• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Snow tires year round?

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I need new tires, and we have a bit of a slope on our driveway. Frequently get stuck if a layer of ice or a few inches of snow. The mechanic suggested snow tires, and just leave them on all year. He does.
Anyone do this? What are the pros and cons?
Thanks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We have snow rated tires on our 4WD year round - that's what they came with. You can't tell any difference.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I need new tires, and we have a bit of a slope on our driveway. Frequently get stuck if a layer of ice or a few inches of snow. The mechanic suggested snow tires, and just leave them on all year. He does.
Thanks.

Pros: You will be able to get up your driveway easier.

Cons: More road noise, rougher ride, worse gas mileage.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Snow vs all season?

Snow are also a softer compound so will wear out quicker on hot dry road.

All season compromise the softness of the compound to give better summer wear.

Summer are a compound that works best over 60f and too had below that.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have snow rated tires on our 4WD year round - that's what they came with. You can't tell any difference.

M+S rated tires are different than dedicated snow tires which is what I'm assuming the mechanic is talking about. as mentioned, the softer compound of snow tires will wear extremely fast so if you drive a lot they will wear out fast.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We have all season tires on our vehicles and leave them on year round. Only 1 of our 3 vehicles is 4 WD, although they are all front wheel drive. Since we live in Minnesota, we deal with lots of snow and ice! We haven't bothered with real "snow tires" for years, although it used to be common here that you'd have two sets of tires and change them for the season. The all season tire seems to have replaced that concept. We do make sure that we don't let the tires get too thin in the tread, because that makes a big difference in traction, so replace them a bit sooner than you might if you drove with no snow.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
All Season tires would help- over Summer, or economy tires, and the first season would provide almost as much traction as full-on snow tires. In subsequent years, their traction can be reduced, and siping them can help there. I'd do it, for the peace of mind.

Jim

visor

Reaction score
If OP is only concerned about the driveway, then easiest is just to salt it frequently.

As others mentioned, snow tires are softer compound, so if used all year round, will wear out quickly in your first 2 yrs such that it'll be useless by your third winter.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Wow! That's hard to believe

We have all season tires on our vehicles and leave them on year round. Only 1 of our 3 vehicles is 4 WD, although they are all front wheel drive. Since we live in Minnesota, we deal with lots of snow and ice! We haven't bothered with real "snow tires" for years, although it used to be common here that you'd have two sets of tires and change them for the season. The all season tire seems to have replaced that concept.

I'm surprised, since Minnesota sees a lot of snow. There is a debate in Ontario about legally requiring snow tires in winter. Quebec does, Dec 15 - Mar 15. And my insurance company gives me a discount for having snow tires.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised, since Minnesota sees a lot of snow. There is a debate in Ontario about legally requiring snow tires in winter. Quebec does, Dec 15 - Mar 15. And my insurance company gives me a discount for having snow tires.

Maple_Leaf....Just read last night that Ontario has mandated auto insurance companies to give snow tire discounts effective January 1. Discounts are being left to the industry, but are expected to range from 3-5%. I don't have a snow tire discount and have been driving on snows for 20 years....and they do make a big difference. I just helped my son pick out winter tires this past weekend for his first car bought this past spring....he thinks he can get by without them in the nations capital, but I convinced him to trust Dad. Going to call my insurer this week about a discount.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The dreaded four letter word now apppears...

I hope that a moderator will step in and put a stop to the use of this profanity. ;)

More seriously, I've found all season tires to be an acceptable (and certainly more convenient) alternative to swapping out for snow tires. Our vehicles are small SUV's with front wheel drive and 4WD as an option.

Don't have any idea where the OP lives --- not indicated in the OP post. Location might well be a significant factor in tires decision / selection. :shrug:

Last edited:

antjmar

Reaction score
Thanks.

I personally wouldnt do this. The handling and braking is reduced quite a bit when using those tires in the summer.
see this report.

https://www.caaquebec.com/fileadmin...en_ETE_Version_finale_Septembre_2008ABANG.pdf

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten

I live in Minneapolis/St Paul metro, where snow plowing and road salt is a science. It takes a pretty big blizzard to slow us down...the kind where they pull the plows because they can't keep up. But I did live for many years on a small street with a slope. There were a few days each winter when getting up the hill was a challenge because the plows hadn't made it to us yet. But with front wheel drive and all season tires we could make it by driving down to the cup de sac end, so we'd have a rolling start before we got to the slope! I might have a different view if I lived in more rural Minnesota.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need new tires, and we have a bit of a slope on our driveway. Frequently get stuck if a layer of ice or a few inches of snow. The mechanic suggested snow tires, and just leave them on all year. He does.[/B]
Thanks.

My thought was, look for a different mechanic ;)

As mentioned, snow tires are a much softer compound, and will wear out much faster.

Is your mechanic also offering to sell you tires?

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is your mechanic also offering to sell you tires?

No. He gave me a website to order them from (not connected with the dealer or a specific manufacturer).

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My husband refuses to put snow tires on my car or his. (I have a little Honda Fit). The car has all-season tires on it and he says they are good enough. He has a RAV 4, which at least is an all wheel drive vehicle. But the Fit is just front wheel drive and our driveway is very long and steep. So- on days I know the weather will be very bad, I take our CRV- again- with all season tires on it- but at least it is all wheel drive. We live in a rural area as well and commute. I hate driving when it snows. I can't wait until I can retire and just turn over in my bed and pull the covers over my head on snow days.

Last edited:

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
We use all season tires and get by just fine. But I would think it does depend on where you live. Whenever I think about snow tires in central Virginia, it makes no sense financially for the handful of days when the weather is really that bad. Plus, if the weather is terrible, I just work from home. We do have one small SUV with AWD and all season tires are fine.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I started buying snow tires about 8-10 years ago. I'm lucky I can get them changed over for only $30 even though they are not on rims, since I teach at a high school that has an automotive shop. As soon as I got them both myself and my husband commented that it was amazing that we always got to the ski hill before buying winter tires. We now have 4 cars (one for our daughter and one for our son) and all of them have a set of snow tires. Our philosophy is we will never know if they save us (or our kids) from getting in an accident but if they do it was money well spent. I see snow tires like defensive driving it just makes it more likely you will not be in an accident. Now we are in Calgary with a long and generally cold/snowy winter.

Joan

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Savvy drivers buy their snow tires their own set of wheels vs. removing them and exchanging them annually from one set of wheels ;)

Ask any auto mechanic, except one that suggests running snow tires year round.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I have run all season M+S tires year around on my AWD SUV for the past 10 years. They last 40-50k miles.

I spend three months in Steamboat Springs CO during ski season in up to two feet of Champagne Powder and the rest of the year mostly in Ohio.

Never had an issue in the snow. If you get ice, the only thing that will work is studded tires and I don't know if they even manufacture them anymore. ;)

Cheers

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO people who use all season tires in winter in places where there could be even a dusting of snow, or icy roads, are taking chances. Changing from all season tires to winter tires is more about temperature than about getting snow accumulation. I know in our area the minute our temps drop and there is some moisture on the roads, that is when cars are slipping and sliding, and they are the ones with all season tires.
AWD is about getting your vehicle moving from a dead stop, it is not about braking or steering. This is an interesting article, some good thoughts about winter tires.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/09/do-you-really-need-awd-in-the-snow/index.htm

Last edited: