• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Something "BIG" at RCI

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I got onto RCI's website today there is a banner that reads "Something BIG is coming" with the date of this August 19th.

Sorry but I can't wait to see what is in store for a lot of us. Does anyone know what this is about?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No, but why does my credit card feel hot?

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something New

Maybe they will be implementing the pay extra for some better inventory! It seems they were playing with that concept last year on the web site, then it suddenly disappeared. Want to bet almost all trades will be classified as premium inventory?! My credit card feels hot too!

roadsister

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Let's hope it will be something users want to see.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Let's hope it is not "Something Big" that appears in the road after an elephant parade passes by.:rolleyes:

Cheers

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
No one knows. There are threads on other BBS boards. I am hoping for an improved search engine. I know they discontinued MY RCI.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
At least they didn't call it an ''enhancement''. That is airline corporate speak for hosing the customers, while telling us that is really something customers asked for!

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something BIG

OK, I will tell you a BIG secret: to beat the competition RCI plans to reduce exchange fees by 50% !:banana:

K.

short

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe they will be implementing the pay extra for some better inventory! It seems they were playing with that concept last year on the web site, then it suddenly disappeared. Want to bet almost all trades will be classified as premium inventory?! My credit card feels hot too!

I vote for this idea. Miles plus cash or Exchange plus cash to be able to get the exchange that right out of your reach.

Better yet would be a disclosed value assigned to each deposit so you can combine or mix and match to get your dream exchange. Something like a Redweek exchange value system.

Short

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
At least they didn't call it an ''enhancement''. That is airline corporate speak for hosing the customers, while telling us that is really something customers asked for!

RCI already "enhanced" their points product, which was laughable, because they said owners wanted it (just as you said), but all we ended up with was devalued points. :(

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I vote for this idea. Miles plus cash or Exchange plus cash to be able to get the exchange that right out of your reach.

Better yet would be a disclosed value assigned to each deposit so you can combine or mix and match to get your dream exchange. Something like a Redweek exchange value system.

Short

Dream exchanges have 1-in-4 rules, so maybe they are getting rid of those limts. :D

There are many great weeks that will exchange into most anything outside of priority periods for various systems, and cheaply. My powerful exchangers have maintenance fees of $460 per week.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So is it the "First ever 40% Off Sale" on Extra Vacations that starts tomorrow?

Is that BIG?

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received an e-mail from RCI, stating that for tomorrow only, they are reducing Extra Vacations...to selected areas in the US and Caribbean... by 40%. It will be interesting to see this list!

Dori

Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received an e-mail from RCI, stating that for tomorrow only, they are reducing Extra Vacations...to selected areas in the US and Caribbean... by 40%. It will be interesting to see this list!

Dori

Same here!!! They will probably double the usual price and then give 40% off.

cotraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dori

Hmmm, I read that and thought it meant that there will be 40% less Extra Vacations. Not that they will cost 40% less.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
I mistakenly thought this might have something to do with exhanges... isn't that the business they are supposed to be in? Seems all they care about now is renting out weeks.

regatta333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
I mistakenly thought this might have something to do with exhanges... isn't that the business they are supposed to be in? Seems all they care about now is renting out weeks.

I guess that will mean even less going into the last-minute exchange inventory. I guess now, it will only go into the exchange pool if it fails to rent at a 40% discount.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Ever since I got involved with timeshares about nine years ago, and figured out the overall process, I concluded that general rentals would likely be a part of the business plan for any rental company - certainly any company that I would start.

There's just too big a gap in value between vacation condos and hotel rooms - savvy entrepreneurs will take advantage of that spread, and exchange companies are better positioned to do that for timeshares than any other entity.

In the whole ownership market, ResortQuest is a major player. I think Wyndham is moving to try to compete with ResortQuest - one thing Wyndham is doing is allowing FairShare owners to put up theur units for rental on Expedia.com and Hotels.com. If that works out, owners should come out money ahead on rental even after giving up 35% of the gross because they should be able to get rates that are closer to resort general rental rates.

Over time the gap in value between condo and hotel rooms is going to shrink; IMHO fighting that is simply tilting at windmills. If you don't like exchange companies trying to fill some of that gap, it would be good to consider whom else you might end up battling.

stonebroke

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Prices Seem Different

The discount doesn't appear online if you try to make a reservation. I was looking at Massanutten in October. The Gold Crown's are more expensive. The full kitchen (as opposed to the partial) is now more expensive. I hadn't checked for awhile so I don't know if that price increase for Gold Crown resorts is new or not. Some weeks are also more expensive but it might be a reflection of resort activities those weekends.

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny, but I noticed some more desirable inventory that was previously in Last Calls was missing during the 40% off sale and now that the sale is over, the inventory has returned to Last Calls. Specifically where 1br full kitchens were available, only studio partial kitchens were available during the sale.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vacation travel is way off this year (especially the carribbean) due to high fuel costs and high air fares. What a surprise that RCI is discounting inventory that they are having a hard time renting.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Funny, but I noticed some more desirable inventory that was previously in Last Calls was missing during the 40% off sale and now that the sale is over, the inventory has returned to Last Calls. Specifically where 1br full kitchens were available, only studio partial kitchens were available during the sale.

They downsized Last Call units from 1 br to studio size and had the nerve to promote it as "Something BIG"?!!! :rofl:

markel

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only thing "BIG" with RCI is that they are a "BIG" JOKE !!! They sure do have nerve though !!

Mark

roadsister

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Good catch! Those rascals!