• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest moving to assigned seats

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Pedro is the one who insisted it had changed based on his experience. He provided a date of that change, just wondering where he got the info.
Probably just a one off situation.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Boarding agents are human
ADA people with legitimate needs are being overrun by seat gamers at SWA
In lieu of being subject to a complaint/twitter attack by a legitimate ADA customer
The boarding agents are just letting the gamers in without a challenge
Their hands are tied -- by law, they cannot ask what their disability is or ask for any proof of the disability. There is plenty of blame to go around, and Congress owns a portion of it by not putting provisions in the law to prevent these scammers.

Kurt

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pedro is the one who insisted it had changed based on his experience. He provided a date of that change, just wondering where he got the info.
I did not said Southwest changed its policy . I only stated this incident is what happen on our return flight from FLL to Virginia In April 2024.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Their hands are tied -- by law, they cannot ask what their disability is or ask for any proof of the disability. There is plenty of blame to go around, and Congress owns a portion of it by not putting provisions in the law to prevent these scammers.

Kurt
You are correct
Congress seems to have problems agreeing and doing anything legislative these days
I guess relying on the seat gamers to act with respect to the intent of the law is asking to much

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club

Kurt
What could they ask for? A piece of paper that is easily fabricated?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I did not said Southwest changed its policy . I only stated this incident is what happen on our return flight from FLL to Virginia In April 2024.
Pedro you said "
Not true in FLL this passed April 2024.
wheel chair passengers boarded first"

I read it to mean that SW had passed a new policy. I guess you meant to say this past April 2024.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Cabo is unique (in my experience). Instead of going through the gate area to the jetway then on to the plane - in some semblance of order - you go outside to a waiting shuttle bus that takes you the the plane. Zero semblance of order. In fact complete chaos. So in Cabo we won't fly home on Southwest.
We experienced this in Puerto Vallarta. Since we were in Group A, it wasn’t that big a deal since the Bus had only 50-60 people in the Bus and the plane holds over 180 or so people so at worst, we had 120 open seats. As it was, we were in the first 20 or so up the air stairs and got the ones we wanted. All the other times we boarded at the gate in Puerto Vallarta so no problem as it was the normal procedure.

No clue how SWA will implement this next year so in the meantime, we’ll keep flying SWA until it gets better defined.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What could they ask for? A piece of paper that is easily fabricated?
Simple -- a national registry that could be easily accessed by service providers that need the information. The technology is relatively simple, but the government is totally incompetent, so it will never happen. Another solution, though not perfect, is a government-issued ID w/ some anti-counterfeiting technology.

And before people jump on my back, I'm not saying the nature of a person's disability needs to be disclosed; just a simple way to provide a verified method to see if a person is or is not eligible for disability status. This would also keep all of those "comfort pet" owners from claiming service dog status.

Kurt

Last edited:

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
Simple -- a national registry that could be easily accessed by service providers that need the information. The technology is relatively simple, but the government is totally incompetent, so it will never happen.

Kurt
Freely sharing private medical information with everyone? So insurance companies could get ahold if it and deny you coverage?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Freely sharing private medical information with everyone? So insurance companies could get ahold if it and deny you coverage?
Read my edited comment above. I added it because I just knew someone would go there. Thanks for not disappointing!

Kurt

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I had a similar issue with boarding on a Vueling flight a few months ago. I had priority boarding as part of my ticket so I checked in first, then they had everyone wait outside for a bus at which point no one cared who had priority or not, so all of the priority passengers boarded with and after others. It ultimately didn’t matter since we had assigned seats, but it was definitely not what should have happened.

Airlines just don’t care, so why do some of you act surprised?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Simple -- a national registry that could be easily accessed by service providers that need the information. The technology is relatively simple, but the government is totally incompetent, so it will never happen. Another solution, though not perfect, is a government-issued ID w/ some anti-counterfeiting technology.

And before people jump on my back, I'm not saying the nature of a person's disability needs to be disclosed; just a simple way to provide a verified method to see if a person is or is not eligible for disability status. This would also keep all of those "comfort pet" owners from claiming service dog status.

Kurt
Yes, the DMV requires medical documentation for a parking placard. Can you imagine if anyone could walk into a DMV and say "I'd like a HC placard" and the workers couldn't ask any questions or require documentation? It is absurd, and anyone who defends the current law/policy/practice does not care about truly disabled people.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes, the DMV requires medical documentation for a parking placard. Can you imagine if anyone could walk into a DMV and say "I'd like a HC placard" and the workers couldn't ask any questions or require documentation? It is absurd, and anyone who defends the current law/policy/practice does not care about truly disabled people.
Medical placards for vehicles is also heavily abused. Anyone that can badger their medical provider enough can easily get one. I am certainly not a fan of any kind of "federal registry".

beejaybee

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
In some states the government is already demanding hospitals release information regarding certain medical procedures so there goes that privacy guarantee under HIPAA. Why couldn't the same criteria used for obtaining handicap parking placards be used for obtaining handicap boarding access?

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
In some states the government is already demanding hospitals release information regarding certain medical procedures so there goes that privacy guarantee under HIPAA. Why couldn't the same criteria used for obtaining handicap parking placards be used for obtaining handicap boarding access?
Won't high income residents just have their procedures done in states that value privacy?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pedro you said "
Not true in FLL this passed April 2024.
wheel chair passengers boarded first"

I read it to mean that SW had passed a new policy. I guess you meant to say this past April 2024.
Sorry. I should had said “past.”

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the Commonwealth of Virginia you need a statement and a reason for a HC placard from a medical physician. Yes! The DMV in Virginia requires medical documentation for a parking placard.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
In the Commonwealth of Virginia you need a statement and a reason for a HC placard from a medical physician. Yes! The DMV in Virginia requires medical documentation for a parking placard.
Same in New Mexico.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Medical placards for vehicles is also heavily abused. Anyone that can badger their medical provider enough can easily get one. I am certainly not a fan of any kind of "federal registry".
That is true, but not a reason to open it up completely to anyone that claims a need.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to fly Southwest a lot but never liked their seating system. The Early Boarding cost kept increasing and seat availability decreased due to all of the people who board early. The EB cost is also higher than preferred seating cost for other airlines. Their standard seats has a little more legroom, but I expect that will change. With the seat assignment change, I will again consider flying SW as long as the total costs are competitive with my other options.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The EB cost is also higher than preferred seating cost for other airlines.
Where have you seen that? Extra-legroom seating on other airlines has always been much more expensive that the EarlyBird on Southwest. Are you maybe thinking of the A1-15 upgrade price which is more than EB?

Kurt

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I flew Southwest recently, as the last leg of a long journey from Europe. I knew the boarding window would open in the middle of the night local time while I was still overseas. Sure enough, the next morning my boarding position was B48, so I bought the A1-15 upgrade to get on early and be able to stow my carryon backpack (which had all my clothes and gear) in the overhead. The SW flight was packed and everyone was bringing aboard their roller suitcases. The $45 was well-spent.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've never had an issue stowing my overhead luggage or getting an aisle/window seat as long as I am in the B boarding group. I may have to be toward the back of the plane, but that is not a big deal to me. The only time I have had issues is if I'm in the C group.

Kurt

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I've never had an issue stowing my overhead luggage or getting an aisle/window seat as long as I am in the B boarding group. I may have to be toward the back of the plane, but that is not a big deal to me. The only time I have had issues is if I'm in the C group.

Kurt
If you are on a flight that has people coming in and continuing, it can be much harder.