• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG status

slomac

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe x2

Grand Pacific Palisades

Marriott Shadow Ridge

SDO

Kauai Beach Villas
So I charged more than $30,000 this year on my AMEX SPG card so I am updgraded for the next year. Does anyone know what that means and what the new status will give me?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It gives you gold status in the hotel system - nothing in the timeshare system. Unfortunately, gold is so widespread that the benefits are minimal. Although, they seem to be more valuable for foreign Starwood hotel travel, than domestically.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
You get 3 SPs per dollar spent on the SPG AMEX for Starwood-related charges. Preferred members only get 2. That can be valuable, especially for those who are paying big chunks of change in MFs.

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
You get 3 SPs per dollar spent on the SPG AMEX for Starwood-related charges. Preferred members only get 2. That can be valuable, especially for those who are paying big chunks of change in MFs.

This only applies to charges "On-Site" - Your AMEX will only give you 2x times for Starwood related charges and MF's. The 3 SP's applies to money spent on property for room cost, food and beverages and comes from Starwood, not SPG. So you can earn 5x points if you use your AMEX on site...but will only earn 2x on the AMEX monthly billing.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This only applies to charges "On-Site" - Your AMEX will only give you 2x times for Starwood related charges and MF's. The 3 SP's applies to money spent on property for room cost, food and beverages and comes from Starwood, not SPG. So you can earn 5x points if you use your AMEX on site...but will only earn 2x on the AMEX monthly billing.

Yes, thanks for the correction. You will earn 5x each dollar spent at Starwood properties if you use your SPG AMEX (2x from AMEX and 3x from Starwood) for on-site spending, such as restaurants, marketplaces and activities. You will only earn 2x each dollar spent on MFs if you use your AMEX card. It doesn't matter what elite level you are.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
2x for paying MFs.

SPG Gold does have value (even domestically) based on my 1st hand experience - although limited. For us this has come in terms of room/location upgrades for local stays (Westin Napa Verasa and Sheraton Petaluma) - not just ex-US stays. And checkout times (although may have gotten late checkout anyway...)
{sorry to repeat this, but feel the need to defend against blanket statements often made here on TUG}

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Since DH got promoted a year ago, he has to travel, and I was hoping that he would see some benefit from our Gold SPG status, but so far, it doesn't seem to make any difference. Maybe because he is staying in business oriented locations, rather then vacation type destinations.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
In addition to the early check-in, late check-out, free drink, room upgrade, and other things mentioned - we usually have our parking comped, which is quite a bit at the Disney Swan. Our room upgrade gets us a balcony with a fireworks view. We don't get the parking at the westin Key West, but we do at some places.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have gotten something special at each Starwood hotel stay I've experienced since SPG gold. Whether a small type of room upgrade, free wifi, or a free bar drink. Probably worth $10-$100/stay. Nice perk :)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
{sorry to repeat this, but feel the need to defend against blanket statements often made here on TUG}

Nicely said.

I received several domestic room upgrades, club floor access, breakfast vouchers, etc. when I had gold. Also, many times I only got points. YMMV.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I don't recall receiving any significant benefits when I was Gold, but have gotten some real value out of being Plat. The free breakfast at The Equinox Resort in Manchester, VT was one of the more remarkable. You could choose between eating in the restaurant or ordering room service, and everything including gratuity was included. When we went with our kids, they usually even comped the kids breakfasts. That's about a $50-70 value per night.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
You now have gold benefits for Starwood hotel stays as Denise mentioned! Here is a list of benefits: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/pref...language=en_US&categoryId=brand.benefits.gold

The benefits I really appreciate are the bonus starpoints, as well as guarenteed late checkout and room upgrades.

I think it really depends upon the particular hotel on what they'll give for gold benefits. Here's a slightly different twist. When we bought our TS, only DH was a starwood spg member at the time. I was not. During the summer I reserved 2 hotel rooms in Japan for 4 people, using DH's spg points. On registration, the hotel would only let DH put his name on one room, so I put mine on the other.

When we later asked for late checkout, just one hour past normal check-out time, hotel staff said they could only do it on just the room DH registered for. Would not do it on the room I signed for because I was not gold in the system!
They could see the points all came from his account, but they wouldn't budge!

I called Starwood after our trip and got an spg gold account, presumably because my name is on the TS deed too. But I had to ask, they didn't do it automatically for both of us when we bought our TS.

Last edited:

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Domestically, I wouldn't expect much more than a minor room upgrade (better view or better location). Internationally, Gold will often get you a nice upgrade. We used points for a stay at the Hotel Danieli in Venice a few years ago. As others have said, Platinum is where you see the biggest difference with Starwood, but actual results vary.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Domestically, I wouldn't expect much more than a minor room upgrade (better view or better location). Internationally, Gold will often get you a nice upgrade. We used points for a stay at the Hotel Danieli in Venice a few years ago. As others have said, Platinum is where you see the biggest difference with Starwood, but actual results vary.

^^^^^
Danieli has very nice Plat perks.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Is this thread going to go tangent on the benefits of Plat over Gold? aka FlyerTalk boasting...

The point was that Gold has value (and people like me have received perks - sometimes significant both domestically and internationally). of course benefits/experiences are variable, and Plat>Gold

Neither are free

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As a gold member, how much do you have to push to get benefits? Do you ask for them? If you get nothing do you push for something?

I doubt if my husband ever even references his gold status at check-in. But I'm not sure if he would be willing to do so.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As a gold member, how much do you have to push to get benefits? Do you ask for them? If you get nothing do you push for something?

I've always received some sort of recognition, even if it's a "I see you're a gold elite member." I've received a few nice upgrades as gold over the years, but I don't travel a lot so I don't have a lot of data to go on.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score

I doubt if my husband ever even references his gold status at check-in. But I'm not sure if he would be willing to do so.

I actually never think to remember it, but then they usually acknowledge it at check in. The first experience was in Paris and they upgraded me one room category. Since then I'm either offered points and/or some other freebie or fee waived. Again, no big deal but great customer service. It's not something I would pay for, however.

I believe Starwood does such a great job with branding themselves, from the type of hotel through to their representation of their brand through CS.