• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG AMEX and Maintenance Fees

iluvwdw

Reaction score
HI all. I always pay my Starwood MFs with my SPG Amex. I thought I received 3 points for every dollar, but I only got 2 for every dollar this year. I contacted AMEX and they said they never heard of 3 points for every dollar and that I'd have to call SPG to find out about the additional points. I called SPG and they had no answer for me. So now there is an investigation on my SPG account to find out what's going on with these additional points...or even if I'm entitled to them!

Can you tell me your experience with paying your Starwood MFs with your SPG Amex? Did you get 2 points for every dollar or 3?

Thanks in advance. :)

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
I will check, but my failing memory says two points.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I also only got 2 miles per $ spent. You should get 2 for using the Starwood Amex + a 50% bonus if you're SPG gold.

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
You should get 2 for using the Starwood Amex + a 50% bonus if you're SPG gold.

You will NOT get any additional points for gold. This has been addressed many times on the board. The bonus for gold only applies to charges at a hotel, not timeshare maintenance.

At most (all?) resorts, if you pay your maintenance by Starwood Amex, you will get double points. I vaguely recall that there might have been some resorts which were coded as single points by Amex, but I'm not sure about that.

PS to the OP:

I normally don't point out to posters that they should have searched first. Doing so appears to be against the culture on this board. (On many others, you would already have been flamed several times by now.)

However, this response is a good one to use to point out how it is to your benefit to search to see if your question has been asked many times before. It's not just that it's impolite not to do so. It's also because, if you search, you can see everything that anyone has ever posted about the topic. It's a lot more likely that you'll get the best answer that way than if you rely on the opinion of only those who happen to be looking right this minute and feel like responding to a question that has been asked and answered many times before.

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lisa - I'm pretty sure the 50% bonus is only for charges at the hotel and is independent of the points given by the credit card

hacker0124

Reaction score
ok...I did post this in a different thread..SPG Gold

"SPG Gold yields two StarPoints for each eligible dollar spent at an elidgible Starwood property . When using the SPG AMEX card, an additional StarPoint is added for each eligible dollar spent."

When using the SPG Amex card, one point is given for every dollar spent on the card.

Thanks for the prompt. I had to check some Amex receipts and some SPG receipts.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Lisa - I'm pretty sure the 50% bonus is only for charges at the hotel and is independent of the points given by the credit card

That explains why I only received 2x points from my recent MF payment.

iluvwdw

Reaction score
You will NOT get any additional points for gold. This has been addressed many times on the board. The bonus for gold only applies to charges at a hotel, not timeshare maintenance.

At most (all?) resorts, if you pay your maintenance by Starwood Amex, you will get double points. I vaguely recall that there might have been some resorts which were coded as single points by Amex, but I'm not sure about that.

PS to the OP:

I normally don't point out to posters that they should have searched first. Doing so appears to be against the culture on this board. (On many others, you would already have been flamed several times by now.)

However, this response is a good one to use to point out how it is to your benefit to search to see if your question has been asked many times before. It's not just that it's impolite not to do so. It's also because, if you search, you can see everything that anyone has ever posted about the topic. It's a lot more likely that you'll get the best answer that way than if you rely on the opinion of only those who happen to be looking right this minute and feel like responding to a question that has been asked and answered many times before.

Thank you for the response. And btw, I DID do a search but for some reason, NOTHING is coming up when I try to do a search. It will just say NO RESULTS FOUND.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The TUG Search Function is kind of glitchy right now. I'd use google to search TUG, instead. Here's how.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
when you stay at a starwood hotel and you are a gold spg member you will get 3 starpoints for allowable $.
when you use your starwood amex card to pay for anything starwood you get 2 starpoints per $.

so to clarify MF's will get you 2 starpoints per $.
if you stay at a starwood hotel you get the 3 starpoints plus the 2 starpoints if you use the starwood amex card.

mindy35

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score