• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Social Security Number to transfer Mexican Resort [duplicates merged]

Jodi0415

TUG Member
Reaction score
Non-Hilton questions...

So siddenly I'm skiddish! After nearly 3 months, Hacienda Del Mar in Cabo is asking for our social security numbers. Hacienda Del Mar is a RTU vacation club.

I don't recall providing our social security numbers to the resorts of our other timeshares, is this common practice?

What would do you think happen if we didn't provide them?

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Non-Hilton questions...

So siddenly I'm skiddish! After nearly 3 months, Hacienda Del Mar in Cabo is asking for our social security numbers. Hacienda Del Mar is a RTU vacation club.

I don't recall providing our social specify numbers to the resorts of our other timeshares, is this common practice?

They want a SSN so they can check your credit (for MF payment purposes). I was asked for SSN, a copy of my DL, bank account numbers, etc., and I simply wrote on the form "Call for Info" and they processed us without the information. This was Club Velas.

Jodi0415

TUG Member
Reaction score
They want a SSN so they can check your credit (for MF payment purposes). I was asked for SSN, a copy of my DL, bank account numbers, etc., and I simply wrote on the form "Call for Info" and they processed us without the information. This was Club Velas.

Oh no! I don't want an inquiry. What will happen if we don't provide it? And they certainly aren't getting our banking info!!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should ask this to be moved to the Mexican timeshare forum. Under HGVC, most Mexican resort owners will never see the question and they are the most likely to know the answer to your question.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to provide my SS# to several timeshare companies when purchasing resale units. I have always refused and never had a problem. This includes Marriott and Starwood. If I'm told they must have it I tell them I will provide it to a supervisor directly over the phone and only after they provide me with a copy of the policy that explains how they will safeguard my personal information. All purchases went through without the number being provided.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Non-Hilton questions...

I don't recall providing our social specify numbers to the resorts of our other timeshares, is this common practice?

I would not provide it to a Mexican TS. They should not need it. And, nothing good can come from that.

Last edited:

Jodi0415

TUG Member
Reaction score
Social security number to Mexican timeshare?

So suddenly I'm skiddish! After nearly 3 months, Hacienda Del Mar in Cabo is asking for our social security numbers.

I don't recall providing our social security numbers to the resorts of our other timeshares, is this common practice?

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Perhaps request is to prevent "Viking Ship" LLC purchase

See 2nd / same post / responded to both threads of OP!

Last edited:

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
I own contracts as 4 different Cabo resorts and never heard of such a thing. Why would they need it if there is no earned income coming to you?
Sounds like an identity theft scam. I'd tell them ya sure a soon as you receive your Nigerian lotto cash!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Perhaps request is to prevent "Viking Ship - LLC purchase transfer

Just a thought - the resort may have been burnt by a prior transfer(s) to "Viking Ship "LLC's ,and requesting the Social Security number is a roundabout way of preventing that from happening.

As others have posted - you may be able to find an easy way to show them that you are a real person and interested in using the TS and paying MF.

I would imagine that is what the resort is ultimately interested in having .

Jodi0415

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses!! This group has been invaluable!!!

I will call the resort tomrrow and be as sugary sweet as I can to reassure them but I will NOT give them our social security numbers.

It's almost time to pay the MF anyway. Perhaps they can send me the the bill and an early payment for 2017 will appease them.

I won't cry if they refuse to transfer this resort! It was free! If they refuse to transfer it, that would free us up to buy more Hilton points or StarOptions!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
OTHER REASONS - Global banking security issues on money movement

I understand as TS owners we are aware of the prevalence of scammers
looking to grab (our) money < and I am excluding developer TS sales in this post>

That said- it is important to realize that in today's global world the governments and bank systems that "control" the international flow of money are looking to find anyone sending money for nefarious reasons - scams, frauds, tax evasion ,drug dealing cartels and terrorist financing .

If you are an American living outside the USA and have had to make an annual FBAR filing-(listing every"foreign " bank account you have --( even if $ 0.01 ) to the US Government ,you will know of which I speak . (FBAR required since about 2012 -13 )

I think these requests will become more common . NOT that I am happy about it either .

That said - I do think that primarily the request the OP listed is because the resort realizes that "Viking Ship LLC's do not have SSN and they want a real person on any contract they allow to be transferred - so that they continue to get a MF payment every year .

So as long as you can convince them you are a real person and will pay I am sure that may suffice in 2015 -16

Last edited: