• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG Luxury card

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Thanks for mentioning LisaRex. The article below indicates that AMEX doesn't typically do a hard pull but we will double-check the specific terms of this offer to confirm.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/everything-want-know-american-express-upgrade-offers/

BTW...onerous terms below. Looks like we won't be able to downgrade or cancel if it doesn't work for us until after the second anniversary. Hope the AMEX SPG $95 card will still be around to downgrade; hope this is not a one way upgrade:

"If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome offer(s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit bonus points to your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us."

That's not onerous! It's reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
Thanks for mentioning LisaRex. The article below indicates that AMEX doesn't typically do a hard pull but we will double-check the specific terms of this offer to confirm.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/everything-want-know-american-express-upgrade-offers/

BTW...onerous terms below. Looks like we won't be able to downgrade or cancel if it doesn't work for us until after the second anniversary. Hope the AMEX SPG $95 card will still be around to downgrade; hope this is not a one way upgrade:

"If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome offer(s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit bonus points to your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us."

The only part about this that MIGHT be deemed onerous, IMO, is the part about "in our sole discretion ...". The rest of it seems reasonable to me - if customers adhere to the rules, they receive benefits; if they break the rules, they get punished.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
I'm not sure if its targeted or not, but on the updated SPG ap on my iphone, I get the 100k upgrade offer. I'm a relatively new SPG card owner and I've only used it for vistana payments so its not like I'm a big customer for this card.

related to the topic, I think after my anniversary (and free night), I'm probably gonna cancel and go for the lower Marriott card after 90 days if they are still offering 75k point bonus for their $95 card since they both do 6x points (I think). I don't/won't use these cards for regular spend and frequently stay at lower category places on short trips, so the lower AF is more attractive.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
What's onerous is that they can change their policies at any time, and you could be locked into the card AF of $450 for at least 2 anniversaries (up to $900 total).

Yes it could be net $150 each year if it works on MF which is money we would spend anyway. However if Marriott/Amex change their mind or it doesn't work, then we are in a situation of having to pay incremental $ for hotel rooms; net $900+ for 2 "luxury" 50k rooms during off season or basic hotels during peak - that's $450 a night which may or may not be good value depending on the hotel and whether you can effectively utilize a single free night given all the limitations. It's complicated and I am sure works to Marriott's benefit.

We'll take the risk and give it a try but it could be an expensive upgrade if it doesn't work on MF payments. There could also be a limited downgrade path and lock-in if the SPG Amex personal is eliminated next year. I expect AMEX would provide a different card to replace, however Citi did not offer us a different card when they transitioned Hilton to Amex because they sold the customers. Depends on what AMEX negotiates with Chase for the consumer SPG card.

This card seems riskier in terms of generating value when compared to the Hilton Aspire.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It does work for maintenance fees I have already gotten a $300 credit. Works for Marriott and Vistana.

Thanks. Hopefully they won't change this capability. If they do, the $450 card will not be worth keeping because we don't use hotel rooms much anymore and usually pay with points so the $300 credit would be incremental spend we do not need.

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Great to hear on the $300 credit, but will be curious to hear if you get the 6X points as well!

I can't imagine not getting the 6X points on the Luxury Card. I received 6X points on the regular SPG Amex for a small Vistana MF payment I made in August.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I can't imagine not getting the 6X points on the Luxury Card. I received 6X points on the regular SPG Amex for a small Vistana MF payment I made in August.

Congrats on a good move. Wish I was astute enough to have prepaid MF and gotten 3x SPG before the devaluation.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Congrats on a good move. Wish I was astute enough to have prepaid MF and gotten 3x SPG before the devaluation.

This was in August. Amex instituted the "devaluation" August 1. So what I'm saying is that there appears to be no devaluation on paying Vistana MFs even with the general overall SPG Amex devaluation. I made only a small prepayment to test the waters and see if I would receive the 6X points and I did.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great to hear on the $300 credit, but will be curious to hear if you get the 6X points as well!
that's just greedy...just being sarcastic...I may need to get this cc...

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
If I remember correctly I got 2x spg points for every dollar of paying marriott maintenance fees. Multiply each spg point by 3 and you get 6 Marriott reward points. It is the same now as you get 6x Marriott points (2x spg) for paying maintenance fee.

Did you get 3 spg points for every dollar of maintenance fee?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It was my understanding that if you paid Starwood MF with an SPG card that it would count as 6 Starpoints per $1 prior to Aug 1 2018 because it was considered an SPG hotel purchase. That would have translated to 6 x 3 = 18 Marriott Rewards. Currently people are reporting that one would get 1/3 of that = 6 Marriott Rewards. That's a 2/3 devaluation = massive.

Note: We are new to Vistana/Westin so this will be our first year paying maintenance fees via the portal, so my understanding of this could be incorrect. YMMV.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It was my understanding that if you paid Starwood MF with an SPG card that it would count as 6 Starpoints per $1 prior to Aug 1 2018 because it was considered an SPG hotel purchase. That would have translated to 6 x 3 = 18 Marriott Rewards. Currently people are reporting that one would get 1/3 of that = 6 Marriott Rewards. That's a 2/3 devaluation = massive.

