• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest Companion Pass is back. Get it quick. [Deadline 3/31/17]

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Also, the predicament of using the Hotel Certificate within 12 months....

Many have said it's not a problem extending the hotel certificate.
I've also asked Marriott CS, and they've said so too; my interpretation of what they told me is "I bought it, it's mine to use..." I plan to use mine 16 months after I bought it.

You won't get sign up bonus in time. However you can buy SPG and Marriott points if need be to get the rest not the best value but if converting to the air / night package it's worth it, especially if getting companion pass and plan on using it. Your spouse can also buy points and you can move between accounts without a fee.

There's no charge for SPG to move points between spousal accounts, but they can take up to 5 business days! Mine did take the whole 5 days. No idea why they need so lo-o-ong....

Last edited:

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Can the Marriott 5 Night Certificate be used at a SPG property?
I am having trouble finding any Cat 5 Marriott I would stay at.
Thx

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Unfortunately not. At some point in the next year you can use more points to upgrade to a higher lvl. That will also extend the very by one year from the time of upgrade.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Unfortunately not. At some point in the next year you can use more points to upgrade to a higher lvl. That will also extend the very by one year from the time of upgrade.
Really? So if I buy Cat 1-5, then in 2018 I use more points to upgrade to Cat 7 it will extend expiration by 1 year? That would be great!!

Also, my husband is Marriott Gold, but isnt on my MVC Deed so I have to buy the 5 Night Package. Any way to get his gold status on the Hotel Certificate or just show at check in so we get the free breakfast?

Thank you.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been working to put together 235K points for a Cat 1-5 Travel Package. I'm wondering if it's worth it. DH and I have not had much domestic flights together for several years. We've flown internationally 3 times to see our daughter in Italy.

My thought about getting the SW CP was that we have (3) trips planned to Marco Island (Nov.), Phoenix (Dec.) and possibly Palm Beach (Jan.) Getting the CP would offer us the opportunity of some more impromptu trips but I'm really not sure where or when. Can you give me your thoughts? No need to read the rest if you don't like long posts. I've detailed the saga more for mostly for myself:

It's been a lot of stress because I've called Owner Services, Marriott Rewards, Manor Club, Orlando all trying to get 25K MR points from a tour/presentation posted.

Yesterday (3/23) was the oddest. I called Marriott Rewards 3 times. Each time the rep was getting ready to tell me about their conversation with Manor Club the phone call dropped.

AFTER you take the sales tour they give you a voucher for the points and say it can take 6 - 8 weeks to post. I told the Manor Club woman (2/21) I would like the points for a travel package that had a time limit. She said to call them if I didn't get the points and they would work on it.

I waited a couple weeks and called Manor Clubs sales. This was a different woman who kept saying it takes 6-8 weeks. I called Owner Services but they said they couldn't help. I called Manor Club back and was given a phone number in Orlando number. (800) 332-1333. I called the Orlando number (3/13) but the person wouldn't listen and insisted I needed to speak with Owner Services. While I was trying to say Owner Services already told me they couldn't help he transferred the call anyway and the next thing I heard was the recording you get when you call OS.

The OS rep listened to my long tale, went to speak with a supervisor, put me on hold a couple times, came back to say he contacted Manor Club and they told him I was supposed to get (2) $75 gift cards. Asked if I had a voucher promising the 25K points. I did so he asked me to fax it to him and he would work on it. On 3/14 I received an email back from him that ended with this: "There is a possibility that they could arrive sooner, but there is unfortunately no way to rush them. I hope this is helpful."

I then called Manor Club back on 3/14 to speak with the same woman who I spoke with after the tour on 2/21. She said she'd work on it and sent me this email:
"Hi there Mrs. ______,
I talked to Data Admin and I think I got it all figured out for you… They will post on the 28th…
Let me know when you get them.
Thanks,"

This was my response to her:
"Thank you _______, you’re the only one so far that can give me any sort of date.
This is what I’m trying to do:
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/01/southwest-companion-pass-transfer-eligibility-march-2017/
If the points post on the 28th I have just 2 days to get the Travel Package and have the miles posted in Southwest. That’s cutting it very close and has the potential of failing. Can you please contact the Data Admin group again? If they have the ability of posting the points on the 28th I’m confident someone has the ability to post them on the 23rd. That way I can order the Travel Package a week before this offer expires.

Dealing with Marriott shouldn’t be so difficult. Why would they want to cause so much stress? If Oceana Palms and Crystal Shores can get points into people’s accounts within days it doesn’t make any sense why I can’t get these before the end of the month.
Thank you again for your help,"

Her response to me (3/14):
"No problem ttys"

When I didn't hear more from her I called Marriott Rewards on Monday (3/20) and told this new rep my hope to get these points for a travel package. She said she'd do some research and "talk to you soon. And when I say talk to you soon I mean tomorrow." That didn't happen.

So I called Marriott Rewards back yesterday 3/23. There was a log noting they received a call from my phone number on 3/20 but no notes from the rep. Rep. #1 on 3/23 listened and said if he couldn't get a solution he would personally put through the 25K. He put me on hold to call Manor Club and just when he was going to tell me what he found out the call dropped. I called back and told Rep. #2 about Rep. #1 calling Manor Club and asked her to call Manor Club to see what they told Rep. #1. Rep. #2 did and just when she was about to tell me the call dropped again. I called a 3rd time but the call dropped after I went through the queue and hold time, just as Rep. #3 came on the line.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
You are right, it shouldn't be that difficult. It seems very reasonable to expect that they should somehow be able to facilitate this for you. Hope it happens

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been working to put together 235K points for a Cat 1-5 Travel Package. I'm wondering if it's worth it. DH and I have not had much domestic flights together for several years. We've flown internationally 3 times to see our daughter in Italy.

My thought about getting the SW CP was that we have (3) trips planned to Marco Island (Nov.), Phoenix (Dec.) and possibly Palm Beach (Jan.) Getting the CP would offer us the opportunity of some more impromptu trips but I'm really not sure where or when. Can you give me your thoughts? No need to read the rest if you don't like long posts. I've detailed the saga more for mostly for myself:

Remember that with the Travel Package, in addition to the CP you are also putting 120,000 reward points. You should be able to do those three trips with points (since CP works with reward trips). So if you can do that and the value of those flights is more than the value of the points, then you are already ahead.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
It's been a lot of stress because I've called Owner Services, Marriott Rewards, Manor Club, Orlando all trying to get 25K MR points from a tour/presentation posted.

I do not look to spend other peoples money but Starwoods is offering up to 30% discount to purchase points. I got the SW pass at Cat 5 travel package and looking at a cat 8 hotel. This cost is 60K points. 20 K starwood points cost $490 with the discount which transfers over to 60K MR. The 120K RR points has gotten me 4 round trip tickets to Aruba (my wife (free), my two kids and me). The best cost was 700 per ticket. I also got two one way tickets to Punta Cana. It is during spring break in NY so the cost was high ($500 for one ticket and my wife was free). The return trip is also 500 but I paid. I am looking to stay at the Playa Largo AC in Key Largo Christmas week which is a cat 8. The cost per night is 700 (I would never spend that much for a hotel room). Even if I add the $490 for the MR points, the SW pass is well worth it for me.

We are looking to go to New Mexico this summer and maybe a long weekend in Chicago. This all being said, we are spending more on vacation than we would normally spend because of this travel package so it may be at the expense of a big slowdown when the pass expires.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You need to make sure each night of the stay is available using points to make sure the cert would work for your dates.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are right, it shouldn't be that difficult. It seems very reasonable to expect that they should somehow be able to facilitate this for you. Hope it happens
I have another step in this frustration.

