• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG Keyless

shade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just completed a mattress run to get the 2,500 StarPoints bonus. Researched to find the cheapest property and date. Turned out an Aloft near Phoenix airport was $109 on a Friday night. I still don't understand why a Friday night would be the cheapest option, but nevertheless. Check-in was a little stumbling. Desk folks couldn't get Keyless to operate. After closing and opening the SPG app it finally came around after about 20 minutes.
I had stayed at an Aloft a few years ago. This room had some maintenance issues. I informed the desk and they fixed quickly. I took advantage of the Green option and picked up another 250 points. The room was noisy for me. A Friday after all.
At checkout for $123 all in, I will get almost 3,000 StarPoints. That is worth it to me to use in a Fall trip to Spain.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Just in case you didn't know... You can buy airline and hotel points unless you need status points.

3,000 spg points can be bought for $105

Cost is $.035 per point. Purchase up to 20,000 per account per calendar year; points are applicable toward all Starpoint awards but do not count toward elite status. All other Starwood Preferred Guest program rules, terms and conditions apply.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paying over $.04/starpoint solely for a mattress run doesn't make sense unless there are other circumstances we aren't aware of.

Certainly if you were trying to reach a specific elite tier I get it, but in January this doesn't make sense (except in the rare case that you are trying to make lifetime elite prior to the merging of the Marriott/Starwood programs).

-ryan

shade

TUG Member
Reaction score
I make my hotel reservations almost a year in advance. Used a large amount to get 12 days in Madrid and Valencia. Building my account now to get another day. 3,000 topped me off. Got a day in a hotel as well. Enjoyed being near the ASU restaurant district along Mill Avenue.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paying over $.04/starpoint solely for a mattress run doesn't make sense unless there are other circumstances we aren't aware of.

Certainly if you were trying to reach a specific elite tier I get it, but in January this doesn't make sense (except in the rare case that you are trying to make lifetime elite prior to the merging of the Marriott/Starwood programs).

-ryan

With the uncertainty of what will happen, I would not try to get elite for life just before the merger, but that is just me.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the uncertainty of what will happen, I would not try to get elite for life just before the merger, but that is just me.
Maybe not for you, but it really depends on the situation.

Marriott and Starwood thresholds for lifetime are different. If you are near the cusp of Starwood thresholds it may be worth it to top up before the merger (which might be the case if you are trying to do a 3k mattress run as the OP did).

Most likely lifetime thresholds will be converted in some fashion or there will be outrage from loyal Starwood customers. If you are near the threshold, it would be smart to top up as insurance. I do agree if you are far away this does not make sense.

Ryan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe not for you, but it really depends on the situation.

Marriott and Starwood thresholds for lifetime are different. If you are near the cusp of Starwood thresholds it may be worth it to top up before the merger (which might be the case if you are trying to do a 3k mattress run as the OP did).

Most likely lifetime thresholds will be converted in some fashion or there will be outrage from loyal Starwood customers. If you are near the threshold, it would be smart to top up as insurance. I do agree if you are far away this does not make sense.

Ryan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I agree about doing it if you only need a few nights. I was speaking in generalities. I should have highlighted that since I made my comment in a thread related to a single night mattress run to get SPG for a trip to Europe.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Just completed a mattress run to get the 2,500 StarPoints bonus. Researched to find the cheapest property and date. Turned out an Aloft near Phoenix airport was $109 on a Friday night. I still don't understand why a Friday night would be the cheapest option, but nevertheless. Check-in was a little stumbling. Desk folks couldn't get Keyless to operate. After closing and opening the SPG app it finally came around after about 20 minutes.
I had stayed at an Aloft a few years ago. This room had some maintenance issues. I informed the desk and they fixed quickly. I took advantage of the Green option and picked up another 250 points. The room was noisy for me. A Friday after all.
At checkout for $123 all in, I will get almost 3,000 StarPoints. That is worth it to me to use in a Fall trip to Spain.

Looks like the SPG Keyless system is a pain and useless in my perspective.

https://www.spgpromos.com/keyless/

When we were at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club for 2-weeks in December, I opted for their new waterproof RFID wristband keys. They were $10 for the 1st key and $5 for each additional key. I can use them in the future at any Marriott TS or hotel that has converted over to the new system: they just have to reprogram them for the new room. I absolutely luv'd the wristband key. So easy to enter the room when your hands are full. Swam with it on, sat in the hot tubs, and even SCUBA dove multiple times with it on, all with no problems. I could not have used the SPG wireless and I would have demagnetized or lost a standard room key.

https://www.marriottvacationclub.co...t-Wristband-Room-Key-to-Support-Charity.shtml

Last edited: