• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So, who wants to go to Cuba?

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Now that things have changed in Cuba...and with the likelihood that travel restrictions for US citizens could be relaxed in the next year or so...who is hoping to go there? I've wanted to visit Cuba for the longest time, just to see the old architecture, the vintage cars still on the roads, and just to see how folks live.

Are there timeshare resorts in Cuba now? I thought I had read that some Canadian resort developers were building there. Assuming RCI and other US based exchange companies aren't legally allowed to broker exchanges into Cuba's resorts, how does one search for any vacation exchanges to Cuba, if they even exist?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
A quick Google search on "Cuba timeshare" turned up plenty of results. So it sounds like there is definitely a fledgling market there.

Dave

brother coony

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have also wanted to go to Cuba for a long time, Just for the food, My brother went in the early 90 , said the food was not fance but the taste was great, never went on a bus or taxi rented a bicyle and rode all over, (No Crime) the Island and loved it
I still kick myself for not going when Clinton was Pres.:cheer:

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and daughter went there a few years ago on an University Study trip (leagal) over spring break. It was quite a trip. Like stepping back into the 50's.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We wanted to see Cuba when we were in Grand Cayman but decided not to after asking tuggers what they thought.

silvib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of the top Spanish hotel chains are already there, that might be a good way to start, or at least a timeshare that is all inclusive, such as they have in the Dominican Republic. We would both like to go, it's not far from FL!!

catwgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to go. I had not heard that travel restrictions could be lifted. I thought that it was going to be business as usual there.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
From what I've read and heard, they don't expect any major changes in Cuba or it's relationship with the US, until the current generation of leaders is gone.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's a very popular vacation destination from up here north of the 49th, especially from eastern Canada.

I think I might see how things go politically before I plan a visit there.

Reaction score
They replaced Fidel with Raul, Fidel's brother. I don't think US's relationship with Cuba is gonna change any time soon. I would like to visit Cuba but that trip in on the back burner.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope it happens.... Count me in!! Cuba is the largest island in the caribbean. There has to be plenty of great beaches. And it's a short trip from the US. (90 miles from Key West,FL)

silverfox82

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cuba does not bar us from visiting, we bar us. If you chose to break the law, US citizens can travel thru other countries, Cuba will not stamp your passport. I for one would love to go but not at the risk of breaking the US laws.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neesie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Count me in as someone who would love to go!

However, a timeshare is not the way I would want to spend my time there. Same goes for my dream trip to Venice, Italy. It's just not the way I picture it.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Count me in as someone who would love to go!

However, a timeshare is not the way I would want to spend my time there. Same goes for my dream trip to Venice, Italy. It's just not the way I picture it.
=============================

Just curious;; How does staying in a t/s affect your stay in Cuba?

Neesie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Timeshares in the mountains at ski resorts, all over the beaches of Florida and Hawaii, but when it comes to a historical type place I am going to go for the ambiance. In my experience most timeshares are larger properties away from the city. (Nob Hill in SF & Gaslamp Suites in San Diego and a couple in New Orleans are exceptions).

My dream vacation is Venice, Italy. I can see renting at a small pension there. I have no idea what my timeshare opportunities are there because I have no interest in isolating myself outside of the Venice I am going to see.

On a smaller scale consider Wisconsin Dells. My family vacationed there when my kids were smaller. The resort, Peppertree at Tamarack, was about 5 miles outside of the actual town. It was large and spread out. We had to drive everywhere. It was nice but we would have preferred being walking distance to the little attractions in town.

When we went back a couple years later we booked a suite at a small motel right on Main Street. Our kids were teens then, and could walk to the bowling alley, the fudge shop, the pizza place etc. Us adults went to the local pub at night and were able to walk back to our room. The freedom of walking and not driving was worth not having a kitchen and multiple bathrooms. My preference. It just seems that in older, established towns the newer timeshares are located further out.

pambroselli86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't Wait

I have been thinking for a long time it will be great when the govt there changes. I like the money I earn and can not wait to spend it there and let the people there prosper. I do not have any interest in sharing what I have with a tyrant dictator.

:ignore: Sorry to get political but we all have the benefit of an open society, thus this unrestricted forum.

Paul

LauraS93

Reaction score
I'd love to visit Cuba at some point. And it'd be great to get my hands on some of their cigars! :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have been thinking for a long time it will be great when the govt there changes. I like the money I earn and can not wait to spend it there and let the people there prosper. I do not have any interest in sharing what I have with a tyrant dictator.

:ignore: Sorry to get political but we all have the benefit of an open society, thus this unrestricted forum.

Paul

Wellllllll...You might want to review the posting rules for TUG... ;)

Discussions of politics, religion, or controversial social issues prohibited

Last edited:

CatLovers

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not have any interest in sharing what I have with a tyrant dictator.

We Canadians on the other hand have no such qualms. :D Canadians have been visiting Cuba in droves for over two decades now, and if the repeat visitor rate is any indication, they love it there! In some places in Cuba, there is more Quebec French spoken than English! I myself was there once back in 1994 and the one thing that still remains with me is how incredibly welcoming, friendly and generous the people were. Interestingly enough, all the people we talked to (at least at that time) harbored no ill will towards U.S. citizens (a lot more Americans find a way to visit than I think most people realize). When we wondered why, the common thread in their answers was that just because Cubans didn't agree with U.S. government policies did not mean that they did not like individual American citizens. Their general response: goverment policies are not always reflective of the beliefs of individual citizens. So true ... and I remember thinking at the time what a mature attitude that was.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was there twice for several weeks at a time in the '70s. Unfortunately, I had to stay in one place and was surrounded by two minefields (one US, one Cuban)!

pambroselli86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please accept my sincere apology. I will be sure to mind my manners from now on. Thank you Denise for pointing out my error.

Paul

merc

Reaction score
There are shops all over Cancun selling Cuban cigars if you want to find one without going to Cuba. As a matter of interest, waiting for our flight in the rapidly expanding Cancun airport, and watching the departure screens for a couple of hours, there were about twice as many flights departing for Canada as the US. (Cancun and the Mayan Riviera set tourist visit records last year at a combined 6.3 million visits.) Is this another place besides Cuba that Canadians visit more than Americans? Incidentally, I am sure I saw Americans boarding flights to Havana from Cancun.

Reaction score
I'll wait until there's a direct flight, or at least a flight that doesn't require connecting in a foreign country for no good reason.

CatLovers

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
As a matter of interest, waiting for our flight in the rapidly expanding Cancun airport, and watching the departure screens for a couple of hours, there were about twice as many flights departing for Canada as the US. (Cancun and the Mayan Riviera set tourist visit records last year at a combined 6.3 million visits.) Is this another place besides Cuba that Canadians visit more than Americans?

While I don't know any actual statistics, this wouldn't surprise me at all. I mean, if you lived in Canada and had the choice in the winter to freeze in your boots or head south and lie on the beach, which would you choose? :) All kidding aside, if the travel ads in my local newspaper are any indication, Canadians must travel south to Mexico and the Caribbean as often as they possibly can.

Incidentally, I am sure I saw Americans boarding flights to Havana from Cancun.

Also wouldn't surprise me at all. Friends who visit Cuba frequently tell me that they meet many many Americans there all the time - must route through Canada or Mexico to get there, and since the Cuban immigrations officers don't stamp their passports, there's no record that might cause them trouble back home.