The points weren't in my account again today so I called Marriott Rewards again. Had to go through the story and told the agent (Rep. #4) about yesterday's calls. She questioned why Rep. #1 didn't call me back. I had asked that same question when I got through to Rep. #2. Rep. #2's response was that as soon as a call drops they immediately get connected to a new call. Today's rep, Rep. #4, said that's true BUT they do have the ability to select a no connect status. She said she needed to contact customer care and asked me to hold. I said I would and if the call disconnected it wasn't because I hung up. She checked back with me several times making sure I was still connected. Out of the blue I began hearing the queue from Manor Club and soon I was talking to Manor Club's front desk. I explained what happened and didn't know what to do from that point so told her I'd call MR back.

While calling MR, but before being connected, I received a call back from Manor Club sales desk. This was same woman who has told me it was going to take 6-8 weeks and gave me Orlando phone number. She said she has emailed requests to the office that posts their points. She seemed to agree this shouldn't be so difficult. I asked if I got another MR rep to call her would she give them the names of the people she was emailing. She said she would if I had them call after her lunch. That way it would be direct connection between MR and whoever is in control of this deposit.

I called MR and got Rep. #5. I got his name and extension just in case we were disconnected. I told him I had written out the whole saga. He asked me to email it to him and while the call was still connected he got the email, read it and said he would deposit the points himself.

We're on the last day of our stay at Ocean Pointe. I had enough of the calls so we came out to enjoy the pool.

While we were sitting in the sun I called Southwest to ask some details about the companion pass and Rapid Rewards. Another call came in while I was on that call. After Southwest, I listened to my voicemail. It was someone with Marriott on Hilton Head wanting to talk to me about these points.

I haven't called back yet. I went in the pool. I'd like to get back to my computer and check my account before I return the call.

Last edited:

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
DH and I have talked more and think this Travel Package may work well for us. The domestic travel in next 2 years is all speculation but there's a chance our DDand SIL will be transferred back to the States . The CP enables us to visit or help with the move.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just the trips you have planned (marco island, palm beach and phoenix) are all serviced by SW. You should easily be able to pay for all 3 flights for one person with the SW points you will get with the package and the other will fly free with the CP. I think that alone makes it worth it, 3 round trips to places you want to go at relatively no cost. AND...you will probably still have more points left over after that.

How many points are you short? Is it just the 25,000 you are waiting on from the presentation?

You mention you are Ocean Point.....I assume you have been charging back to the resort. Those points should hit before the end of the month. 10pts per $1 and whatever bonus you may have for status. It is possible you may get a big chunk towards what you need from that.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's done!!!!

Points were in my account when we got back to the room. I called MR and ordered the TP. First I asked for reps name and extension, just in case the call dropped. I also asked him to make notations about the call just in case I had to call back. Yes, I was a real nervous Nelly.

No time before dinner to return that call to Hilton Head. That can wait for tomorrow. . . Can't imagine what they have to say now after it's all done.

p.s. I've been moving and combining points for over a month for this package. I had used up my SPG points and combined our MR points. I always had the UR points for the balance but, as you can see from above, since it was never really clear if I would get the MR points I wasn't sure how many UR points to transfer. I want to keep my UR points handy in the event my DD needs me to get to Italy or needs them to get home.

As it turned out I did transfer 26K UR points but they hadn't been deposited in the MR account yet.

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's done!!!!

Points were in my account when we got back to the room. I called MR and ordered the TP. First I asked for reps name and extension, just in case the call dropped. I also asked him to make notations about the call just in case I had to call back. Yes, I was a real nervous Nelly.

No time before dinner to return that call to Hilton Head. That can wait for tomorrow. . . Can't imagine what they have to say now after it's all done.

p.s. I've been moving and combining points for over a month for this package.
Really glad you are through this MESS. Enjoy the fruits of your hard work : )

On that note, would you consider writing to someone towards the top end of Marriott - and maybe including your entire written account of all the hoops you had to jump throught? Maybe your written story can help correct whatever wrong has gotten into Marriott - I sure wouldn't want to get stuck in this situation the next I go down a similar path. As others have noted, it should NOT BE DIFFICULT, what you were trying to do...

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really glad you are through this MESS. Enjoy the fruits of your hard work : )

On that note, would you consider writing to someone towards the top end of Marriott - and maybe including your entire written account of all the hoops you had to jump throught? Maybe your written story can help correct whatever wrong has gotten into Marriott - I sure wouldn't want to get stuck in this situation the next I go down a similar path. As others have noted, it should NOT BE DIFFICULT, what you were trying to do...

Yes.

It was helpful to have laid out the details in post #155. That is what I copied and sent to MR rep #5. I will add that to my post #160. Today we move from Ocean Pointe to Grande Ocean via a night in Jacksonville. I think MR is closed on Saturday but OS is open. While we're driving I can call to get a name of someone to send this to.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was fast. Looked in my SW account tonight and the 120K are there. Selected DH for my companion.

The 26K UR points I moved to MR is still haven't posted even though I got an email for the transfer.

After stacking the 235K points in DH's MR account, we decided it would be best if I had the companion pass. So the MR rep moved all the points to my account before selecting the travel package. DH would, most likely, only select me for a flying companion. I, on the other hand, may take my daughter or a girlfriend on a trip.

I read the rules tonight and was surprised to see you can have up to 3 companions per year.

Last edited:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
I read the rules tonight and was surprised to see you can have up to 3 companions per year.

When I looked into this, the way this was explained was the following..
You pick Companion A this is the first pick...you move to Companion B and this is your second pick. You have only one more pick and once this is done so are the changes. This becomes final. As far as the times frame...lets say the Companion pass was earned today. It is good for this year and all of 2018 so about 21 months. The three changes are allowed in the 21 month period. It is not 3 changes for 2017 and 3 for 2018.

Please let me know if you understood differently. I would love it to be 3 changes for 2017 and 3 for 2018.

dima

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to this tread.
Phoned MR Platinum Lline on Saturday and redeemed for 7-night travel package.
Rapid reward miles were on my account on Sunday and CP on Monday!
Very nice and quick!
Looking forward to a lot great trips during the next two years!!!!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please let me know if you understood differently. I would love it to be 3 changes for 2017 and 3 for 2018.

It is calendar year, so you can get 3 in 2017 and 3 in 2018.

From SW T&C

How do I change my Companion Pass designation?

You can change your designated companion and request issuance of a new Companion Pass up to three (3) times each calendar year that you maintain Companion Pass status. Any reservation with the current Companion Pass would need to be cancelled before changing your designated Companion. You can designate a companion through My Account on Southwest.com, but to change your companion you must call 1-800-435-9792. Please allow 21 business days for processing.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is calendar year, so you can get 3 in 2017 and 3 in 2018.

From SW T&C

How do I change my Companion Pass designation?

You can change your designated companion and request issuance of a new Companion Pass up to three (3) times each calendar year that you maintain Companion Pass status. Any reservation with the current Companion Pass would need to be cancelled before changing your designated Companion. You can designate a companion through My Account on Southwest.com, but to change your companion you must call 1-800-435-9792. Please allow 21 business days for processing.

Thank you. I either misunderstood what I was told or the person misunderstood what I asked. In either case I reached out this AM and confirmed what you already knew that you are 100 percent correct.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II

AZGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to transfer my Marriott points for Marriott’s Hotel + Air packages TODAY, 3/30/17 and get the SW Companion pass. How can I expedite the process? Any assistance would be appreciated!

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
I want to transfer my Marriott points for Marriott’s Hotel + Air packages TODAY, 3/30/17 and get the SW Companion pass. How can I expedite the process? Any assistance would be appreciated!
Call Marriott Rewards and buy the package. Took me 90 seconds on the phone. Have the SW # ready. As long as you process by 3/31/17 SW says they will honor points for CP.

AZGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call Marriott Rewards and buy the package. Took me 90 seconds on the phone. Have the SW # ready. As long as you process by 3/31/17 SW says they will honor points for CP.
Ok, thanks! I was worried as to what was considered the deadline - the process date or when the 110K points actually hit your SW account?

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told by SWA that as long as the transfer is initiated by 3/31/17 they will honor the companion pass offer, so the actual date that the points post can be after 3/31.