, they just didn't want poor credit and they didn't want to see other timeshare defaults. It was a way to make sure they weren't transferring to someone who makes a business out of accepting timeshares and then defaulting on them. They don't accept transfers to LLC's which are primarily associated with Viking ship companies.

lkc1234

TUG Member
Reaction score

Spinnaker does provide a buyback program and this sounds legitimate. They are an above board organization. I would pay by credit card just in case there is a hitch. I recently purchased a 3BR unit at Bluewater from a friend and I had to send $1500 to Bluewater for future maintenance fees. That now has been posted on their owners website along with my contract.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spinnaker does provide a buyback program and this sounds legitimate. They are an above board organization. I would pay by credit card just in case there is a hitch. I recently purchased a 3BR unit at Bluewater from a friend and I had to send $1500 to Bluewater for future maintenance fees. That now has been posted on their owners website along with my contract.
Enjoy. I would love an EOY 3BR at Bluewater but have a few too many that I need to give away first.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Just my opinion but at age 85, I would have just walked and kept the $1,625.

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont

I would not call that a buyback program. I helped my neighbor give away his Spinnaker timeshare to a friend of mine a couple of years ago.

This is how it works. $1,500 is required up front to transfer the title to another owner and we used LT Transfers. $1,050 goes toward future maitenance fees and $450 goes to the HOA. With the cost of recording fees, I think the total cost to give it away to my friend was around $1,800.

My idea of a buyback is a program where you can give your week back to the developer. I did that with HICV and my cost was $30 total.

lkc1234

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not call that a buyback program. I helped my neighbor give away his Spinnaker timeshare to a friend of mine a couple of years ago.

This is how it works. $1,500 is required up front to transfer the title to another owner and we used LT Transfers. $1,050 goes toward future maitenance fees and $450 goes to the HOA. With the cost of recording fees, I think the total cost to give it away to my friend was around $1,800.

My idea of a buyback is a program where you can give your week back to the developer. I did that with HICV and my cost was $30 total.
The $1500 goes to future maintenance fees. I have bought at Bluewater and the $1500 went directly to my future maintenance fees.