Note: We are new to Vistana/Westin so this will be our first year paying maintenance fees via the portal, so my understanding of this could be incorrect. YMMV.
That is not correct. Prior to August 2018, the SPG card earned 2x SPG points for Vistana (and also Marriott) MFs and Starwood spending. 1 point for all other spending. So when those 2x points were converted to MR points, it was 6 per dollar. This was a tad better than using the Chase Marriott Rewards card that earned 5x per dollar on Marriott spending and Marriott MFs. Keep in mind that the conversion to get 6 points per dollar started only after Marriott announced the acquisition of Starwood.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks for clarifying @dioxide45. It sounded rather high to me as well. I referenced the article below and the embedded ad must have been updated to the new MR terms even though they called it Starpoints:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/maximize-starpoints-before-marriott-spg-combine/
  • Earn 6 points for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels and 2 points on all other eligible purchases."
It's nice to know that this aspect of the card has not been devalued. Plus my SPG business card now gives 4 points for restaurants, gas, wireless and shipping. I believe this was only 1 point SP = 3 points MR prior to Aug 1.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Thanks for clarifying @dioxide45. It sounded rather high to me as well. I referenced the article below and the embedded ad must have been updated to the new MR terms even though they called it Starpoints:

• Earn 6 points for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels and 2 points on all other eligible purchases."
It's nice to know that this aspect of the card has not been devalued. Plus my SPG business card now gives 4 points for restaurants, gas, wireless and shipping. I believe this was only 1 point SP = 3 points MR prior to Aug 1.

Always remember when the word "points" is used it references the new Marriott points. If referencing the older SPG points, the reference is to "Starpoints". I never remember seeing anything from Starwood/SPG just referencing "points" when Starpoints was the currency.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West

the devaluation came from the regular spend. While the 2x Starpoints changed to 6x Marriott points, the 1x SP to 2x MP for the regular spg card is where the devaluation occurred. The 4x for the business card is nice.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
the devaluation came from the regular spend. While the 2x Starpoints changed to 6x Marriott points, the 1x SP to 2x MP for the regular spg card is where the devaluation occurred. The 4x for the business card is nice.

Given the MF points are the same as consumer card and the business card has better bonuses, we would not be upgrading if my DH didn't get the 100,000 pt. bonus. If they don't pony up more value or bonus points to the Luxury card, there will be a lot of downgrades and cancellations in about 1.5 - 2 years after the initial bonus period is up because you can get most of the same benefits on the $95 cards.

Last edited:

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
the 300.00 credit for our maintenance fees and the upgraded free night are a plus for the luxury card as well. The lounge access and TSA precheck also add value. PLUS, the luxury card give 3 points per dollar spent at restaurants while the $95 card only gives 2.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Even without the ability to pay MF with the $300, I'd be surprised if many of us who frequent Vistana timeshares don't spend more than $300 in incidental expenses in a year while at the resorts.

For myself, I don't see the advantage (yet) in this card vs the ones I have (the 15,000 annual extra points for a night isn't worth the extra cost alone, at least not yet).

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Even without the ability to pay MF with the $300, I'd be surprised if many of us who frequent Vistana timeshares don't spend more than $300 in incidental expenses in a year while at the resorts.

Heck, I've spent more than that just on Tropical Monkeys!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
the 300.00 credit for our maintenance fees and the upgraded free night are a plus for the luxury card as well. The lounge access and TSA precheck also add value. PLUS, the luxury card give 3 points per dollar spent at restaurants while the $95 card only gives 2.

The SPG $95 business card gives 4x for restaurants plus 4x gas, wireless and shipping. Better than the 3x on the $450 luxury card.

Currently there are some amazing AMEX offers on the SPG business card but not on our personal card. 10% off Exxon up to $1000 spend ($100 benefit which stacks with the 4x gas) until Nov 30, 10% off Lowes up to $1000, 10% off Staples etc.

We'll have to see how the Luxury card offers compare. If those are similar, then benefit might be worth more than the AF.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The SPG $95 business card gives 4x for restaurants plus 4x gas, wireless and shipping. Better than the 3x on the $450 luxury card.

Currently there are some amazing AMEX offers on the SPG business card but not on our personal card. 10% off Exxon up to $1000 spend ($100 benefit which stacks with the 4x gas) until Nov 30, 10% off Lowes up to $1000, 10% off Staples etc.

We'll have to see how the Luxury card offers compare. If those are similar, then benefit might be worth more than the AF.

These offers you reference must be targeted, at least somewhat, since I do not have those for my business card.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Ken555 I find that these AMEX offers cycle across my various Amex cards. So it might show up on your card next round.

However bloggers have reported clawbacks and abuse by people setting themselves up as an AU for their own card and using these 10% offers on multiple cards by slightly changing their name; this ruins it for everyone.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
As timeshare owners here on TUG, what in the world are you going to do with the points? I have a lot of points now that I combined them. My favorite spend was 12K per night at Swan and Dolphin, and now those night are 50K points. I would be crazy to spend 50K points on a room that costs $250 with taxes included. I am NOT HAPPY.