• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Snowbirding with pets

jkb

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband & I are retired (mid 60's) and want to start the snowbirding experience in order to escape the PA winters. We are considering central FL to start testing the waters. We do not want to buy a place and have the owner-related problems & responsibilities to deal with until we have found a place where we would like to go every year & maybe eventually consider it as a permanent relocation. However, we have 6 cats that must come with us. We would never consider leaving them for 3 - 4 months back home with a cat sitter or trusted friend. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? How do you find someone to talk with about short term rentals that allow cats? What do you suggest? Any recommendations or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that you start searching renta!s in places you think you would like to return of relocate to. Then go without the kitties for a couple of weeks to reconnoiter. Perhaps enlist a relocation or property management firm. They should have access to longer term leases in pet friendly properties.

Good luck, but with that large a flock, it is not going to be easy.

Jim

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
VRBO and the likes are about the only place to find pet friendly rentals. Most timeshares don't allow pets. I have taken our dog to the Oregon Coast through a VRBO. I really liked having him there and I am sure he liked being with us.

Bill

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it unrealistic to expect to find any rental that will accept 6 cats. You should look to purchase a property where you want to settle if you intend to bring that many animals with you. Keep in mind that moving animals around might not be easy on them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I agree with the previous posts. Look for places that may be pet friendly and take one or two cats at first, then if you relocate can bring the rest with you?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think there is a major difference between landlords who allow pets vs. " allow six cats " -- I was also wondering whether traveling that distance with them is something you have done on a regular basis? Not my nature to be a naysayer, just thinking you need to be realistic in your planning.

MPERL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am going to venture to say no reasonable/sensible/rational landlord will permit a a tenant to have more than 2 cats.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay ... you appear to have taken all the above posters a step or 3 back .. when you posted about 6 cats being part of your family.

If you owned just a single PET ... and someone want to bring their 6 10lb dogs to your vacation home, what reaction would you have? And would YOU agree to 6 unknown pets living inside your property?

And if you think that would be just fine .. ask 5 people on the street about the 6 cats in ANY rental home.

I, as a landlord, would NOT want 6 cats, 6 dogs, 6 birds, OR 6 of anything in my rental property ... and not even living outside in the yard.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many condo associations and mobile home parks do not allow pets or only allow 1 or 2. I would think finding a rental for that many cats would be very difficult. Even purchasing someplace that has a HOA would probably be a problem.

I've snowbirded in Florida for 15 years and now live here full-time and have dealt with and knowledge of many places with HOA's.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
As someone with allergies, I would hate to think that a prior renter had six cats. No way would a basic cleaning get all the dander out of the place.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you look online for pet-friendly travel discussion boards, you may be able to find other pet owners with advice for you. I was trying to find boarding for our dog a couple of years ago, and I found some boards where there were many helpful owners. Good luck!

majkirk

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband & I are retired (mid 60's) and want to start the snowbirding experience in order to escape the PA winters. We are considering central FL to start testing the waters. We do not want to buy a place and have the owner-related problems & responsibilities to deal with until we have found a place where we would like to go every year & maybe eventually consider it as a permanent relocation. However, we have 6 cats that must come with us. We would never consider leaving them for 3 - 4 months back home with a cat sitter or trusted friend. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? How do you find someone to talk with about short term rentals that allow cats? What do you suggest? Any recommendations or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

majkirk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure in the Davenport and Haines City area of Central Florida, near Orlando, you can find a mobile home park that will have a rental available for you and six cats. Many rentals available in these parks and some flexibility with pets. Six cats, though, is going to be a tough try for a condo.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I cannot imagine and rental will allow 6 cats. 2 is usually the limit for condos. You may want to rent a large RV and spend your winters at a RV lots instead.

Note: I don't like RVs and I love cats.